ISP creating secondary WiFi

IgorM

My ISP (NET Virtua from Brasil) is uses the wireless router/modem combo to create an open WiFi network so other clients can use internet outside home. This is compromising my own network channel  (I can only use 2.4 GHz), as well as using my resources to create something that I don't want. How can I disable that? I've already tried to do it on their website, but no success. 

8 minutes ago, IgorM said:

My ISP (NET Virtua from Brasil) is uses the wireless router/modem combo to create an open WiFi network so other clients can use internet outside home. This is compromising my own network channel  (I can only use 2.4 GHz), as well as using my resources to create something that I don't want. How can I disable that? I've already tried to do it on their website, but no success. 

Do you own or lease the modem? 

I'm a little confused here... Are you saying that there is both a 5 Ghz and a 2.4 GHz network channels and you want to disable the 5 Ghz one?

• CPU = i7 5930k
  • Cooler = Corsair H100i
  • RAM = Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4-2666
  • Storage = Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
  • GPU = EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW3
  • PSU = Corsair 750D
  • PSU = Corsair 1000W
  • Monitor = Asus PG278Q

Contact your ISP or shield your router to prevent wireless signals and run an external AP or wireless router.

-KuJoe

Most ISPs do this now to "expand coverage". If you can't turn it off in the router's settings, just buy your own router. You're better off with that anyways.

Currently majoring in computer networking. That's about it yeah. Not much goes on in my life.

Be sure to quote me if you want me to reply!

tell the isp you just want a modem and thats it and get you own ap and they say no you cant do that pm me and ill do it for you lol its easy, telus and shaw here in canada have done this and i dont want to be swatted cuz of my next door neighbor

13 minutes ago, TheCherryKing said:

Do you own or lease the modem? 

lease

12 minutes ago, JerrBear said:

I'm a little confused here... Are you saying that there is both a 5 Ghz and a 2.4 GHz network channels and you want to disable the 5 Ghz one?

both are at 2.4

10 minutes ago, kagarium said:

Most ISPs do this now to "expand coverage". If you can't turn it off in the router's settings, just buy your own router. You're better off with that anyways.

Haven't seen an option to turn it off. The problem is that the channel keeps interfering and it used to work fine before this secondary wifi thing.

12 minutes ago, IgorM said:

lease

Some ISPs in the United States lease modems that have a public network that can't be turned off. You will probably have to buy a modem. There are some that are very affordable. 

10 minutes ago, IgorM said:

Haven't seen an option to turn it off. The problem is that the channel keeps interfering and it used to work fine before this secondary wifi thing.

The US ISP Comcast does this. While there is an on/off option, it rarely works. OR the radio gets turned back on. The easy way around this, is to run just a standard modem. Then use your own router. That may or not be possible, depends on your ISP. Check with your ISP and your Government on this. In the US case, we have some what of a legal right to own our own modems. While some ISPs dont provide any technical assistance, they still have to allow it. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

The US ISP Comcast does this. While there is an on/off option, it rarely works. OR the radio gets turned back on. The easy way around this, is to run just a standard modem. Then use your own router. That may or not be possible, depends on your ISP. Check with your ISP and your Government on this. In the US case, we have some what of a legal right to own our own modems. While some ISPs dont provide any technical assistance, they still have to allow it. 

I had to buy my modem so I wouldn't have a public network. I have Comcast because it is the only option in this neighborhood. 

Apparently, the secondary wifi point doesn't utilize the account holder's own bandwidth.

I do wonder if it would be possible to run both wifi points in parallel on home devices to increase bandwidth. :P

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

If setup right by the ISP (which I assume they did) it should interfere with your network at all. the open wifi hotspot runs on a completly different vlan so they can't access your network. if the wifi is on the same channel as yours is just change your channel (or put in on auto so it will find the best channel). You said you are leasing the device so there is nothing you can do about this, you will probably see this in the lease terms (that document you never read) which you agreed to.

9 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Apparently, the secondary wifi point doesn't utilize the account holder's own bandwidth.

I do wonder if it would be possible to run both wifi points in parallel on home devices to increase bandwidth. :P

On the Comcast Network the open WiFi is throttled to 16Mbps, but does not count against your data cap. So yeah. You can use shit loads of data if you wanted. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.