How do I stop annoying coil whine? (GTX 1080)

ShadyOrb09

Hello, just recently got a pair of HD598s and because they're open back and my old ones were closed I guess I never realized when playing games usually during loading screens or areas with high FPS my GTX 1080 will whine. It's not very loud, similar to a very distant mosquito or a distant electric fence. I have a bit of the good ol' OCD, so now that I've heard it it's going to be a constant annoying thing to me until it's fixed. :(

I thought I might be hearing it because of the open backs, but I think the whine is actually coming through my headphones too, extremely annoying. Besides limiting FPS, is there another way to fix it? Cheers.

Just now, ShadyOrb09 said:

Hello, just recently got a pair of HD598s and because they're open back and my old ones were closed I guess I never realized when playing games usually during loading screens or areas with high FPS my GTX 1080 will whine. It's not very loud, similar to a very distant mosquito or a distant electric fence. I have a bit of the good ol' OCD, so now that I've heard it it's going to be a constant annoying thing to me until it's fixed. :(

I thought I might be hearing it because of the open backs, but I think the whine is actually coming through my headphones too, extremely annoying. Besides limiting FPS, is there another way to fix it? Cheers.

There isn't a real fix for coil whine it's really a luck of the draw and sometimes has to do with the combination of that one specific card and PSU which could cause it to occur. 

Just now, W-L said:

There isn't a real fix for coil whine it's really a luck of the draw and sometimes has to do with the combination of that one specific card and PSU which could cause it to occur. 

Damn, alright. Not too big of a deal as it only happens when I hit like 600-1000+ FPS, but still something that is going to bother me. Possibly stupid question, but is there a way to tell if a PSU would cause coil whine or not?

Just now, Himommies said:

You have to RMA

Why should he have to RMA? All Cards with high wattages will have some coil Whine?

Just now, Himommies said:

You have to RMA

I bought the card on release, I think it's a bit too late to RMA now lol. Besides it's not constant, only at high fps.

Damn, alright. Not too big of a deal as it only happens when I hit like 600-1000+ FPS, but still something that is going to bother me. Possibly stupid question, but is there a way to tell if a PSU would cause coil whine or not?

There is no way to tell you could get the same model of PSU and not have it occur which is why it's very random. If your running that high of an FPS though there is your problem cap it at your max refresh rate, that will stop it from causing so much whine. 

Only if you could try with a another psu. Also I wonder  what specific card do you have? Some of curiosity ;)

Just now, Frode said:

Only if you could try with a another psu. Also I wonder  what specific card do you have? Some of curiosity ;)

Asus GTX 1080 Strix :)

I had 2 cards whine when new, but went away after a while!, just live with it, as it isn't causing any performance/reliability issues!

Asus GTX 1080 Strix :)

Ohh nice choice´. Probably since it is a hungrier card than the reference 1080, there will be more coil whine, since there is a much bigger power headroom. Some Card manufactures advertise "reduced coil Whine" dont know if ASUS is one of them.

Just now, Frode said:

Ohh nice choice´. Probably since it is a hungrier card than the reference 1080, there will be more coil whine, since there is a much bigger power headroom. Some Card manufactures advertise "reduced coil Whine" dont know if ASUS is one of them.

Interesting, never knew it there was companies advertising reduced coil whine. Not that it's a big deal, but I'll look out for it next time. :)

Just now, jarmenti said:

I had 2 cards whine when new, but went away after a while!, just live with it, as it isn't causing any performance/reliability issues!

Yeah, he could try some real burn in test. But since he  has been using them since release, that should be enough of time to burn in the card.

1 minute ago, jarmenti said:

Hopefully it'll go away, that'd be nice. I'll have to learn to tune it out or live with it.

Interesting, never knew it there was companies advertising reduced coil whine. Not that it's a big deal, but I'll look out for it next time. :)

Some AMD RX 480 cards had extreme coil whine, espacially the sapphire one (know cause I haver tested it). The XFX GTR 480 had advertied reduced coil whine with some pads of some sort. Should be on their site somewhere.

23 minutes ago, ShadyOrb09 said:

Hopefully it'll go away, that'd be nice. I'll have to learn to tune it out or live with it.

It should go away eventually. I just folded to get rid of mine. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

It should go away eventually. I just folded to get rid of mine. 

Folded?

12 hours ago, ShadyOrb09 said:

Folded?

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

i have good experience with multi rail psu in terms of reducing the coil whining on some card. Almost any singelrail PSU which i used/using increased the coil whining in comparison to a good multi rail.