CitizenCon 2017 Megathread

Hawx

(if you're instantly confused by this post, check what subforum you're in lol)

Since I did last year's megathread on these forums, I might as well do this year's as well (it actually serves as a helpful personal reference when I need to find something). CitizenCon is Star Citizen's annual convention. You can see this year's schedule below:

unknown.png

https://go.twitch.tv/starcitizen

Pre-Show Info Releases:

10 articles regarding ship loadouts and stats were releases over the past 2 weeks in a run-up to the launch of the new ship matrix, part 1 is here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16163-The-Shipyard-Careers-And-Roles

The updated ship matrix is available here: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ship-matrix

A website redesign was also teased: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/uwcb22pgvemcbr/source/Website_SneakPeek_Oct24.png

The Sabre Raven is an Intel Optane 900p Exclusive, and will be flyable in 3.0: 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/ships/sabre/Sabre-Raven

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59654/intel-launches-next-gen-optane-ssd-900p/index.html

The CNOU Mustang's redesign is present in the CitizenCon brochure given to attendees and will likely be discussed during the presentations:

https://i.redd.it/rijrsfb35duz.png

The CNOU Pioneer was revealed as a Outpost builder: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/of1es6gu4pa4ir/source/Alderin-Landed-Snow-Shot.jpg

The Weather app MyRadar was updated to with a Star Citizen tie-in, showing off Stanton's moons:

https://i.redd.it/fhevu74r8duz.jpg

During-Show Info Releases:

image.png.6bfeeb5bdfda1c3cbdfa0bffb41fee14.png

image.png.34c2b1ea69aaa9242496c2fd68db5973.png

You can now learn the Xi'an languagehttps://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/88013?page=1&sort=hot

CNOU Pioneer info dump/images/sale: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/16200-Consolidated-Outland-Pioneer

PG Cities Demo was performed! Video here: 

piwlj6xfnfuz.jpg

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

10 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

...and the new delayed release date?

You must be fun at parties.

On a serious note, SC has no release date, it's on a release-by-release basis, with progress covered here:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

As for SQ42, that'll be covered as part of the christmas livestream.

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

3 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Its been 6 years since start of development and still no sight of release... I'm glad I didn't give RSI a cent. As much as I have no faith in them to meet expectations, I sincerely hope every backer eventually gets their money's worth (or their money back)

Even if it ends up successfully releasing say 3 years later, that would mean a product delivered a decade after people paid for a promise. Thats the kind of timespan that can put people into a different stage in life. How one finds that acceptable is just unfathomable. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but there has only been 5 years since 2012? Granted 5 years feels a long time (and believe me it is) but taking into account that a lot of big games never even get announced until about 2 years prior to release so there has been an unknown amount of time of development we don't know about. Red dead redemption for example, began development in 2005 and was released in 2010, that's 5 years from a preexisting studio. I'm not defending CIG to the end of the world, I am getting annoyed with the amount of time its taking now but still, 5 years isn't the worst thing.

Also notes that TF2 took 9 years to make and Star Craft 2 took 7 years both from preexisting studios.

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

On 10/28/2017 at 2:03 PM, huilun02 said:

As much as I have no faith in them to meet expectations, I sincerely hope every backer eventually gets their money's worth (or their money back)

Well, right now Star Citizen has about as much content as a modern call of duty title (or some generic survival game such as ark survival evolved).
So... I suppose you do get your money's worth if you consider call of duty at 50% price as "money's worth". Anyway, you do get some pretty sweet graphics (I tried star citizen, and the graphical fidelity is competitive with recent titles).

I bought it before they bumped the price from $40 to $60 so I'm relatively happy with my purchase, although for $40 $60 it isn't particularly impressive when you can buy a modern game with 100 hours of content for less than that.
EDIT: If squadron 42 can be at least as good as mass effect, and star citizen can be at least as fun as destiny then I think the backers will get their money's worth and star citizen might be able to become a fairly popular and reputable game even if they don't meet their massive expectations. A destiny/mass effect style game would be great for $60 if it came out on console as well as PC (which I can see happening if 8 core Zen consoles become a thing).

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

4 hours ago, huilun02 said:

And yet none of those games took customers' money before making them wait out all those years with a risk of non delivery. 

Yeah that's fair, that's just the way the market seems to be heading. As major publishers seem to deliver less and less, people are more willing to dump some money they might never see into a kickstarter, indie gogo or other crowd funding platform in the hopes they might get the game they want. 

I mean next car game / wreckfest is a kickstarter game that's been around for years and it's still not finished with nowhere near as large of a scope as star citizen. But there's two sides to every coin, some people don't like the principle for paying for something before it's made and others are happy to give for a 'cause'. 

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

11 hours ago, huilun02 said:

And yet none of those games took customers' money before making them wait out all those years with a risk of non delivery. 

CIG never took my money, I gave them my money and I backed the project because I wanted something that felt complete unlike these £60 for 20% of a recycled game.

Plus if it wasn't for backers wanting a bigger game it wouldn't have taken this long for Squadron 42 to be out AND the game wouldn't even exist because production companies didn't believe that people wanted space combat games anyway.

14 hours ago, huilun02 said:

Backers did not give money away for just any game. Many if not most backers gave the money so that we can have the game we always dreamt of. We want this game to happen and we believe in CR to deliver it. Looking at the insane amount of attention to even the smallest details shown in the videos every week, i still have zero doubts that CIG will deliver that game. Even just the small piece of space (relatively) we get in 3.0 will contain at least as much stuff and gameplay as most games released today. Makes it idd a little difficult to even imagine that the final game will be 100x bigger.

yup i cant wait, but im going to do it anyway, and yeah ill probably give them more money along the way there. Just because i want this game so much.

i also enjoy saying this over and over again cuz i still havent found a hater that can give me any reason what so ever that this game will never happen.

I have no signature

If you backed this game. I truly appreciate you! 

Spoiler

RAMBLING INBOUND

I can't think of 1 Company that has produced a product with this much transparency through the design process and this much attention to detail along the way. Plus implementing communities feedback, it's honestly amazing. I'm tired of companies releasing half baked games and charging $60 for the base game. Especially nowadays... you have to wait for 2 dlcs to truly feel like you got your money's worth.

People thinking that they won't deliver on this game, they already have.... Are you even paying attention? You can literally see their whole design process and how far they've come with a quick google search. Building a game for the future doesn't happen overnight, thinking 5 years, even 7 years is "more than enough time" or "it's taking too long" is extremely naive. 

I imagine star citizen being the next WoW. It'll be forever evolving and improving with future technology. Its community will have a global presence and all the early adopters will be to take for it all.

On 10/29/2017 at 9:59 PM, PanteaDropper said:

Snip

They have already achieved great things technically and it's clearly not a scam. Being able to walk around in a fully detailed world then hop in a spaceship, walk around that, then take off and fly millions of miles... Meanwhile if somebody looks through your window they can see what's going on. Then you can go out and spacewalk along the way, dock at a spacestation etc before landing on another planet. All this simulated seamlessly in one instance with 64 bit precision using no artificial transitions. That's unprecedented stuff, required lots of R&D and they did it.

But do you think it will be fun to play?

1 minute ago, Humbug said:

They have already achieved great things technically and it's clearly not a scam. Being able to walk around in a fully detailed world then hop in a spaceship, walk around that, then take off and fly millions of miles... Meanwhile if somebody looks through your window they can see what's going on. Then you can go out and spacewalk along the way, dock at a spacestation etc before landing on another planet. All this simulated seamlessly in one instance with 64 bit precision using no artificial transitions. That's unprecedented stuff, required lots of R&D and they did it.

Yeah, isn't the fun coming from the single player side of things?

I think they show more of that around Christmas.

21 hours ago, PanteaDropper said:

Yeah, isn't the fun coming from the single player side of things?

Why?

Shouldn't the persistent universe be fun too.

They need to show some proper gameplay loops.

On 01/11/2017 at 3:49 AM, Humbug said:

18 hours ago, Humbug said:

Why?

Shouldn't the persistent universe be fun too.

They need to show some proper gameplay loops.

The game is fun now, persistant universe included but the main issue is the same we had in 2015 which was the drought before the next big patch hopefully with the incremental patcher they release with 3.0 will mean we can have updates to gameplay sooner rather than having to wait, it's beginning to strain on the LTT crew that meet up every week.