Advise about my 980ti VR Edition, is this normal?

Sin Stalker

I just bought a 980ti off ebay. It is a EVGA VR Edition. 

There are a few things I've noticed coming off my 970 Founders edition and I'd like to know if these are normal. I want to figure this out soon, while I am still covered by the eBay buyer protection warranty.

1. The fans at 50% and up are loud. At 100% I can hear them with my headset on.

2. I noticed that while idle, so with 0 load, I am around 60 to 65 degrees C. My friend has an MSI 980ti that is in the 40s with no load. But maybe EVGA cooling sucks? 

3. I have barely gamed since I got it, however in the last few days the few times I have played (pubg or fortnite) I've gotten two blue screens of death. May have been a coincidence.... might not have been. 

15 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

I just bought a 980ti off ebay. It is a EVGA VR Edition. 

There are a few things I've noticed coming off my 970 Founders edition and I'd like to know if these are normal. I want to figure this out soon, while I am still covered by the eBay buyer protection warranty.

2. I noticed that while idle, so with 0 load, I am around 60 to 65 degrees C. My friend has an MSI 980ti that is in the 40s with no load. But maybe EVGA cooling sucks? 

3. I have barely gamed since I got it, however in the last few days the few times I have played (pubg or fortnite) I've gotten two blue screens of death. May have been a coincidence.... might not have been. 

EVGA cooling and fans aren't the best indeed...for idle those temps vary greatly depending on ambient temps, case temps (case airflow) as well...

As for BSOD this is not common for GPU to be the cause of this...usually when a GPU is not stable it will get a GPU driver crash, or the system might lock up (freeze)

BSOD are more commonly caused by CPU/RAM stabilty issues.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

23 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

• thats true for almost every card. On my 970, I keep my fans at about 45% at full load and it stays around 70ºC
  • Thats the stock 0rpm mode for idle, to allow for silent operation at idle. Most of the aftermarket Maxwell cards had this. If you look in your case at that time, you'll see the fans are not spinning. You can adjust this using MSI afterburner or EVGA precision x if it bothers you.
  • Dunno. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

5 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:
  • thats true for almost every card. On my 970, I keep my fans at about 45% at full load and it stays around 70ºC
  • Thats the stock 0rpm mode for idle, to allow for silent operation at idle. Most of the aftermarket Maxwell cards had this. If you look in your case at that time, you'll see the fans are not spinning. You can adjust this using MSI afterburner or EVGA precision x if it bothers you.
  • Dunno. 

At stock fan curve, while playing games or running a benchmark, this card will hit the lower 80s and then I think it begins to throttle. So I wouldn't be able to keep it at 45%.

Could this bean issue of low quality thermal paste and pads needing to be changed? The seller told me it sat around for over a month and a half. I vaguely remember hearing something on LTT or maybe Jayz two cents about crud thermal compound lately. 

4 minutes ago, Sin Stalker said:

At stock fan curve, while playing games or running a benchmark, this card will hit the lower 80s and then I think it begins to throttle. So I wouldn't be able to keep it at 45%.

Could this bean issue of low quality thermal paste and pads needing to be changed? The seller told me it sat around for over a month and a half. I vaguely remember hearing something on LTT or maybe Jayz two cents about crud thermal compound lately. 

Thermal paste and pads are supposed to last for more than three years I believe, however I've considered it at times with my 970, as I did see some temp decreases when I did it for mt 4790k and H90i water cooler... If it's sat around for a while, perhaps the heat sink has lots of dust in it? Dust definitely negatively impacts thermals.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

What error code is given with the BSOD?

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

3 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

What error code is given with the BSOD?

These were two; there may have been a third. 

00000IMG_00000_BURST20180404002639_COVER.jpg

IMG_20180329_154302.jpg

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

21 hours ago, ThatFlashCat said:

21 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Thermal paste and pads are supposed to last for more than three years I believe, however I've considered it at times with my 970, as I did see some temp decreases when I did it for mt 4790k and H90i water cooler... If it's sat around for a while, perhaps the heat sink has lots of dust in it? Dust definitely negatively impacts thermals.

21 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

EVGA cooling and fans aren't the best indeed...for idle those temps vary greatly depending on ambient temps, case temps (case airflow) as well...

As for BSOD this is not common for GPU to be the cause of this...usually when a GPU is not stable it will get a GPU driver crash, or the system might lock up (freeze)

Found the cause and solution over on reddit. I'm linking here just incase someone else searches with the same problem.

The solution has worked for my idle temps. However I've had another issue occur. I've posted it in the troubleshooting section of the forum, as I am not sure if it is connected to the gpu.

On 4/5/2018 at 7:46 AM, ThatFlashCat said:

On 4/5/2018 at 7:35 AM, TVwazhere said:

On 4/5/2018 at 7:14 AM, i_build_nanosuits said:

Another BSOD today. Last night I had a crash that had the displays go dead and it wouldn't restart from holding down the power button or using the reset button. I had to eventually go around back and turn off the power supply just to get it all to boot up normal.

At this point, I am kind of hoping it is the gpu. Otherwise, with all the crashes, it would mean I'm having another point of failure. :(

IMG_20180406_171641.thumb.jpg.37431b1b36def4a0231ca2bfb29412fd.jpg