Looking for a career in tech. I draw things.

Hi all! I'm an architect in training who's thinking about how to incorporate my tech skills with my career. Right now I'm doing IT work for my architect boss, but I'd like to kick it up a notch. Does anyone know of any companies that regularly recruit draftsmen, architects, etc. to design their components? I'm mostly interested in case design, but I also love putting together parts lists and assembling computers.

2 minutes ago, MuffinManDan said:

interested in case design

Case manufacturers, I guess.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

6 minutes ago, MuffinManDan said:

Hi all! I'm an architect in training who's thinking about how to incorporate my tech skills with my career. Right now I'm doing IT work for my architect boss, but I'd like to kick it up a notch. Does anyone know of any companies that regularly recruit draftsmen, architects, etc. to design their components? I'm mostly interested in case design, but I also love putting together parts lists and assembling computers.

since u love assembling stuff

why dont u look into building ur own arcade sticks as a starter ( for ur own company or smt )

(◑‿◐)

@TVwazhere works with CAD, so he might be able to help out. 

Custom pinewood case, Corsair CX 600WRampage 3 Extreme, i7 980x (@4.2ghz) with ML240 Cooler MSI GTX 970, 24gb DDR3, 240gb OCZ Tr150 SSD + 2Tb Seagate Baracuda. 

Advocate for used/older hardware. Also one of the resident petrol heads. 

I am not an expert on this topic, although I would suggest looking into being a custom system builder for a company such as Puget-systems. Other wise, if you are interested in designing pc parts many companies such as Corsair, ASUS, Fractal Design, Intel, etc might have offerings for careers.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

15 hours ago, ImadKnight said:

@TVwazhere works with CAD, so he might be able to help out. 

Sadly I dont keep a track list of which case manufacturers are hiring draftsmen :P

I found my current job through a head hunting company, but of course for the most part I was delivering emails with resumes the old fashioned way. In additon, since you mentioned architecture, maybe look into construction companies, as i believe cases fall under a "manufacturing category" and it will be harder to convince companies to take your resume over someone with a mechanical CAD degree (assuming CAD is what you're looking to combine IT skills and Architecture with)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

9 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

I found my current job through a head hunting

Mind if I ask what your job is? I thought headhunters search you and not the opposite way. Must be a very high paying job. Anyway. Glad for you that it worked :)

I think that CAD is the way to go, but not necessarily for PC cases... anything from keyboard to phones. Or maybe you could step your game as an architect and do more visual things like 3D simulations and stuff.

I taught myself Windows Remote Support long ago.  I have over 400 clients world-wide. All of them are referrals.  I started off traveling to people's homes to assemble their new computer stations i.e. Desktop/Laptop, Printers, Modems, Routers etc.  As the years went by I continued to specialize in Windows OS, starting with Windows 95.  All the "at home customers" learned about my remote support soon after I experimented with several remote-connect programs (2005).  From there, the referrals began to appear in my email Inbox.

Whatever it is you are going to tackle you need to do with passion, tenacity and get your client base to 20 people as soon as possible.  They will start pointing other customers in your direction. BUT. You must have integrity, never leave a job uncompleted, never be content.

Good luck!

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I like the idea of working for a custom computer manufacturer like Puget, possibly designing configurations of systems. I love pushing the limit of small form factor, high performance PCs. Plus I have small hands, perfect for putting together difficult specialty systems, hehe

On 9/23/2017 at 10:18 AM, Teddy07 said:

Mind if I ask what your job is? I thought headhunters search you and not the opposite way. Must be a very high paying job. Anyway. Glad for you that it worked :)

My current job is with a LBP of one of the largest automation solution business (<--side note, why is it spelled like that but we sound the S before the i?) on the globe (a fancy way of saying we provide valves and controllable methods for anything that flows down a pipe), and my job is to provide our customer with an overall drawing of the product they will be getting(Almost always in a @d form but recently have been providing 3D models for skid builders), as well as in the instances where our customer is local enough, provide electrical cabinets, layouts and services via our systems engineers. 

Headhunters did find me actually, I guess I should clarify. A job opportunity came up, and the headhunter found my resume online, of which I had posted for almost exactly a year. (It was a long year for me personally, having to work two dead end jobs)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Architect in training who knows CAD and wants to be a designer? That's a good start, basically any hardware manufacturer needs people like you. Designing things that people use, don't limit yourself to "traditional" high tech industries. Sewing machines? High tech now, need designers. Dishwashers, High tech now, need designers. Keyboards, need designers. Monitors? TVs? Power tools? All of the above qualify as high tech in one form or another, most incorporate electronics and technology and all of them need designers that can handle human to machine interfaces. If you really want to do machine design you might want to change your focus from Architect to a design field focused on smaller object design rather than building design (the normal focus for architect) - but keep the "human usability" focus of the Architecture field.