dunno if there are sg or sci fi fans in here but what do you think?

>first atlantis got cancelled, then the disaster SG:U was and now... this

eb3cc563f41851c9a045750911fa7051.jpg

RIP, I know is not for TV but still

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I loved both series, SGU I don't even consider a series it was so bad. But this.. I think Its going to fall in the same boat as SGU.

The acting looks cheesy and bad, It's not sponsored by any company so the budget is probably low and the only people watching are people that already know about and love stargate, so not huge. I don't know. But I don't have any sort of high hopes.

Fanboys are the worst thing to happen to the tech community World. Chief among them are Apple fanboys. 

Well looks like another dud, but oh well really I just want someone to make a decent game with the concept as honestly any sort of tv or movie revival is completely lost at this point and I honestly do see potential to capture the charm of the originals

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

im officially excited.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

48 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well looks like another dud, but oh well really I just want someone to make a decent game with the concept as honestly any sort of tv or movie revival is completely lost at this point and I honestly do see potential to capture the charm of the originals

taking a look at what they've done with star trek and star wars honestly I wasn't expecting this to be different

it's based on Torment of Tantalus but instead of a top secret bunker the place looks like a ikea warehouse

normal_sg1_110_021.JPG

a game would be great but unfortunately everyone's into "battle royale" and FPS games and no one cares

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

6 hours ago, Ginger137 said:

I loved both series, SGU I don't even consider a series it was so bad. But this.. I think Its going to fall in the same boat as SGU.

SGU was great!

Didn't watch origins because it looked very cheap in the trailers

16 hours ago, aezakmi said:

dunno if there are sg or sci fi fans in here but what do you think?

>first atlantis got cancelled, then the disaster SG:U was and now... this

eb3cc563f41851c9a045750911fa7051.jpg

RIP, I know is not for TV but still

So, I'm a huge Stargate fan.

I've seen the movie, SG-1, Atlantis, SGU, and even the SG-1 movies.

But this? I'm so skeptical.

It retconns the fuck out of established history. Catherine Langford seeing an operational gate? FUCKING GOING THROUGH ONE?

How the fuck? Does this work, with established canon?

Ugh. This is why studios should fucking think about this stuff before making a series.

They should either: stick to Canon if it's in the same "universe" as before. Or just fucking reboot it, and then you can write whatever you want.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

15 hours ago, aezakmi said:

taking a look at what they've done with star trek and star wars honestly I wasn't expecting this to be different

it's based on Torment of Tantalus but instead of a top secret bunker the place looks like a ikea warehouse

normal_sg1_110_021.JPG

a game would be great but unfortunately everyone's into "battle royale" and FPS games and no one cares

Just to be clear, the image you're seeing from Torment of Tantalus is post WW2, in America. The Americans captured the gate from the Nazi's during WW2. Origins takes place in (or before? unclear) WW2, and the gate is still in Nazi possession.

That room in the screenshot is not the same "gate room" from the Origins trailer.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Look interesting but since Richard Dean Anderson dropped stopped being involved it pretty much had fallen on its face.

I wish the writers had done their due diligence with this. Seriously. I was a big fan of the series. I agree with @dalekphalm on this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Look interesting but since Richard Dean Anderson dropped stopped being involved it pretty much had fallen on its face.

I wish the writers had done their due diligence with this. Seriously. I was a big fan of the series. I agree with @dalekphalm on this.

I'll probably watch a bit to see how it is, but the bar is very low right now.

Same, I want to watch just see how it turns out. :rolls_eyes: I will probably wait for it to hit VUDU or Netflix though.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, SansVarnic said:

Same, I want to watch just see how it turns out. :rolls_eyes: I will probably wait for it to hit VUDU or Netflix though.

I'm currently enjoying a "Story Arc plus kickass standalone episodes" re-watch of SG-1, so I'll be good for a while. Mid-way through Season 5 :)

what is a Nazi SS officer doing in a sci fi film?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

42 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

AFAIK I have to pay some "subscription" to watch this so my interest on it just went from 1% to 0%

1 minute ago, wasab said:

They aren't mutually exclusive...

Also, this isn't a film.

3 minutes ago, wasab said:

He's a Genii, oh wait, he's not.

when you don't know what enemy your good guys will be facing just add a bunch of nazis, that always works

8 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

They aren't mutually exclusive...

Also, this isn't a film.

Was Third Reich building a galactic star battle fleet? i just find nazi+sci fi combo weird. i think i got that idea ever since ive seen that comedy film called Iron Sky about a bunch of moon nazis invading Earth from their moon base. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Just now, wasab said:

Was Third Reich building a galactic star battle fleet? i just nazi+sci fi combo weird. i think i got that idea ever since ive seen that comedy film called Iron Sky about a bunch of moon nazis invading Earth from their moon base. 

Hold on.

What does Galactic space fleets have to do with Nazi and Sci-fi?

Sci-fi does not have to be "set in the future", or even have space travel at all.

In the context of Stargate Origins (considering I haven't seen it, but have indepth knowledge of the original shows), this is the basic premise:

1. The Stargate is a device created millions of years ago by a race known as the Ancients - they were known by other names too.

2. These Ancients were essentially proto humans that evolved to be extremely advanced, and eventually ascended into beings of energy that live in a higher plane of existence.

3. Another race of snake like creatures evolved to be able to take over other sentient species (called "hosts") and control those bodies - these are known as Goa'uld. The Goa'uld are advanced, but opportunistic. They discovered the Stargates, and used them to build an empire (more like Feudal Europe, rather than one government).

4. The Goa'uld visited earth thousands of years ago and influenced humanity, posing as gods (mostly Egyptian gods). They took thousands or millions of humans off-world to become slaves. Some were genetically modified into the Jaffa, a warrior race that act as the foot soldiers for the Goa'uld.

5. Sometime during the height of the Ancient Egyptian civilization, humanity rose up and rebelled against their Goa'uld masters. They buried the Stargate, and it was lost from history.

6. In the 1920's (1928), Paul Langford, an Archaeologist, discovered the Stargate, buried, in Egypt. They had no idea what it was.

7. Sometime before WW2, the Germans came into possession of the Stargate. We don't know the details, but they had it during the war.

8. At the end of WW2, the Americans captured the Stargate from the Germans. Paul Langford was brought back in to examine it and experiment with it. They got it working once, but the man they sent through was stranded, presumed dead. They stopped research.

9. Paul had a daughter, named Catherine. She convinced the American Government to restart research in the late 80's-early 90's. In 1994, with the help of Archeologist Daniel Jackson, they were able to decipher how the Stargate works. The movie Stargate takes place at this time.

10. A year later, the events of Stargate SG-1 happen. I'll stop here.

So, the Germans had the Stargate from sometime between 1928, when it was uncovered, and 1945, when the Americans captured it. We don't know how long they had it.

The premise of Stargate Origins, I guess, is that the Germans figured out how to use the Stargate. Thus, Nazi's, encountering parasitic aliens, the Goa'uld.

Thus, Nazi's in Sci-fi.

For the record, Goa'uld do have giant space ships, fleets, etc.

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm currently enjoying a "Story Arc plus kickass standalone episodes" re-watch of SG-1, so I'll be good for a while. Mid-way through Season 5 :)

Awesome, I can only watch it only so many times before the wife makes me not watch it for a while so my envy goes out to you sir .... lol ^_^

1 hour ago, wasab said:

Doing Nazi things what else? Its based in WW2 so it happens that Nazi did a lot of that then... :ph34r:

45 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

So, the Germans had the Stargate from sometime between 1928, when it was uncovered, and 1945, when the Americans captured it. We don't know how long they had it.

The premise of Stargate Origins, I guess, is that the Germans figured out how to use the Stargate. Thus, Nazi's, encountering parasitic aliens, the Goa'uld.

Thus, Nazi's in Sci-fi.

For the record, Goa'uld do have giant space ships, fleets, etc.

Yeah what he ^^^ said.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Loved SG1. Atlantis was meh in comparison. Universe was... something.

And now this... I have no opinion, most likely won't be watching it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, SansVarnic said:

Awesome, I can only watch it only so many times before the wife makes me not watch it for a while so my envy goes out to you sir .... lol ^_^

Doing Nazi things what else? Its based in WW2 so it happens that Nazi did a lot of that then... :ph34r:

Yeah what he ^^^ said.

Haha well it's been quite a few years since I did a full rewatch of the series. Last time I actually watched every episode (I had purchased all 10 seasons on DVD). This time I'm skipping the "adventure of the week" episodes, aside from the exceptional ones (there's a lot of meh, especially in the early seasons).

Your wife should let you watch it again :P

3 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Loved SG1. Atlantis was meh in comparison. Universe was... something.

And now this... I have no opinion, most likely won't be watching it.

Atlantis had it's moments. When it was great, it was great, but it never matched SG-1's best. It did have some excellent space battles though.

I actually liked Universe. The story was kinda meh, but I enjoyed the tone and the characters, mostly.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Haha well it's been quite a few years since I did a full rewatch of the series. Last time I actually watched every episode (I had purchased all 10 seasons on DVD). This time I'm skipping the "adventure of the week" episodes, aside from the exceptional ones (there's a lot of meh, especially in the early seasons).

Your wife should let you watch it again :P

Atlantis had it's moments. When it was great, it was great, but it never matched SG-1's best. It did have some excellent space battles though.

I actually liked Universe. The story was kinda meh, but I enjoyed the tone and the characters, mostly.

the Atlantis replicants were way better than their SG1 counterparts just in my opinion, but the Goa'uld were the Goa'uld, shame the devs nerfed them after the asgard beam update xD

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

the Atlantis replicants were way better than their SG1 counterparts just in my opinion, but the Goa'uld were the Goa'uld, shame the devs nerfed them after the asgard beam update xD

I quite liked the evolution of the SG-1 Replicators - with Carter Replicators eventually taking over, etc, and the whole Anubis arc - that was fucking sick (can't wait to get there in my rewatch).

But overall, the Atlantis Replicators were more interesting. You learned more about their backstory, and the backstory was good.

With that in mind, we don't know much about the SG-1 Replicators. It's entirely possible that they are an off-shoot of the same Atlantis Replicators that the Lanteans engineered.

I was fine with the humans getting Asgard tech. It made things more interesting when the Earth cruisers could actually stand up to other spaceships. Though the Prometheus has a special place in my heart.

9 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I quite liked the evolution of the SG-1 Replicators - with Carter Replicators eventually taking over, etc, and the whole Anubis arc - that was fucking sick (can't wait to get there in my rewatch).

But overall, the Atlantis Replicators were more interesting. You learned more about their backstory, and the backstory was good.

With that in mind, we don't know much about the SG-1 Replicators. It's entirely possible that they are an off-shoot of the same Atlantis Replicators that the Lanteans engineered.

I was fine with the humans getting Asgard tech. It made things more interesting when the Earth cruisers could actually stand up to other spaceships. Though the Prometheus has a special place in my heart.

I've always wondered how the Wraith managed to defeat the Lanteans if their ships except for the size and attack range had no shield at all, few of shots to the hyperdrive or hangar bays and boom, even a single "regular" 304 cruiser manages to destroy a couple of hives without having its shield damaged..

Anyway just realized the original movie is on Youtube for free so I know what I'll be watching tonight

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

I've always wondered how the Wraith managed to defeat the Lanteans if their ships except for the size and attack range had no shield at all, few of shots to the hyperdrive or hangar bays and boom, even a single "regular" 304 cruiser manages to destroy a couple of hives without having its shield damaged..

Anyway just realized the original movie is on Youtube for free so I know what I'll be watching tonight

It's simple - numbers.

The Lanteans were FAR SUPERIOR, technologically, compared to the Wraith. But they were outnumbered something like 10,000 to 1.

Also, the organic hull of a Wraith Cruiser could heal itself and repair damage very quickly.

And to be fair, the BC-304 had advanced Asgard technology. While the Asgard's weren't as advanced as the Lanteans, they probably as close as any non-ascended species ever got, and were likely superior to Wraith tech.