Will I need anything else other than what is on this list?

bigpak

Hello, I am just making sure that I have got everything I will need to build this PC on this list, and make sure it's all compatible. From what I have checked it appears it is all compatible. I am building this PC for my cousin so I didn't pick out the parts or have any control over the budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DQ72pb

is is there any incompatibilities or anything extra I will need to get it up and running?

Thank you for your time.

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

Case: Corsair Obsidian 800D

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Don't build this.

Cryptocurrency mining has doubled the price of that 1070, Ram prices are insane and you don't need to be paying $100 for Windows 10, buy a key online for cheaper, like 10 bucks.

Just now, ErykYT3 said:

Cryptocurrency mining has doubled the price of that 1070, Ram prices are insane and you don't need to be paying $100 for Windows 10, buy a key online for cheaper, like 10 bucks.

And don't you need a Z270 board for Kabylake? Or is this only the case with it and the Z370?

dont get the I7 7700K, get the I5 8600K

PSU is overkill

dont bother getting paste

like, it will all work i guess but its not a great buy. also 240mm AIOs are never going to be my recomendation over an air tower, seeing as the air tower will be quieter, cheaper and perform the same or better

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

And don't you need a Z270 board for Kabylake? Or is this only the case with it and the Z370?

Z170 and Z270 support Kabylake and Skylake, Z170 with a bios update. Z370 is for 8th gen chips strictly. Also I am downgrading him to a 1070, because the 1070ti performance between the 1080 and 1070 is just not worth it. So I will choose the 1070. Prices will not drop for a while so at this point, if you have it in your budget. Get a 1070. Because it's gonna take a long time for the prices to drop. There is also a ram shortage of course. But people aren't going to wait a decade for prices to drop. 

The geek himself.

5 minutes ago, ErykYT3 said:

so.. not buy a GPU at all, only stick in 2 gigs of ram, and run a potentially shady windows key?

---

my take on it:

- where you buy the windows key from is your choice (or if you buy it at all, i guess), just know where it most likely came from. i got mine retail, because the reassurance of no headache is worth the 100 bucks for me.

- GPU prices suck, but if you need a GPU now, only thing you can do is find a store that doesnt inflate them to insane levels.

- RAM pricing is poopy, but not extremely terrible, just buy what you need, and factor in a potential future upgrade (for example buy a 2-stick kit now, and factor in adding 2 sticks as an upgrade path)

- get an i5 8600k, they are better and cheaper.

- get a mobo of the generation your cpu is (dont have that choice with coffee lake either way), to avoid bios issues.

- that power supply is overkill, 650 watts would probably be more than plenty.

- save 4 bucks on the thermal paste, i have a 20 gram tube of that exact paste, i'm telling you not to buy one if its just for one build. it took me 4 years to drain trough a 4 gram tube.

- aesthetics are strictly subjective, but i dislike that case, and just want to add that i dislike the case :P

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tf9scY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tf9scY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($132.01 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($151.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($179.00 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.15 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($699.89 @ OutletPC) 
Case: NZXT - H700i ATX Mid Tower Case  ($179.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($97.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1963.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-19 16:29 EST-0500

When you buy your rig, it may not be this one, but maybe a combination, or someone elses. Download the Windows 10 ISO and copy the install files to a USB. Boot the USB from the BIOs and install windows. You are able to skip the product key. Once your in Windows, use your microsoft account (get one if you don't have one) and buy a Windows 10 Home Key.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, Being Delirious said:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tf9scY
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tf9scY/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor  ($339.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X52 Rev 2 73.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($132.01 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($151.89 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($179.00 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($99.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($84.15 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card  ($699.89 @ OutletPC) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($97.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1963.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-19 16:29 EST-0500

When you buy your rig, it may not be this one, but maybe a combination, or someone elses. Download the Windows 10 ISO and copy the install files to a USB. Boot the USB from the BIOs and install windows. You are able to skip the product key. Once your in Windows, use your microsoft account (get one if you don't have one) and buy a Windows 10 Home Key.

dont like the barracuda 3TB, not having good vibes around that one, other than that.. maybe tick down the power supply to a 650W one, and exchange the case for one with a 5.25" slot if OP insists on an optical drive.

other than that, looking good.

He already has most of the parts. Will the motherboard be compatible with the CPU? Will it only need a bios flash?

CPU: Intel i7 6950x  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3000MHZ. GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 TI X2 SLI

3 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

That's a really expensive 240mm AiO. Imo, a 280-360mm AiO would be preferable. Should be available for around the same price. Or even a high end air cooler.

4 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Overpriced trash tier motherboard. Really crappy VRM.

4 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Lots of cheaper good drives. The MX300, MX500 and even 860 Evo are cheaper. 

6 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

You can get cheaper 3TB HDDs. Hitachi has one, and Seagate isn't known for their reliability.

6 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

You downgraded the GPU? There's quite a significant performance delta between the 1070 and 1070 Ti.

7 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Cases are subjective, but that's quite an expensive one.

The G3 is loud, has in cable capacitors, and 750W is way overkill.

So annoying that the RAM and GPU prices are so messed up. 

:)

From what I have read, all I will need is a flash drive and the updated bios and the power supply and motherboard to flash the bios with the ASUS VIII HERO Maximus, then it should be fine to run the i7 7700k correct? He already has the motherboard.

58 minutes ago, manikyath said:

dont like the barracuda 3TB, not having good vibes around that one, other than that.. maybe tick down the power supply to a 650W one, and exchange the case for one with a 5.25" slot if OP insists on an optical drive.

other than that, looking good.

the 750 was cheaper.

The geek himself.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

the 750 was cheaper.

wait.. evga 750 cheaper than same series evga 650?

sounds like evga is being american again..

Just now, manikyath said:

wait.. evga 750 cheaper than same series evga 650?

sounds like evga is being american again..

Yea, thats why I chose it.

The geek himself.

59 minutes ago, seon123 said:

That's a really expensive 240mm AiO. Imo, a 280-360mm AiO would be preferable. Should be available for around the same price. Or even a high end air cooler.

Overpriced trash tier motherboard. Really crappy VRM.

Lots of cheaper good drives. The MX300, MX500 and even 860 Evo are cheaper. 

You can get cheaper 3TB HDDs. Hitachi has one, and Seagate isn't known for their reliability.

You downgraded the GPU? There's quite a significant performance delta between the 1070 and 1070 Ti.

Cases are subjective, but that's quite an expensive one.

The G3 is loud, has in cable capacitors, and 750W is way overkill.

So annoying that the RAM and GPU prices are so messed up. 

Hard Drive: It's a excellent Seagate drive, they are very reliable and worth the money.

GPU: Seemed to make sense to me. We also have no clue what resolution and HZ he want's to play his games in.

Motherboard: Quality, this is the board I recommend to anyone with a build, I have not heard any problems with VRMs and overclocking, I own it myself.

AIO: Not much I can say here, I just chose wants makes sense in my mind.

Case: Can't tell you much, it's just a case. Not all people want the cheapest thing possible.

PSU: I own the EVGA G3 series PSU, no coil whine, or is it very loud, very quiet while gaming. 750 was cheaper then the 650.

The geek himself.

Hard Drive: It's a excellent Seagate drive, they are very reliable and worth the money.

Not according to Backblaze. https://www.backblaze.com/blog/3tb-hard-drive-failure/

GPU: Seemed to make sense to me. We also have no clue what resolution and HZ he want's to play his games in.

The 1070 Ti is still more powerful. Downgrading the GPU while upgrading the CPU doesn't make too much sense for a gaming PC, imo.

8 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Motherboard: Quality, this is the board I recommend to anyone with a build, I have not heard any problems with VRMs and overclocking, I own it myself.

It's a crappy motherboard, recommending it makes no sense. It uses an objectively crappy VRM. http://www.overclock.net/forum/6-intel-motherboards/1638955-z370-z390-vrm-discussion-thread.html

12 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

Case: Can't tell you much, it's just a case. Not all people want the cheapest thing possible.

Not everyone wants to spend $200 on a $120 case, though. 

13 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

PSU: I own the EVGA G3 series PSU, no coil whine, or is it very loud, very quiet while gaming. 750 was cheaper then the 650.

Cybenetics has testing, it's objectively noisier than other similar PSUs. In cable capacitors are annoying to deal with as well. The RM650x is available for less. https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database

:)