Suggestions for our iMac Pro repair

Go to solution Solved by nicklmg,

Thanks for all your input, everyone! We'll be compiling all your suggestions and looking through them over the coming week, and we'll follow up on any ideas that pique our interest - going from "most intriguing" to "slightly interesting" :) 

Maybe talk to the StrangeParts guy who built his own iPhone?

Dunno if this was suggested yet. But i appreciate Louis Rossman @  https://www.rossmanngroup.com

Great videos on repair for basic repairs of the iPads I have here/screen replace/battery replace and any of my friends/family apple devices. 

He's not a super fan of Apple so if he knows how to make it happen i'm sure he will, my suggestion anyhow.

@GabenJr

I work for an AASP in Denmark, as a certified technician. We have an iMac Pro certified technician at our location and have already performed repairs - parts are available. 

If you're willing to pay the shipping fee, then we'll gladly help you out. 

Contact me on pm if this is of any interest :)

Best regards. 

Ostekages. 

Reason number 627,298,182 why I don't buy Apple products. Either way, I have your solution. Obviously, you guys aren't based in California, sorry, but we all know you have friends who are. Send it to Steve at GN or Jayz & have them get it repaired at your cost. It would make great video for their channel as well as yours. Why California? 

California Civil Code Section 1793.03

(b) Every manufacturer making an express warranty with respect to an electronic or appliance product described in subdivision (h), (i), (j), or (k) of Section 9801 of the Business and Professions Code, with a wholesale price to the retailer of one hundred dollars ($100) or more, shall make available to service and repair facilities sufficient service literature and functional parts to effect the repair of a product for at least seven years after the date a product model or type was manufactured, regardless of whether the seven-year period exceeds the warranty period for the product

http://law.onecle.com/california/civil/1793.03.html

Best of luck.

Like others said above, i would find the parts in China they wont be top notch but they will work. But their may be some DOAs

Yo Linus and the gang see what I did there haha jk but anyways my cousin works with Apple and hey says he can get the parts If you want his contact info please reply back or email me at andiegarcia28@gmail.com 

@GabenJr

I'm a Premium Service Provider. If you'd like to DM me, we can discuss what I might be able to do for you guys. We have slightly more flexibility than your standard AASP and I've already done the 2017 iMac Pro training.

P2P Computer Solutions

State College, PA, US 16801

2 hours ago, Theguywhobea said:

Take the internals out, make a new enclosure for them, and mount them to the back of a regular monitor.

... and boot Linux on it just to annoy Apple. (Hopefully, you can even get higher performance out of it) :ph34r:

I don't know what to do but tweet out Tim Cook and any other Apple executive. Also, tweet out Microsoft to try to gain attention. 

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

Why dont you call AppleCare and report this issue.

I am prety sure as an ex AppleCare Senior advisor that those guys will find a solution for you.

You can try acting pissed and all. They'll continue to escalate it, but chances are it won't get fixed. Some other options: head over to Apple HQ in California with a hell lot of complaints, or try checking out the Chinese (black)market to see if there are any spare parts floating around from the manufacturer. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Vote from here also to contact Louis Rossmann ( @l.a.rossmann ) for the logic board fixing. I would think that he could fix it since there's no "magic" in it and he has the skills and connections to fix most of the macbooks. Rossmann could probably also take a look at the PSU because in there, at least, isn't any "magic" parts that couldn't be bought somewhere.

Also note for those who say that Stranger Parts could help. I don't say he couldn't and probably if there's parts in Shenzhen he would be my favorite YouTuber to be in LTP video. But the thing is he build his phones from "scrapped" parts, so it might be bit harder to get Mac Pro parts from there since availability depends on how much exact Mac Pros have been scrapped and is there sellers that can access to the trash bins of Apple factories for second-grade machines/parts. There is knock-off makers, but they are always hit or miss type of sellers, some of them sell good quality replacements but still most of them are just knock-offs and it's a game of luck do they acctually work and how long (as example I needed to get a new power brick for my LG monitor, I found 4 sellers from aliexpress that could provide me the power brick and no where else was anyone selling those, so the first one I ordered was completely different one they send and the second one they send as replacement was also completely different one, second place sended one which was filled with glue and nuts (didn't work, just knock-off, thank flying spaghetti monster I paid that 1€ for aliexpress safety) and the third one provided me with a working one). But definetly Stranger Parts is someone to contact if something like the screen must be bought from China (I believe through his adventure to make his own projects he has builded up quite good connections to get second-hand iPhone parts and those can probably at least point the right way to get Mac Pro parts).

Hey man... why not make it even cooler and send it over to us.. we are Premium AASP in Greece. https://store.i-system.gr 

I am in charge of the service reception. More than happy to have you over ( I am sure you can cover the trip and make a super cool episode in greece) ;) think about it!

2 hours ago, Cajmo said:

Isn't it the same screen as on the 5K iMac? Couldn't you just get a screen for that?

can confirm this^ 

here's a quick screenshot of ifixit's iMacPro teardown w/ the confirmation

IMG_0579.PNG

throw it away because it's apple

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

2 hours ago, GabenJr said:

Hey guys, so the video is up and we're turning to you. Apple can't help us, AASPs aren't really getting the parts, either - What can we do? Let us know!

I know I guy in the tech district of Beijing. I called him but he only offers in store pickups. So if you have a fan in beijing i can give you his name and number. He said it would cost 2000 yuan (318.38 usd) (399.65cd). He needs 7 days advanced notice.

At this rate, you can probably get yourself several fully upgraded free iMac Pro & a phone call from Tim Cook as long as you take down the video.  

For us little people, that's not going to happen.

Can you post a picture of the shorted pcb? a clear one.

46 minutes ago, DennieBee said:

Have you considered contacting YouTuber "Strange Parts"? He built an iPhone just from buying the parts and building it himself in Shenzhen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8DQrSp5yEP937qNqTooOw

Maybe he can assist in any way.

@GabenJr

I have to second this. This guy has frequently made videos on sourcing apple parts through chinese suppliers, as he is in china himself.

As for @Graciano Arroyo IV you image you posted itself says that components have been shifted so you cant do a direct swap. Did you miss that?

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

Hi Linus

I have until recently liked Apple, however since having issues with them blatantly ripping people off by using code within their OS to either damage batteries or power supplies on iPhones, iPads & MacBooks, I have decided to use my tech till it dies and then not go back, Steve Jobs was the Brains of the outfit, current management are a bunch of kids in my opinion, unfortunately it will take time for all the Apple Lovers to realise it, just like social media, cookies, email hacks, ssl etc.... Shame for you guys, as a former PC Diagnostician I could repair your screen, however without the parts that cannot happen, even I did it at component level, as I would need to re-calibrate the screen etc, so you might have issues with that as well, hence they are not easily allowing repairs. Footnote Keep an eye on the iTunes Saga about to unfold as well, time Apple realised customers, including corporate ones will not put up with it. Have a look at BlackMagic Design, as Apple have started to move into video a little more also student education, looks like they are upto something dodgy, like preparing the next generation of Apple Lovers.... I feel Apple are trying to cover the lack of professionalism with smoke and mirrors. 

If you want sh1ts and giggles, trying setting an iPhone 6 up stock, install Battery monitor App from store, then charge iPhone on a non Apple Charger, see what happens to a perfectly new Battery, this is the main reason the 500 cycle life rubbish is not true... I have an iPhone 5, never been on another charger than it came with and it is still going in well over 1,000 charges with only 4% loss, yes 4%... Shame it does not support new IOS, wonder why.... Bye Bye Apple, RIP...shame, you where starting to become something good 5 years ago...now not sure... 

52 minutes ago, DennieBee said:

Have you considered contacting YouTuber "Strange Parts"? He built an iPhone just from buying the parts and building it himself in Shenzhen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCO8DQrSp5yEP937qNqTooOw

Maybe he can assist in any way.

Would say the same, if someone could help, he is the one! 

He has the right contacts and sits at the supplies, he would fix this in no time! +

And it would make a nice video;-)

I would LOVE to get my hands on the machine and try to fix it. I have absolutely not papers that say I know anything about computer repair; however over the years of building and fixing I have fixed 2 computers that several stores had given up on. The 1st was back in the day of jumpers on the boards and 2 of the add-on cards turned out to  be hard-wired to the same DMA channel. The second was a more recent computer running Windows 10. It ended up having 9 partitions on the HD formatted to FAT32 instead of NTSF like the rest of the hard drive. I've also replace cell phone and tablet internal components.