Will AMD help me

I bought a Ryzen 7 2700X and put on the stock cooler wraith prism to which I opened the UEFI Bios and I was getting 50’C even to my stupid 14 year old brain that clicked something’s not right so I thought the Thermal waste was the suspect and while removing the cooler from my motherboard the Thermal paste decided and hey, I wanna be superglue today and while taking out the cooler out came the Ryzen 7 2700X ripped out of the AM4 Socket with bent pins and still stuck to the cooler. I tried calling AMD Support but Support was closed, I tried opening a ticket and I tried tweeting them. Take note AMD says warranty does not cover bent pins but this I think is an acception. Any help would greatly but appreciated as I ball my eyes out

DE01D234-B467-48FC-8C63-5E2D15494EAA.jpeg

77D2165B-3119-4CAA-B6A8-84631A36CF98.jpeg

This is the main reason why I do not like AMD's retention mechanism, the thermal paste can stick to the CPU when removing the cooler and pull them both out.  The damage looks pretty bad and that wont be covered by any sort of warranty.

Your best option is to try and bend the pins back very very very gently with a small tool like a blade or tweezers.  I can not stress how slowly and carefully you need to do this, if one of the pin's snaps, you are done.

When removing heatsinks that can pull the CPU out with them, it is generally a good idea to let the heatsink warm up a bit to soften the paste, and when removing it gently spin it left and right to help remove it without removing the CPU.

50C in the BIOS isn't that high, remeber at the point the CPU is running all core's at max frequency with little to no load, after you load into Windows and it takes over C states you will see lower idle temps

I'm not 100% sure but that 50C figure might be around 20C higher than actual. AMD has some weird thing where the reported temperature is higher than the actual, though in some tools they fix that (I think Ryzen Master shows actual temp, for example).

You could try calling them but I doubt they'll help you. You could try fixing the pins yourself though.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

You should be able to pry it off

Maybe take a hair dryer and try to thin the thermal paste

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

That looks like you've applied far too much thermal compound to begin with, buddy. Instead of creating tickets, emails, and tweets, call up support so you have human-to-human support and see what you can get out of it.

mechanical keyboard switches aficionado & hi-fi audio enthusiast

switch reviews  how i lube mx-style keyboard switches

4 minutes ago, MiNy said:

That looks like you've applied far too much thermal compound to begin with, buddy. Instead of creating tickets, emails, and tweets, call up support so you have human-to-human support and see what you can get out of it.

That’s not my thermal paste application that’s AMD’s straight out of the box I didn’t take away or add anything

12 minutes ago, MiNy said:

This is a very common thing to happen with PGA chips, minus the bent pins anyway, even with the tiniest (but still sufficient) amount of thermal paste applied.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

5 minutes ago, MiNy said:

Oh I see, my apologies.

That’s okay

Still working on unbending the pins here is the progress 

6F0D0263-D592-4017-A132-73BFBE65785E.jpeg

1 minute ago, X_ANTH0NY_X said:

Be very careful not to overwork the metal pins. If you fiddle too much with them, they WILL snap right off and then it's over and out.

1 hour ago, X_ANTH0NY_X said:

Hey that looks a lot better than the original photo. Just take your time, I almost killed an FX 8350 the exact same way you did that poor 2700x. I unbent it, and it worked fine. 

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

This happened to me with an old Pentium chip which genuinely glued itself to the cooler. I ripped it right out of the socket.

It is a good idea to slowly wiggle the cooler side to side when removing. You'll feel when it finally releases.

As for those pins. Provided none of them have broken off you can try very carefully bending them back. It's possible that if one breaks it may just be a GND pin in which case the CPU could still work.

If it was an important pin there's a very old LTT video about how you can take the pin a put it in the hole it was suppose to go but it may not be a great idea on today's platforms.

8 minutes ago, X_ANTH0NY_X said:

All this help is truly appreciated Thanks guys

You're doing fine. However, I cannot say it enough: please don't overwork the pins!

just keep in mind that when you do go to re insert the cpu it may be a little hard, dont force it up put a little pressure on it since not all pins will be lined up 100%

2 minutes ago, ONOTech said:

The die temperature is about 10C higher, so it's actually 40 C at idle. Sounds about right for a stock 2700X & Wraith Prism.

Especially seeing as, for some reason, some bioses load up the cpu more than windows at idle would. I have a feeling there wasn't a cooling issue.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Success. Thanks to my brother and all the amazing support I don’t know what I would’ve done without all your guys’ help. Everyone of you are legends to me. Thank You!

CB8076A7-3428-456A-98BD-7E708762AD04.jpeg

1FF95309-6875-4F76-9DA7-749C168157F5.jpeg

5 minutes ago, X_ANTH0NY_X said:

Success. Thanks to my brother and all the amazing support I don’t know what I would’ve done without all your guys’ help. Everyone of you are legends to me. Thank You!

Well done! You've done a great job!

I suggest to run some CPU stress test to make sure everything is still fine. It's not because the PC turns on that the system is stable.