Mediocre Terrors: Y.A.P.B.L. (Yet Another Prodigy Build Log) UPDATE: Complete

UPDATE: The Build is now Complete (for now at least)

My case is dark, and full of somewhat terrifying terrors.

I know butchered the quote, but I had to include it somehow...

Anyway, So I know I should probably finish my last computer build (this one), but It's currently on hold until I finish the computer I am building for my father, which is using the same parts, but is in a motorcycle engine instead of the PS1. I hope to eventually post a build log of it, however I'd like to see if it would actually work before posting it, unlike what I did with my last Build Log. On to the Current build, about 2 months ago, I decided I actually wanted to upgrade and get a smaller, more compact, and more easy to carry around pc for when I head off to University. So with that in mind, I decided on this build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU:  Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($239.75 @ Vuugo)

CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.79 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard:  Gigabyte GA-Z87N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ NCIX)

Memory:  Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Memory Express)

Storage:  Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk  ($108.15 @ DirectCanada)

Storage:  Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card:  EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card  ($259.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Case:  BitFenix Prodigy (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case  ($49.99 @ NCIX)

Case Fan:  Scythe Gentle Typhoon 57.7 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.99 @ NCIX)

Case Fan:  Scythe Gentle Typhoon 57.7 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($19.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply:  Silverstone Strider Essential 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($56.41 @ DirectCanada)

Total: $1034.03

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-04 13:34 EST-0500)

Only with one small change. Originally, I had wanted to go with the Node 304, however the prodigy was on sale, and so I decided to save $40 and go with it. Also, the fans, cooler, power supply, hard drive and ram were from the pc I am upgrading from. 

With that out of the way, on to the pictures.

Part I : The Components

Lets Start with the Motherboard,

7JiOHKPl.jpg

It may not be the best Mini-itx motherboard in the world, but it works, can overclock, and has WiFi as well as Bluetooth connectivity so it works for me. Can't say I really like the placement of the cpu socket though. Its seems like it will make my plan of having a hyper 212 with gentle typhoons in push/pull an impossibility though. Maybe I should end up getting myself something like a h100i or a h80i for Christmas? 

Next up is the 760.

gNQ0Ptil.jpg

Its a nice enough looking card, however i was expecting something a little smaller, based off of the size of my friend's DirectCU II 760. As for how the two look together, 
tSsuKpPl.jpg
I'd say they look pretty good.

Everyone knows what the Prodigy is, so I won't waste my time typing about it, but here are some pictures. I have to say though, I would have though it would have been a bit bigger.

018JEqvl.jpg

7vQpAMLl.jpg

I couldn't really get any good pictures of the ssd on its own, so here it is with my cat. Personally I think the cat looks better, but the ssd looks pretty good itself.

QG4nwtBl.jpg

Unfortunately, no good pictures of the CPU, and the rest of the parts are in the computer I'm typing this on, so they can't really have their pictures taken. Now, its time to build this computer, I'll update this when I'm done building it.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

Why is the light yellow, anyways can't wait to see it built

QG4nwtBl.jpg

This picture is awesome. a cat showing off a product. It's like buy it before I kill you.

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

This looks promising. Can't wait to see more pictures! :)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Why is the light yellow, anyways can't wait to see it built

This picture is awesome. a cat showing off a product. It's like buy it before I kill you.

The light's yellow due to a combination of the Florescent lighting in the room, and some strange white balance settings on my camera. I tried to reduce it as much as I could, since it was really bad before I made some edits to those photos. 

I does, only your build will be much more high end.

Build LogsPCX - A HTPC/Low End Gaming PC in a Playstation 1 Chasis (90-ish% done) | Yamaha PC-350 (Computer in a RD-350 engine) --> Coming Soon | Mediocre Terrors: Yet Another Prodigy Build Log

I does, only your build will be much more high end.

Eh, only the Video Card is different for the most part. How does the black PCB on the motherboard look? Mine should be here very soon :) Also, not sure if that cooler will fit do to the fact that the CPU socket is so close to the PCI slot, I would recommend the H80i although expensive.

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

Eh, only the Video Card is different for the most part. How does the black PCB on the motherboard look? Mine should be here very soon :) Also, not sure if that cooler will fit do to the fact that the CPU socket is so close to the PCI slot, I would recommend the H80i although expensive.

I personally love the look of the black PCB. Also, I guessed as much would happen with the CPU cooler, but there's no real harm in trying to see if it fits.

I personally love the look of the black PCB. Also, I guessed as much would happen with the CPU cooler, but there's no real harm in trying to see if it fits.

This is true! Let me know how it goes!

I have the board and the hyper 212 does not fit as the GPU is to close to the CPU. Spin it around and the ram is in the way.  I went with a seidon 120 until i can afford a custom cooling solution.

UPDATE: The Build is now Complete (for now at least)

To start off, I was going to post an update last night, but the computer I was going to use to upload it was kinda in pieces...

Part II: Mid Build

Also, due to me being really tired while building the computer, since I worked on it from basically 9-12:30 last night there is not many pictures of the computer mid-build. There is this though.
TQfJiEal.jpg
(ITS ALIVE!)

Part III: The Computer is Finally Complete

Now for the part which most people look for (or at the very least which I do), pictures of the completed build. Also for these, I found a better lit location to take some pictures, so hopefully no more yellow lighting. Let's start with the front of the case shall we?

D7WNARhl.jpg

I like it personally. Also, as for that EVGA badge,

G4cumkpl.jpg

I think it looks amazing with the Bitfenix logo. Additionally, it's probably the only sticker I would ever put on my case. Flipping the case to the back,

Nded5dMl.jpg

Nothing really special is there. Mainly it's just included for completeness. Time to open it up shall we?

wyTXHxAl.jpg\

Starting with the video card side, I'd say it looks nice, and the cable management isn't that bad. Unfortunately that will not last, but those pictures will come later. Time to take a closer look at the parts on this side first.

YIrBBItl.jpg

Starting with the video card. Though it's bigger than I thought it would be, I like it. It's fairly quiet, runs cool (idles at around 28 degrees Celsius), and it looks good. Next up is the storage,

j4NdpL2l.jpg

I never though a SSD would make the difference it would, but wow, the difference in boot times between it and the hard drive is really impressive.

VlXqay6l.jpg

I feel a little bad for putting a gentle typhoon there, but it had no where else to go, and I figured a pressure oriented fan would be good for blowing air over the cramped space of the drive cages. Now on to the back, and the terror of my cable management...

iAtfp8Kl.jpg

Another picture of all the cables.

09zWTQDl.jpg

I can't really say much about this, besides the fact that I should really get a modular power supply. Looking more closely at the back,

PRKSSnnl.jpg

One can see that I obviously do not have the hyper 212 installed. The main reason for this was simply that after I tested to see if the computer would post, I was tired and decided to just stick with the stock cooler for now, and then buy a liquid cooler for my cpu sometime in the future. Another thing of interest at the back in my mind would my terribly placed fan controllers, so why not have a photo?

IfptgA2l.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions on what to replace these with? they are not that bad, just really bulky, once the cables are tied up. One last thing, installing Windows.

dRONhFgl.jpg

All that work of getting the cables somewhat organized, all gone out the window.

If anyone wants to see an album of the photos, they can be found here.

Part IV: Conclusions.

Did I learn anything building this? I'd say I learned a couple of things. For example, I learned that Mini-ITX board are a bit of a pain to work with, and I learned just how much I wished I had a modular power supply. Speaking of which, anyone know any good sub $100 mudular power supplies, along with any good fan controllers, and good, but also somewhat cheap liquid coolers? Thanks.

wow the cables look like my spaghetti party

| Contact Information |
My Teamspeak : Austs1.gameservers.com:9334  |  Steam: Iamtictac456  |  My other aliases include Scruffy and Scruffy Biggems :)

wow the cables look like my spaghetti party

Well I can definitely see how you can make that connection, as they do look really messy.

Part IV: Conclusions.

Did I learn anything building this? I'd say I learned a couple of things. For example, I learned that Mini-ITX board are a bit of a pain to work with, and I learned just how much I wished I had a modular power supply. Speaking of which, anyone know any good sub $100 mudular power supplies, along with any good fan controllers, and good, but also somewhat cheap liquid coolers? Thanks.

You could take a look at the Corsair CX series of psu's, they're pretty inexpensive and they have modular iterations. As for the AIO, the ThermalTake Water series have been pretty inexpensive lately. I have a Corsair PSU and ThermalTake cooler and both serve me quite well.

You could take a look at the Corsair CX series of psu's, they're pretty inexpensive and they have modular iterations. As for the AIO, the ThermalTake Water series have been pretty inexpensive lately. I have a Corsair PSU and ThermalTake cooler and both serve me quite well.

To be honest, I was actually looking into the CX600M and Thermaltake's water 2.0 coolers today. Though it does worry me that the reviews of the either the 2.0 perormance, or the 2.0 pro make it seem like the pump will fail after a year. Ragardless, they will probably be the parts I end up getting.

I've had my water 2.0 over a year now and it's still working great!

Thanks for the info, and that reassuring to hear. I'll probably get the water 2.0 extreme instead of the pro though, simply because the extreme is on sale to be $10 more than the pro and has a $20 rebate.