Power Supply for GTX 1080 & i5-8400?

Hey! I’m looking for some advice here- what kind of power supply would you guys recommend for a GTX 1080 w/ i5-8400?

Here is my PCPP list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ngfdD2

I was considering OC’ing my 1080, but I’ve never attempted it before. Also, a MicroCenter employee recommended at least a 600-650w PSU but I was thinking more along the lines of 550...

What do you think?

Oh, and what brand? I’m really maxing my budget right now so I’m really not trying to spend big.

plshlp

41 minutes ago, iandonne said:

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate

Would probably just recommend an R5 2600 and $200 cheap GTX 1070ti, with a manual OC it's as fast as a 1080.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate

Would probably just recommend an R5 2600 and $200 cheap GTX 1070ti, with a manual OC it's as fast as a 1080.

Thanks, I already have a 1080 and an i5-8400, but I was wondering what kind of power supply would suffice for this build

Just now, iandonne said:

Thanks, I already have a 1080 and an i5-8400, but I was wondering what kind of power supply would suffice for this build

650watt should cut it.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

650watt should cut it.

Sold, thanks haha

1 hour ago, iandonne said:

Hey! I’m looking for some advice here- what kind of power supply would you guys recommend for a GTX 1080 w/ i5-8400?

I was considering OC’ing my 1080, but I’ve never attempted it before. Also, a MicroCenter employee recommended at least a 600-650w PSU but I was thinking more along the lines of 550...

What do you think?

Oh, and what brand? I’m really maxing my budget right now so I’m really not trying to spend big.

plshlp

First off this build is super poorly balanced, why a hexacore CPU and no SSD? Why the super cheap motherboard that only has one fan header for case fans? Why a GTX 1080 when a 1070 Ti is much cheaper (and what resolution and refresh rate are you playing games at)? You can get a much better case too, something like an S340 or Meshify C, for example.

After that, a Corsair TX550M or the like would be fine. I'll put together a better parts list.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($177.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M  Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($157.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.85 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2 DT Gaming iCX Video Card  ($747.38 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ Adorama) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.49 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1477.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-26 01:00 EDT-0400

You can ask whatever you like about why I changed the parts in this. This is a much better build though. You don't have RAM that you're overpaying for (the non Z-platform motherboards don't usually hit more than 2666 MHz), you have a board that actually has enough fan headers to be usable, you have a case that should do fine and also has white LEDs like your other case fans of choice, you have a PSU on sale, you have an SSD, you have a 7200 RPM hard drive, all that.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

33 minutes ago, iandonne said:

I already have a 1080 and an i5-8400

I'm so sorry.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

2 hours ago, iandonne said:

What do you think?

plshlp

w/o OC a good quality 400-500W PSU is more than enough.

Get better quality instead of more Watts. ie a Bitfenix Whisper M with 450W instead of a Corsair CX750

More Watts doesn't give you anything, a better quality unit does.

1 hour ago, Being Delirious said:

650watt should cut it.

For what more than he needs?

650W aren't usually any quieter.

~650W sometimes are even louder under any circumstance than the ~550W one.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Better efficiency

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Better efficiency

Doesn't make a notable difference, and it's not necessarily better at all

:)

38 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Doesn't make a notable difference, and it's not necessarily better at all

It can be if you read up on it.

The geek himself.

8 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

First off this build is super poorly balanced, why a hexacore CPU and no SSD? Why the super cheap motherboard that only has one fan header for case fans? Why a GTX 1080 when a 1070 Ti is much cheaper (and what resolution and refresh rate are you playing games at)? You can get a much better case too, something like an S340 or Meshify C, for example.

After that, a Corsair TX550M or the like would be fine. I'll put together a better parts list.

I don’t see why I would need an SSD. This build is solely for use with the Vive which plays at 90hz. I chose a 1080 as I would only assume that, when overclocked, would perform better than an over locked 1070ti. I need the case for the handles.

9 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i5-8400 2.8GHz 6-Core OEM/Tray Processor  ($177.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - B360M  Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($157.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU650 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($36.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($43.85 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW2 DT Gaming iCX Video Card  ($747.38 @ Newegg Marketplace) 
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Amazon) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ Adorama) 
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.49 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1477.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-26 01:00 EDT-0400

You can ask whatever you like about why I changed the parts in this. This is a much better build though. You don't have RAM that you're overpaying for (the non Z-platform motherboards don't usually hit more than 2666 MHz), you have a board that actually has enough fan headers to be usable, you have a case that should do fine and also has white LEDs like your other case fans of choice, you have a PSU on sale, you have an SSD, you have a 7200 RPM hard drive, all that.

Thanks, I think I’ll go with that motherboard and ram instead

19 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

It can be if you read up on it.

Oh, really... 

Let's use Cybenetics for measurements. 

G3: 550W at 275W Vs 650W at 260W: 90,675% Vs 90,904%. 

Focus Plus Gold: 550W at 275W Vs 650W at 260W: 89,479% Vs 90,002%. 

Whisper M: 450W at 270W Vs 550W at 275W Vs 650W at 260W: 89,261% Vs 90,710% Vs 90,973%. 

Wow. Such a big difference. That totally makes the 650W PSU worth it. 

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Get better quality instead of more Watts. ie a Bitfenix Whisper M with 450W instead of a Corsair CX750

I’m not concerned about how loud the fans are

2 minutes ago, iandonne said:

I’m not concerned about how loud the fans are

So you prefer a more expensive and louder PSU...? 

8 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

How about the Supernova g3 550w that strmfrmxmn recommended?

49 minutes ago, seon123 said:

So you prefer a more expensive and louder PSU...? 

Of course not but if a quieter PSU is more expensive then I would suffice for a better one that isn’t as quiet, you know?

How about the Supernova g3 550w that strmfrmxmn recommended?

I recommended it because you can get it super cheap right now, even without a mail-in rebate. With one it's 55 dollars which is a steal.

Thanks, I think I’ll go with that motherboard and ram instead

But no SSD? What about a cheaper case that also matches the size of your motherboard?

I listed out that entire parts list because your system was really poorly put together.

I don’t see why I would need an SSD. This build is solely for use with the Vive which plays at 90hz. I chose a 1080 as I would only assume that, when overclocked, would perform better than an over locked 1070ti. I need the case for the handles.

Trust me, once you use a PC with an SSD you do not go back. Defragging your C drive is hell because it renders your system unusable until it's done. If you put your OS and programs on the SSD then the system is fast as long as you own it. You never have to defragment it, it makes installing the OS take less than half the time, the setup time is much faster, your OS boots faster, the system doesn't bog down under load, etc. Trust me, the cheap 120GB thing in there is worth the money.

2 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Trust me, once you use a PC with an SSD you do not go back. Defragging your C drive is hell because it renders your system unusable until it's done. If you put your OS and programs on the SSD then the system is fast as long as you own it. You never have to defragment it, it makes installing the OS take less than half the time, the setup time is much faster, your OS boots faster, the system doesn't bog down under load, etc. Trust me, the cheap 120GB thing in there is worth the money.

That sounds great and I’ve used a PC that had one but it’s not that big of a deal to me. Thanks though!

59 minutes ago, iandonne said:

That sounds great and I’ve used a PC that had one but it’s not that big of a deal to me. Thanks though!

You're gonna kick yourself down the line for not buying one... but whatever, it's your money, your time wasted.

I can't believe, in 2018, with 500gb SSD's under $125 (Crucial MX500) that someone would even consider building a system without one. The difference is night and day. Especially when loading in games that are stored on them. 2-3 more years and consumers will be able to afford high capacity SSD's so we can remove HDD's for good. 

7800X3D | Noctua NH-D15 Asus B650 ProArt-Creator 32GB 6000mhz GSkill S5 Asus TUF RTX 4090 | Corsair HX1000i | Sandisk 1TB NVME boot, Sabrent 2TB NVME, Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB | Lian-Li O11 Air Mini |