CMOS clearing everytime I turn off and on my PC.

Hello guys,

I've finished building my PC yesterday, here are the specs:

MOBO: MSi B350M Mortar

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @3000MHz

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 (Stock for now)

GPU: Zotac GTX 970 AMP! Omega Core

PSU: Corsair CX650W (the black label one)

SSD: Kingston A400 120GB

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

CASE: NZXT S340

I installled Windows and everything went fine, I could only get my RAM running at 2667MHz but that's ok. I'm having a pretty annoying problem now. 

I turned off my PC yesterday at night, as I usually do. PSU off, power strip off and off the wall. I turned my PC back on today to find this message:

"Devices Changed (CPU or Memory) or CMOS have been Cleared. Please enter Setup to configure your system."

I can boot just fine if I go with default settings or if I set my RAM back to 2667, but everytime I turn off my PC this happens.

BIOS is on the latest version.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

IMG_20170822_100940.jpg

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

You can try and replace the CR battery for you BIOS. It might be dead on arrival.

Other then that make sure nothing is plugged into the BIOS reset pins

your CMOS battery may be dead, try replacing that. Also, not much point unplugging the PC from the wall everynight, when shutdown your PC will use a pretty negligible amount of power.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

just never turn your pc off 

My Personal Computer

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz (OC 3.8) 6-Core Processor

Cpu cooler DEEPCOOL Gamer Storm CAPTAIN 240EX WHITE 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ARCTIC ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz RAM 8x3

Storage: SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III

Storage:SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 500GB SATA III
Video Card: RTX 2060
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: EVGA 550 B3 550W

Peripherals

Monitor: Acer XF240H 24" TN Free-Sync ,144 Hz 

Keyboard: Corsair k95 RGB platinum

Mouse: Razer basilisk

Headset: Hyperx cloud alpha pro

12 minutes ago, Nup said:

is the battery dead?

12 minutes ago, Dujith said:

You can try and replace the CR battery for you BIOS. It might be dead on arrival.

Other then that make sure nothing is plugged into the BIOS reset pins

12 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

your CMOS battery may be dead, try replacing that. Also, not much point unplugging the PC from the wall everynight, when shutdown your PC will use a pretty negligible amount of power.

I'll have to find another battery to try out. I'll come back to you guys if that's the problem.

I shutdown my PC at night because the power here is pretty unstable. My brother lost his GPU and monitor letting his PC plugged during the night, the next day it was not turning on and when he opened it, it was toasted.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black | 16GB DDR4 @ 3000 MHz | Asus PA329CV, Dell U2718Q and LG 65CX | Xduoo XD05 Basic | Sennheiser HD660s, beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Moondrop Kato and Sony WH-1000XM3 | Wacom Intuos Pro M | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | Logitech G915 TKL | 2018 iPad Pro 12.9 + Pencil

1 minute ago, VSTOLL said:

*snip

I shutdown my PC at night because the power here is pretty unstable. My brother lost his GPU and monitor letting his PC plugged during the night, the next day it was not turning on and when he opened it, it was toasted.

Is your power generated by a hamster wheel? Seems odd that it would be so out of whack. Have you checked your house wiring for obvious faults? Power from the wall that unstable would make me awfully leery.

Check bios to see if there's anything like "clear cmos on reboot" enabled. Also, as others have said, check the battery.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

9 minutes ago, tarmacd said:

Is your power generated by a hamster wheel? Seems odd that it would be so out of whack. Have you checked your house wiring for obvious faults? Power from the wall that unstable would make me awfully leery.

There are many countries where power is not that stable. Remote areas there are subject to some weird power outages and spikes.

IIRC MSI was the one that had big problems with some of their boards right? can't remember the actual problem right now... but once you change to BIOS battery, we should know if that was the problem or not. It could also be the RAM, the motherboard checks the ram at POST and if not set correctly/too high it resets the CMOS.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

35 minutes ago, tarmacd said:

Nope, I just live in Brazil. Power is transfered by liana vines. It's so bizarre here that grounding is a rare feature to have in your house.

-----------------------------------

By the way guys, it was the battery, I didn't even imagined, the MOBO is brand new and the battery is shiny. I changed it with the battery from my bathroom scale and the PC booted just fine and the scale didn't even worked.