EVGA G3 NOISE

BIGSWEDE
Go to solution Solved by BIGSWEDE,

I Put my PSU upside down and turned on ECO mode, now 3 weeks later it haven't started even once, now finally there is silence. And YES i have but the computer under heavy loads for hours just to make shure it works.

Hi everybody.

I spent an awfull amount on money making my dream machine, but and thats a big BUT. I bought the EVGA G3 850W since the spec said it would't start fan spinning until my computer reached a 400watts powerdraw.

The truth is that if i run it in "eco" mode, the fan starts spinning full speed hairblower style in desktop mode. 2 times everyhour just surfing the web.

I took this supply since all the awesome reviews it got from reputable reviewers out there.

the specs says it has a 130mm fan Hydraulic Dynamic Bearing. And they leave a 10 year warranty. I've never sen such fan last 10 years. And i could take it if the fan was on low in none eco mode. But now eco mode is off and the fan is like a loud crappy fan at 1000rpm.

I do know, that i shouldn't open it up for a change of fan since there is danger in it. But have anyone tried to open it up for a fan change? 130mm isn't standard. if anyone? is it possible to mount a silent 120/140mm in it?

2 minutes ago, BIGSWEDE said:

Hi everybody.

I spent an awfull amount on money making my dream machine, but and thats a big BUT. I bought the EVGA G3 850W since the spec said it would't start fan spinning until my computer reached a 400watts powerdraw.

The truth is that if i run it in "eco" mode, the fan starts spinning full speed hairblower style in desktop mode. 2 times everyhour just surfing the web.

I took this supply since all the awesome reviews it got from reputable reviewers out there.

the specs says it has a 130mm fan Hydraulic Dynamic Bearing. And they leave a 10 year warranty. I've never sen such fan last 10 years. And i could take it if the fan was on low in none eco mode. But now eco mode is off and the fan is like a loud crappy fan at 1000rpm.

I do know, that i shouldn't open it up for a change of fan since there is danger in it. But have anyone tried to open it up for a fan change? 130mm isn't standard. if anyone? is it possible to mount a silent 120/140mm in it?

Just contact EVGA if there is a problem with it, if you open it up you've kissed goodbye to that warranty IMO.

It's not normal behaviour for sure, my 850W P2 PSU hasn't spinned up it's fan EVER yet, I know this for a fact as I check occasionally and also the dust filter. I think you got a bad one.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

24 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

my 850W P2 PSU hasn't spinned up it's fan EVER yet

Same power supply and can confirm. When I play BF1 the fan will occasionally turn on but its dead silent. 850G3's should be very, very similar.

30 minutes ago, BIGSWEDE said:

Hi everybody.

How long ago did you buy the power supply? See if you can return it and swap for the same model.

i bought mine in april. i got 3 years local warranty. maybe i just should give them a call and get it changed. is your turning the fan full force in desktop to?

EVGA wants to put themself as an enthusiast brand. This is an ultimate epic fail. Always had Corsair in my rigs, but when this one came up with so good reviews i just grabbed it like the one to have. No reviewers wrote anything about the loud fan, i even grabbed the bigger 850 to ensure that the fan was NOT going to start at all. below you can se the inside. But it looks like the fan power connector is stuck in some way. So opening it and put a very low noise fan seems  to be looking for trouble. 

15-Inside.jpg

As others have said, the G3's fan curve is a bit retarded. I suppose you could always just hit up the retailer you bought it from and see if they would allow you to "downgrade" to a G2, or if they refuse, see if EVGA will do it.

Whatever you do, just don't drop down to the NEX/G1, because the fan in those never turns off and it's horrendously loud (I had one and ended up replacing it with my CX750M).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Maybe i should turn the psu upside down? i got a fractal define r5 case. that makes the fan from the inside. is it worth a try? :D

11 hours ago, BIGSWEDE said:

Maybe i should turn the psu upside down? i got a fractal define r5 case. that makes the fan from the inside. is it worth a try? :D

Not really.

The PSU is designed that way...

There isn't much you can do except replacing the PSU with something less noisy...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

• 4 weeks later...

I Put my PSU upside down and turned on ECO mode, now 3 weeks later it haven't started even once, now finally there is silence. And YES i have but the computer under heavy loads for hours just to make shure it works.