Apple supplier accused of using unauthorized parts in iPhone 8 Plus

Chinese news site Commercial Times has claimed that iPhone supplier Wistron was caught using ‘unauthorized components’ in its production of the iPhone 8 Plus in China.

The report says that Apple ordered the company to halt production when the issue came to light, with assembly suspended for two weeks …

Wistron maintained in a filing with the Taiwan Stock Exchange March 15 that the company will not comment on matters concerning specific clients and there was not a “two-week production suspension as reported and operations remain completely normal.”

Of course they won't comment if they are guilty ?

The issue reportedly concerns the use of waterproof components not certified by Apple, which could mean gaskets used to keep out water and dust.

Thankfully this is not too big of an issue. Apparently it's limited to the water resistant components of the iPhone 8 Plus and is not something major like the display or an electronic component. That being said, if these "fake" parts are found to compromise the IP rating of the iPhone in any way, I would fully expect and hope that Apple would offer a trade in program to get affected units swapped out for new phones. If not there could be a big problem on Apples hands. 

Breaches in a supply chain are very serious and something like this can be disastrous for a company in the short term. Thankfully Apple discovered this, I am assuming relatively quickly, and coupled with relatively low iPhone 8 Plus sales compared to the iPhone 7 Plus and X this year, means not too many people should have been effected. 

I'm personally eyeing an 8 Plus to upgrade from my 6s Plus, but who knows, might upgrade my GPU instead :P 

Source: https://9to5mac.com/2018/03/15/wistron-unauthorized-components-denial/ 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Luckily they got this in time... imagine if people started discovering certain phones randomly weren't as waterproof as they thought xD

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

12 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

"Hey Apple, I'd like a #refund"

"-- Sorry to hear. What troubles are you having with your iPhone?"

"I wash that phone like the many others I own and they all look as shiny and clean like day 0 and yet this one decides to be thirsty and drank itself to death"

Are you saying it got drunk? If so, you should have your iPhone checked out. Being drunk is not good for electronic devices, and isn’t covered by your warranty. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Remember that article about potential for pushing malware via device components.

How a certain someone said that nothing bad could happen because those components wouldn't be used in production, because getting them into the supply chain wouldn't happen?

That certain someone should be thankful to every concieved god, and a few unconcieved, that this time, it wasn't a component that has firmware.

As far as we know.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Remember that article about potential for pushing malware via device components.

How a certain someone said that nothing bad could happen because those components wouldn't be used in production, because getting them into the supply chain wouldn't happen?

That certain someone should be thankful to every concieved god, and a few unconcieved, that this time, it wasn't a component that has firmware.

As far as we know.

I think the water seal on iphones do have firmware actually, how else did they manage to add the feature with a software update?

fake-ad.jpg

/s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

think the water seal on iphones do have firmware actually, how else did they manage to add the feature with a software update?

Actually, with the introduction of the 3G, all iPhones have stargate technology that updates the internals with every software update.

Every.

Single.

One.

Including app updates.

Except that one shady flashlight app you have that makes up 97% of the app store.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Are you saying it got drunk? If so, you should have your iPhone checked out. Being drunk is not good for electronic devices, and isn’t covered by your warranty. 

While liquids are specifically excluded, does the warranty cover plasma damage?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

While liquids are specifically excluded, does the warranty cover plasma damage?

No, but it does cover acts of Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Well, at least it's not a major hardware component. 

Still sucks though. This is Apple we're talking about. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, but it does cover acts of Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

Does your definition of "rock" extend to balls of steel?

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

Imagine the counterfeit parts in medical equipment and airplanes.

Counterfeit parts have been found on Air Force One and on many other planes.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

38 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Counterfeit parts have been found on Air Force One and on many other planes.

And it took the crash of Partnair Flight 394 to really expose this issue of counterfeit parts on airplanes.

Heck, even the FAA's own parts bin had fakes at the time.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

8 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think the water seal on iphones do have firmware actually, how else did they manage to add the feature with a software update?

Oh god! Reminds me of that whole spiel if Microwave your phone to rapidly charge it!

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

46 minutes ago, Valentyn said:

Oh god! Reminds me of that whole spiel if Microwave your phone to rapidly charge it!

I was kinda hoping it would just explode instead of editing it to look like it charges, oh well.

- snip-

2 minutes ago, MrDynamicMan said:

I was kinda hoping it would just explode instead of editing it to look like it charges, oh well.

People are bloody stupid.

Screen-Shot-2014-09-19-at-3.24.47-PM.png

This happens
1411622730731_wps_33_Emergency_services_

1411622709524_wps_32_Emergency_services_

xwave3.jpg,qx23608.pagespeed.ic.6L9U82H7

1 minute ago, Valentyn said:

People are bloody stupid.

==snip==

holy crap, I fucking love this. Darwin awards.

- snip-

Apple and partners ripping you off as usual

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

27 minutes ago, orbitalbuzzsaw said:

Apple and partners ripping you off as usual

Apple's own audits found this; they're being ripped off here also; and their brand being damaged as a result. Why would they want this?

Apple pays Wistron say $5 for certified and tested water-proof components. Wistron then cheaps out and uses $3.50 components. That doesn't benefit Apple at all. They get ripped off; and get sub-standard parts that aren't up to spec.

this proves that like everything else on their page, this is BS as well:  xD

Mapping materials from final assembly back to the source.

Few companies map the path of materials in their products as far back as the smelter. Apple maps many materials, including conflict minerals, back to the smelter and goes even further with others — tracking some, like cobalt, all the way back to the source.

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

Interesting. Do they install that on all iPhone 8 or just the batch used in China? Hope it's the latter. 

27 minutes ago, asus killer said:

this proves that like everything else on their page, this is BS as well:  xD

Mapping materials from final assembly back to the source.

Few companies map the path of materials in their products as far back as the smelter. Apple maps many materials, including conflict minerals, back to the smelter and goes even further with others — tracking some, like cobalt, all the way back to the source.

https://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/

Apple does though; as for many of their raw materials they buy more and more directly from the sources. Which means they can Map it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-21/apple-is-said-to-negotiate-buying-cobalt-direct-from-miners

Apple also runs Audits for child labour, and these subpar parts. Does the other computer manufacturers though?

Just now, Valentyn said:

Apple does though; as for many of their raw materials they buy more and more directly from the sources. Which means they can Map it.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-21/apple-is-said-to-negotiate-buying-cobalt-direct-from-miners

Apple also runs Audits for child labour, and these subpar parts. Does the other computer manufacturers though?

if they mapped "materials from final assembly back to the source" this would simply not be possible, if it occurred they straight up lied. 

I will just ignore the last sentence.

16 minutes ago, asus killer said:

if they mapped "materials from final assembly back to the source" this would simply not be possible, if it occurred they straight up lied. 

I will just ignore the last sentence.

It's always possible, in all industries. That's why audits are done, to ensure their partners uphold their part. If not steps are taken.