4 Independent Hard Drives in 1 Enclosure?

OuterMarker

We have 4 computers that need to be backed up (2 PCs and 2 Macs). Ideally, I want each computer to have its own dedicated hard drive. The PCs will use Windows File History and the Macs will use Apple's Time Machine. The cleanest solution would be one 4 bay NAS attached to our network switch, but I have never built a NAS with independent drives?

Is it possible to get something like a WD My Cloud PR4100 4-Bay NAS and have 2 hard drives operating as a time machine back up and the other 2 as a file history backup?

Have you though of using a network backup tool like urbackup or barcula? they normally are easily to manage, let you restore images easier and work better for multiple systems.

Normally you put all the drives in one pool, then make shares. The goal with a nas isn't to make one share with each drive. Then you c an setup quotas if you want to limit the max size used by each gpu.

If you just want something to hold 4 HDs, look at HPE Microservers. The lower spec ones are very affordable, and you can install whatever OS on it you like to manage the backups. From there you can run either NAS like software e.g. FreeNAS, unraid, or run a normal OS with its sharing capability.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Don't futz with building your own NAS.

Buy a pre-made one, set it up for RAID (the reason you'd use a NAS to begin with) and set up folder shares with permissions for each PC.

That way they get the space the need, but the benefit of RAID.

I'm a fan of ReadyNAS by Netgear, but there are plenty of others

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Basically all of the nas's do JBOD, but theres really no reason to have 4 seperate disks? You could have 3 in a RAID5, or have 1 x RAID1 or even 2 x RAID1's (1 for the PC's, 1 for the MAC's), and just have a directory for each computer. That way you have resiliency if any of the drives die...

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

it doesnt really make sense to do it that way, get a pre build nas with as man drives as you need space or with the kind of RAID you want to run and back them up onto this machine.

if you would want to back up on individual drives you could just use an external drive for each of them and be done with it but you wont gain any redundancy.

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to do it. I got a QNAP 4 enclosure NAS and put 4 3TB hard drives in it. I then set up a 1 drive volume for each computer with automatic backup. I know there is no redundancy, but this is not my only backup. I have a 80TB home server in RAID6 that contains all of our media and documents. Each computer has a local copy of our documents and the media is backed up online. The point of this server was just to make an easy backup for each machine that would make restoring a failed computer easy.