Which would you honestly choose

BluJay614

On a more limited budget for a monitor, Which would you choose:  

5 members have voted

1. 1. With a 1080ti, for gaming, video watching, and productivity(IPS IS A MUST)

• 4K 60Hz No Variable refesh rate
    • 1440p w/Freesync or no variable refresh rate
    • Cheapest 1440p high refresh rate monitor, like the AOC AC271QG

So, looking at using a 1080ti in my personal rig, and the budget is a bit tighter when it comes to the monitor. I plan to game, stream, and get into content creation while still enjoying videos and youtube. IPS is (more or less) a must for me. I understand that screen tearing is a reality, and I'd rather avoid it. I'd also rather avoid lag, as I do play some FPS along with MMO, RPG, simulator, and sandbox/open world style games(I like variety).

I would appreciate any input along with an explanation for your choice. PLEASE KEEP THINGS CIVIL!!!

2 minutes ago, Cajmo said:

For sandbox games the 4K will be nice, but for FPS you want a higher refresh rate. Either get https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/c298TW/asus-monitor-mg279q or https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/jHGj4D,FKfmP6,MRvZxr/

Okay, so 1440p 144Hz with Freesync, or 1080p Ultrawide at 75Hz with Freesync? I should also note that I am in the US

4 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Why?

If im not going to play competitive fps games, the 4k would prolly be better for content creation and watching 4k videos. But if im gonna play games like csgo all of the time then id want the higher refresh rates.

5 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Okay, so 1440p 144Hz with Freesync, or 1080p Ultrawide at 75Hz with Freesync? I should also note that I am in the US

FreeSync doesnt work with nvidia GPU's. You'll need G-Sync if you want that adaptive refresh rate technology.(Just an FYI in case you werent aware)

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

1440p ultrawide m8.  Best productivity, IPS and decent (75hz is standard) refresh rate.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

Just now, TVwazhere said:

FreeSync doesnt work with nvidia GPU's. You'll need G-Sync if you want that adaptive refresh rate technology.(Just an FYI in case you werent aware)

I understand that, HOWEVER, the links that @Cajmo provided where to a 1440p 144Hz FreeSync monitor, and a comparison between three 1080p ultrawide 75Hz monitors(two of which had FreeSync). So, I was trying to clarify their standpoint.

Just now, BluJay614 said:

Absolutely!  UW is great for gaming and it wins hands down for productivity. @Princess Cadence can back me up here, very worthwhile.

I am aware I was working to a £500 budget because no budget was stated, so I just did it in my currency

I dislike simultaneous releases

Just now, BluJay614 said:

?

i meant everything has low input lag should be good

under 11

@Damascus That does look like a great price-benefit screen, I particularly love ultrawide monitors and I really got interested on this one, looks like a more accessible x34, it has every thing actual needed, great IPS matte screen and all... I'm fairly sure you can overclock it a couple of extra hertz too, around 85hz on nVidia's FAST SYNC and you have probably the best gaming experience you could ask for.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Necrodor21 said:

i meant everything has low input lag should be good

under 11

Ok, I've been shooting for less then 7

3 minutes ago, Cajmo said:

I am aware I was working to a £500 budget because no budget was stated, so I just did it in my currency

My appologies, ~$650USD would be the very top of my budget.

My appologies, ~$650USD would be the very top of my budget.

Definitely the ultrawide then.

5 minutes ago, Damascus said:

Definitely the ultrawide then.

Ok, so you say 1440p ultrawide 75Hz, no adaptive refresh rate technology

@Damascus Well, at least over something like https://pcpartpicker.com/product/scM323/aoc-ag271qg-270-165hz-monitor-ag271qg which isn't ultrawide, but is 165Hz, 1440p, G-Sync, and IPS, though does hit the very top of the budget

I would still get the ultrawide.

Just now, Damascus said:

I would still get the ultrawide.

Okay. My concern at that point would be if there would be screen tearing from the 1080ti running faster then the 75Hz the Ultrawide could put out, or having lag caused by V-Sync

9 minutes ago, BluJay614 said:

Okay. My concern at that point would be if there would be screen tearing from the 1080ti running faster then the 75Hz the Ultrawide could put out, or having lag caused by V-Sync

Have you ever tried fast vsync?  Also 1440 × 3540 is pretty tough to run and I wouldn't worry too much.

Just now, Damascus said:

Have you ever tried fast vsync?  Also 1440 × 3540 is pretty tough to run and I wouldn't worry too much.

I can't say I have. If nothing else, I could always just crank the settings