4TB SSHD Options

amardilo

Hi there,

I'm looking for 2 4TB HDDs to run in RAID 1 and was hoping someone could give me some recommendations.

I currently have 2 3TB 5200RPM Western Digital Green drives (from 2012) in my PC in a RAID 1 configuration, however I am starting to hear a faint whirring noises that wasn't there previously and it's running low on space. The drive is not my primary drive (those are SSDs) but they are used for some games and work stuff (lots of Virtual Machines and work files) so I'd like to replace them and upgrade them at the same time.

Are there any 4TB SSHD drives that run at 7,200RPM? If not would it be better to go with 2 7200RPM drives or 2 SSHD drives that are 5200RPM?

Do you really need a sshd and 7200rpm?

You really won't notice 7200 rpm, newer bigger drives are faster, so they will be faster anyways.

Id also suggest using stoarge spaces tiering here. That way you get the mirror(raid1) and a ssd cache.

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you really need a sshd and 7200rpm?

You really won't notice 7200 rpm, newer bigger drives are faster, so they will be faster anyways.

I don't need both really just thought if I am upgrading I might as well go with both. I do feel like some games on my HDDs take a while to load so I thought maybe getting a SSHD and/or a 7200RPM drive might help.

1 hour ago, amardilo said:

I don't need both really just thought if I am upgrading I might as well go with both. I do feel like some games on my HDDs take a while to load so I thought maybe getting a SSHD and/or a 7200RPM drive might help.

Nah, SSHDs don't really do much for games. It's more of an Optane-like solution for speeding up boot times and frequently used files. If you load 10 different games over a week period, none of them will be cached properly because the cache is too small for that. Just get regular 7200RPM 4TB drives. The Toshiba P300 is a pretty reliable drive from what I've read and it's on the cheap side of 4TB disks. If you want to spend some more the WD RE/Gold (not Red) is the way to go. Enterprise grade drives, those.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Hey OP. As far as our Solid State Hybrid Drives (current Seagate branding: FireCuda) go, both the 2.5", 5400 RPM and 3.5", 7200 RPM versions top out at 2TB capacity.

Our 3.5" BarraCuda does come in 4TB, but the dealio there is that capacities 1TB-3TB are 7200 RPM, 4TB and up are 5400 RPM.

So a pair of 2TB in either of those (3.5") versions would do the job. There's also the option of a single 4TB BarraCuda Pro. All Capacities of the 3.5" BarraCuda Pro are 7200 RPM plus come with 5 year warranty, 300TB per year workload rating (55TB for non-Pro), and 2 free years of data rescue services.

Regardless of which route you decide feels right in the end, thanks for considering Seagate!

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming