Liquid Metal nail polish

Theguywhobea

I was going to try out some Liquid Metal on a CPU in my laptop. I know that you can use nail polish to protect the SMD's but does it have to be a certain kind? I don't know shit about nail polish but my girlfriend has a bottle of clear nail polish but it's like, "gel top coat" or some shit like that. Can I use that? Does it have to be a different kind?

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

that'll work, i suppose. 

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

IDK, I just used clear nail polish. The paint may contain some metallic substance, not sure about the gel top coat.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

IDK, I just used clear nail polish. The paint may contain some metallic substance, not sure about the gel top coat.

It is clear nail polish, I'm just not sure if there are different types of clear nail polish, and unfortunately my girlfriend doesn't know the difference between clear nail polishes either.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

1 hour ago, Theguywhobea said:

I was going to try out some Liquid Metal on a CPU in my laptop. I know that you can use nail polish to protect the SMD's but does it have to be a certain kind? I don't know shit about nail polish but my girlfriend has a bottle of clear nail polish but it's like, "gel top coat" or some shit like that. Can I use that? Does it have to be a different kind?

Should work no problem as long as it dries with proper coverage over any contacts or SMD’s.

Or, use a TIM that is not metallic.  I used Gelid TIM over mine when I delid a CPU to put a liquid metal TIM on the die.

2023 BOINC Pentathlon Event

F@H & BOINC Installation on Linux Guide

My CPU Army: 5800X, E5-2670V3, 1950X, 5960X J Batch, 10750H *lappy

My GPU Army:3080Ti, 960 FTW @ 1551MHz, RTX 2070 Max-Q *lappy

My Console Brigade: Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, PS2 Fatty, Xbox One S, Xbox One X

My Tablet Squad: iPad Air 5th Gen, Samsung Tab S, Nexus 7 (1st gen)

3D Printer Unit: Prusa MK3S, Prusa Mini, EPAX E10

VR Headset: Quest 2

Hardware lost to Kevdog's Law of Folding

OG Titan, 5960X, ThermalTake BlackWidow 850 Watt PSU

• 5 months later...

I plan on using 3M Scotch Super 33+ electrical tape on the surface components near my GPU. It resists high temps up to 105C, highly acidic resistance, and very conforming. I would also use Nail Polish but it is harder to know exactly what your getting when ordering online.