Is Freezer 12 with I7-8700 good?

snatchysquid

I want to buy a new pc. and get gtx 1080 550W PSU and I7-8700. I would like to know if freezer 12 is good enough. Thanks!

It should. Arctic claims:

Max. Cooling Capacity: 150 watts
Recommended for TDP up to: 130 watts

and the i7-8700 has a TDP of 65W.

I don't know this particular cooler, whehter it will be loud, etc, although I had good experiences with Arctic n the past. But even visually comparing it to the stock cooler tells you that it will be an improvement, it's just a matter of how much of an improvement.

Considering the 8700 won't even come close to what the cooler can handle, even at max turbo, it should handle this CPU with ease.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

17 minutes ago, snatchysquid said:

I want to buy a new pc. and get gtx 1080 550W PSU and I7-8700. I would like to know if freezer 12 is good enough. Thanks!

that cooler should handle the 8700 just fine considering its only 65W TDP and the cooler (I assume) can handle much more than that.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Considering the 8700 won't even come close to what the cooler can handle, even at max turbo, it should handle this CPU with ease.

People always assume that because a cpu says it is 65w TDP that any cooler over that will work. A cpu can easily spike to double or almost triple at times of their TDP for heat out. I am fairly confident that a 8700 (non k) when boosting and being pushed hard will easily put out AT LEAST 120 watts of heat if not slightly more.

Here is a little information that I feel is relevant.

I7-8700 POWER DRAW

One of the most attractive things about non K, non overclock-able CPU’s is lower power draw. The 8700 has a TDP of 65W. The CPU doesn’t really come anywhere close to that under load however. Below you will find average power draw numbers for the CPU when at various states.

IDLE 35W
GAMING 71W
RENDERING 113W
Prime 95 117W

While the power draw is nowhere near its rated number under load conditions. When gaming or doing normal tasks it sits at around 71W or below. This falls in line with what I was expecting. To be honest I was expecting the 8700 to pull more watts at load.

COOLING PERFORMANCE

coffee lake 8700 cooler testCooling performance is probably the biggest letdown with this CPU. In the past, the non K version of Intel’s top tier desktop CPU’s could be cooled with a variety of low profile coolers. This is not the case for the i7-8700.

I tested the chip with the Noctua NH-L9i, Thermolab LP53, and Noctua NH-L65. These represent some of the best compact coolers on the market.

NH-L9i LP53 NH-L65
Idle 32C 31C 31C
Gaming 63C 62C 59C
90-100% Load – Rendering 100C 100C 100C
100% Load – Prime 95 100C 100C 100C

As you see in the results, under heavy load none of these coolers were able to keep the i7-8700 from hitting it’s TJ Max temperature. This is really unfortunate, if you are a small form factor builder this is a punch in the gut.

To properly cool the CPU I had to go with a larger Noctua NH-L12S air cooler, and the Corsair Hydro H55 liquid cooler.

NH-L12S H55
Idle 30C 30C
Gaming 55C 58C
90-100% Load – Rendering 77C 83C
100% Load – Prime 95 82C 86C

10 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

People always assume that because a cpu says it is 65w TDP that any cooler over that will work. A cpu can easily spike to double or almost triple at times of their TDP for heat out. I am fairly confident that a 8700 (non k) when boosting and being pushed hard will easily put out AT LEAST 120 watts of heat if not slightly more.

I found the original review but there's little info on how power draw was measured and the testing conditions. https://tekeverything.com/intel-core-i7-8700-review-benchmarks/

Do you know the test system specs and motherboard settings used?

Even on the 8700k, temps aren't as high. http://www.enostech.com/noctua-nh-l9i-l-type-low-profile-cpu-cooler/

@snatchysquid The Freezer 12 should be fine. There are plenty of Amazon reviews reporting temps between 50-65c at load for i7's ranging from the 2600k to the 6700k. https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-Freezer-12-Compact-Recommended/dp/B06WRPFFJN They're not necessarily synthetic loads but it still seems like plenty of headroom. 

That being said, there might be better coolers available. Where are you shopping/located? What ram and case are you using?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

12 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Thanks for elaborating, but I do want you to know that I never said that it didn't spike high. I said it was well within the capabilities of the cooler, and your numbers show that. 117W is below the recommended maximum for the cooler, so it's fine.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

7 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

Thanks for elaborating, but I do want you to know that I never said that it didn't spike high. I said it was well within the capabilities of the cooler, and your numbers show that. 117W is below the recommended maximum for the cooler, so it's fine.

This is true it is below the maximum. However, that doesn't mean it wont sounds like a jet plane trying to cool it. That being said if you are coming close to the maximum then the temps you are seeing will also climb.

I am sure we all know the basics of how an air cooler works. It all comes down to surface area and amount of air. The problem is, that while this air cooler can dissipate that much heat, the delta of the heatsink in general is going to climb, which also increases the temp of the cpu. Then this being an air cooler it will be located in your case, which in return will raise your case temp, which in return reduces the amount of heat your cooler can dissipate. Now in an open chassis case this isn't an issue, but even in a case with perfect air flow you will see a increase in case temps that can have a big impact on things. That is why when you purchase and air cooler you want some headroom.