DAN C4-SFX: A water & air cooled SFF case

dondan
Message added by LinusTech

Plz don't close this thread.

@dondan

I was looking at Louqe Ghost S1 mk2 and saw your thread on here, and it looks super interesting and I very much like it. (Most likely would switch over)

However, I do have some few concerns. 

Q1:

It seems like you are considering 2.5 slot for the case to allow fitment for a card like ASUS 1080 Ti Strix. But it seems like your max clearance you allowed for Graphics cards are only 295mm when the Strix cards are 298mm. Was there a dimension change? or am I just missing something entirely? If the clearance was not changed, would you be willing to make the change to allow upto 300mm?

Q2:

What would the exact clearance change for the CPU cooler/pumps if the 2.5 slot was used? (I'm assuming the 2.5 slot will take away the clearance for CPU coolers).

Q3:

Do you have an estimated timeline? (or possibly a estimated time when the case would be in my hands?) Just checking since you did mention long production time for one of the A4 disadvantages. 

Q4:

Will you consider any air filters for panels with venting holes? I thought magnetic air filters would be a nice addition. I'm also thinking that there would be more negative air pressure that will draw in air from top panel (based on your air diagram), and this will come with dust. A simple magnetic dust filter for the top, sides, bottom (x4) or (x3 with temper glass) and clean non-venting back panel will make the system less prone to dust. I am actually really hoping that you do put in dust filters even if that means higher price tag. 

Q5:

So what was the final statement on having the logo on the case, and the back panel situation(venting, clean, robber grommets)?

Q6:

Will you consider any add-on projects? Possibly a universal dan-cases carrying bag? A nice quality bag for travel that doesn't take too much space, and fits just the A4 and C4 case. I'm assuming most if not some SFF enthusiasts are traveling and relocating their setups very frequently, and a method to handle the case would be a great plus.

Thanks in advance 

5 hours ago, enome said:

Q6:

Will you consider any add-on projects? Possibly a universal dan-cases carrying bag? A nice quality bag for travel that doesn't take too much space, and fits just the A4 and C4 case. I'm assuming most if not some SFF enthusiasts are traveling and relocating their setups very frequently, and a method to handle the case would be a great plus.

This would actually be really nice!

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

@enome

Q1: The maximum supported length is 303mm, but I specified it for 295mm for easy installation.

Q2: - 10mm

Q3: Prototypes are in production. I will have the first samples in the next 2-3 weeks. Kickstarter will start end of May or early June.

Q4: Same procedure as for the A4-SFX I will talk with Demcifilter.com 

Q5: The case will have a logo at the front. I think without it the front looks very boring.

Q6: Wallye TACTIK DUFFLE V2 should fit. I will talk with Wallye about this topic.

16 hours ago, dondan said:

@enome

Q1: The maximum supported length is 303mm, but I specified it for 295mm for easy installation.

Q3: Prototypes are in production. I will have the first samples in the next 2-3 weeks. Kickstarter will start end of May or early June.

Q5: The case will have a logo at the front. I think without it the front looks very boring.

Q6: Wallye TACTIK DUFFLE V2 should fit. I will talk with Wallye about this topic.

thanks for the answers

you have one more future backer on your list, and will be looking forward to it

I really do hope the filters for venting holes will be included tho

• 1 month later...
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, dondan said:

@enome

How do I put my name down for the Kickstarter so I don't miss out on the black colour scheme and support your cause?

Do you have any info on the Kickstarter pricing?

Do you ship to the UK?

Thanks

7 hours ago, AbdullahQuan said:

How do I put my name down for the Kickstarter so I don't miss out on the black colour scheme and support your cause?

Do you have any info on the Kickstarter pricing?

Do you ship to the UK?

Thanks

Theres more updates on this(link) forum as he is more active there. I believe the kickstarter is planned on end of may.
The updates on the other forum indicates that kickstarter pricing would be 170-190 euros.
I believe it does ship to UK

Here are some first shots of the C4-SFX made by Lian Li. I will get more the next days. Keep in mind, that the Window panel screws are not the correct one. Currently you see a acrylic sample of the Window Kit because the tempered glass version isn't done:

_dsc250506row.jpg
_dsc2527ajpwf.jpg
_dsc2513lyrte.jpg

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

6 hours ago, dondan said:

Here are some first shots of the C4-SFX made by Lian Li. I will get more the next days. Keep in mind, that the Window panel screws are not the correct one. Currently you see a acrylic sample of the Window Kit because the tempered glass version isn't done:

With best regards

Daniel Hansen

Looks sick. How much space is there between the GPU and the CPU? Would there be space for a something like a EK waterblock with 90 degree fittings?

18 hours ago, dondan said:

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

@LinusTech @GabenJr @nicklmg

Image result for its happening

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Here are some more pictures of the C4-SFX. Yes you look right there is no type-c port on the i/o. I tried everything to keep it but the port itself requires a very long part behind the port that will collide with the front hdd. The supplier make some tests to make it shorter but failed.

_dsc256913xuqe.jpg

_dsc2565o2uim.jpg

_dsc2551ecuq0.jpg

_dsc255404uqt.jpg

16 hours ago, dondan said:

Here are some more pictures of the C4-SFX. Yes you look right there is no type-c port on the i/o. I tried everything to keep it but the port itself requires a very long part behind the port that will collide with the front hdd. The supplier make some tests to make it shorter but failed.

_dsc256913xuqe.jpg

_dsc2565o2uim.jpg

_dsc2551ecuq0.jpg

_dsc255404uqt.jpg

wait so, what if you prefer to have the AIOs at the top (placing the entire rig on your right side so window side will be on the left)
how would the feets/cover be inverted? @dondan

Lian Li build the prototypes again and now the quality is very good. Here are some pictures of the top i/o version:

_dsc2629apr6x.jpg

_dsc2625zipko.jpg

_dsc26353bqol.jpg

_dsc2643otrrv.jpg

_dsc263898re2.jpg

Here are the pics of the side i/o version:

_dsc2651w9rlw.jpg

_dsc2652dmqrw.jpg

_dsc2657m4ra5.jpg

_dsc265657r9e.jpg

With best regards
Daniel Hansen

Ooof, looking great so far

I think top i/o looks better, needs a usb type-c tho

Here are the preview results of the first test with the C4-SFX.

Testsetup:

• Ryzen 7 1700 @ default clock
  • Asus Strix B350-I
  • Nvidia Titan X (Pascal)
  • 32GB DDR4
  • Corsair 450 SFX
  • Asetek 120mm AIO (27mm Radiator)
  • 2x Noctua NF-A12x25

I used Prime95 (26.6) 8K run for max CPU load and Valley Benchmark 2.5K simultaneous. The case fans spin at 100%.

Radiator on Top

---------------------------------------CPU--------GPU Clock----GPU FAN----GPU temp-----Room
FAN push out - open------------50 °C------max 1800------2350 rpm------82 °C------25 °C
FAN push out - vented----------50 °C------max 1780------2380 rpm------82 °C------25 °C
FAN push out - Window--------52 °C------max 1780------2410 rpm------83 °C------25 °C
FAN suck in - open--------------50 °C------max 1800------2350 rpm------81 °C------25 °C
FAN suck in - vented------------50 °C------max 1780------2380 rpm------82 °C------25 °C
FAN suck in - Window----------52 °C------max 1780------2410 rpm------82 °C------25 °C

Radiator on Bottom

----------------------------------------CPU--------GPU Clock----GPU FAN----GPU temp-----Room                                           
FAN push out - open-------------54 °C------max 1780------2380 rpm------82 °C------25 °C
FAN push out - vented-----------56 °C------max 1780------2400 rpm------82 °C------25 °C
FAN push out - Window---------57 °C------max 1780------2430 rpm------83 °C------25 °C
FAN suck in - open---------------52 °C------max 1780------2380 rpm------82 °C------25 °C
FAN suck in - vented-------------56 °C------max 1780------2410 rpm------83 °C------25 °C
FAN suck in - Window-----------56 °C------max 1780------2410 rpm------83 °C------25 °C

20180521_20122227upc.jpg

20180521_201253hnuh9.jpg

20180521_201355o6urv.jpg

20180521_201502fvuco.jpg

20180521_201617eeulv.jpg

20180521_201628c0ug3.jpg

20180521_201638oiuhy.jpg

20180521_201647oyuf6.jpg

20180521_201706v3u2l.jpg

20180521_2017247iukk.jpg

20180521_2018584yusa.jpg

Man, this case looks absolute gorgeous. Great work Daniel! I'm so happy you went with the side IO. The windowed version looks fantastic. Now we just need a USB type C on the side too (for usb 3.1 gen 2 header), for proper power output and speed, for external ssd's and phones. Should fit if you push the SSD up to towards the top?

With a 240 radiator, we should see really good temps for such a small system.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Here are some pictures of the silver version with radiator on top. Sorry for the image quality  I only have a smartphone here and the light wasn't that good outside.

20180522_211459iuplt.jpg

20180522_211640_0010ep75.jpg

20180522_211820cooik.jpg

20180522_211847w4p2z.jpg

20180522_211922b6olz.jpg

20180522_2121265yruj.jpg

20180522_212132idolp.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

This looks absolutely incredible, definitely my next build.

I have a crazy question. I see there may be enough space behind the GPU and above to theoretically put another pcie slot. I'm thinking that I could probably run an M.2 extension to the slot and get more lanes/slots out of it. Would it be possible to run something like a capture card or anything else around that bandwidth behind a 2 slot GPU? Wondering if I could mod this could also house my Elgato 4k60 which would be absolutely insane

EDIT: Clarification, I’m aware that there will be some modding involved to get the card in there, curious if there is enough room between the PCIE rear panel and the PSU as it looks like the PSU extrudes out a bit. The HD60 Pro needs 122mm and the 4k60 Pro needs 178mm. I’d be 100% willing to downgrade my capture card if it’d work!

Edited by dgafrica420lol
clarification

• 1 month later...

It's just a shame that you can't remove the bracket between the GPU and the liquid cooler (to have as an option) and the 2 fans or the radiator in order to install a 2-way SLI/Crossfire, specially with the extra space that's being added since the v3. 

16 hours ago, Voldorac said:

in order to install a 2-way SLI/Crossfire

You cant do SLI or Crossfire configurations in an mITX case anyways. Motherboards in this size do not carry more than one PCI-e x16 slot

• 5 months later...

@dondan

Hi! Just wondering what happened, being that the last update about this project was back on May (2018) and prototypes looked so great. 

Is it still on track? Hopefully you can overcome whatever is keeping this project on hold. Cheers!

On 12/29/2018 at 5:21 PM, _Reves said:

@dondan

Hi! Just wondering what happened, being that the last update about this project was back on May (2018) and prototypes looked so great. 

Is it still on track? Hopefully you can overcome whatever is keeping this project on hold. Cheers!

The subforum on SFF.com is much more active than here, so progress has  bene made but most of the updates are on that site. I believe C4 has gone over a rehaul and a lot of the prototypes you see in renders and pictures are not being produced yet.