Should I upgrade my R9 290 to a GTX 1070 now or wait for Vega 56?

Pico

I have a 3 years old Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC. I was waiting for AMD Vega GPUs, but now I don't know if I should still wait to buy a Vega 56 or buy a GTX 1070 now.

My wish was to buy a custom air cooled Vega 56, but I don't know when it will become available. Also one problem is I'm from Brazil, when (and if) Vega 56 becomes available here, the prices will be probably inflated. It could take a few months to know if Vega 56 will be available at least at same price of a GTX 1070 here.

The average price of a GTX 1070 of a good brand (EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte or MSI) in Brazil now is in between 630 and 700 USD. I've found one Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming for 600 USD and I'm thinking of buying it.

What should I do? Wait until the end of year to decide to buy a Vega 56 or buy the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming now?

vega is trash. go with the GTX 1070.

Cheaper, More power efficient, and barely worse in performance.

if you didn't know, vega 56 went up in price $100, so it's now in the same price ballpark as the GTX 1080

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

To be completely honest I'm not sure I would think of upgrading from a r9 290 to a gtx 1070. I mean the difference in performance doesn't seem worth 600 USD to me.

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

if you didn't know, vega 56 went up in price $100, so it's now in the same price ballpark as the GTX 1080

So he could basically buy a 1080 if he had the cash 

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Vega 56 did too? I thought that was just Vega 64? And yea I agree (sadly)

1 minute ago, SHOOK_Linus said:

So he could basically buy a 1080 if he had the cash 

Yeap

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

Just now, Abyss Gaming said:

Vega 56 did too? I thought that was just Vega 64? And yea I agree (sadly)

I was under the impression that it did. not 100% sure about that one though.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

To be completely honest I'm not sure I would think of upgrading from a r9 290 to a gtx 1070. I mean the difference in performance doesn't seem worth 600 USD to me.

I will sell my R9 290, I think I can get at least 200 USD for it (in Brazil). But expecting to sell at 250 USD.

Just now, Pico said:

I will sell my R9 290, I think I can get at least 200 USD for it (in Brazil). But expecting to sell at 250 USD.

I mean I guess. I just thought that it may be better to wait till next gen to upgrade because the r9 290 still has pretty good performance. 

As it's been said: Given the prices is more Vega 56 vs 1080.

Just get a 1070 or 1080 depending on your budget: I know it can get crazy in Brazil with import tax so whatever works but no waiting for Vega 56 to come down on price is not worth it since AMD is refusing to say so it might be well over 6 months before it comes down on price.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would try and get a 1080 or wait for Volta/NAVI as the 290 is still a solid performer.

Want to custom loop?  Ask me more if you are curious

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I would try and get a 1080 or wait for Volta/NAVI as the 290 is still a solid performer.

Wait until 2035. The Nvidia 90 series will probably be pretty good.

Desktop:

Laptop:

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Wait until 2035. The Nvidia 90 series will probably be pretty good.

I know the meme but spending between 350 - 400 usd (deducting the 290 sale price) seems unnecessary.  Even if you don't wait for next gen you can probably snag a 1080 or even 1080 ti second hand if you wait with eyes open.

OP, what res and/or games are you havimg trouble with?

1 minute ago, Damascus said:

I know the meme but spending between 350 - 400 usd (deducting the 190 sale price) seems unnecessary.  Even if you don't wait for next gen you can probably snag a 1080 or even 1080 ti second hand if you wait with eyes open.

OP, what res and/or games are you havimg trouble with?

next gen is coming in like, 8 months.

that's nearly a year!

no need to wait that long.

think of the people who waited for vega, figured out it was a shitstorm, and got a 1070 now.

they could've had the same card almost a year ago, enjoyed higher performance for almost a year, etc.

not to mention now it costs more, but that couldn't be predicted.

Desktop:

Laptop:

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

next gen is coming in like, 8 months.

that's nearly a year!

no need to wait that long.

My point stands, does OP need the extra performance?  On a 1080p screen it would be a waste of money.

1070 is an awesome card. 

Not 600U$S awesome for sure. But, 290 is a mining beast so maybe you can get a nice deal. 

With the money you can make back on your older GPU, your new GPU price is about equal to launch price of the previous GPU.

#Not-All-Cases

#Worked4Me

I had a chunk of change..Saved already, but not enough to 'get me there yet'
$400 AUD,

I sold my GTX970 (G1 Gaming 1380MhzBoost) which I ran with a small overclock at an even 1400Mhz all the time gaming,.. for $280, I already had $20 laying around so I just added that to the pile.

Sweet, $700, I knew I wasn't going all out on a GPU (1080) but the GTX1070 (Galax ExOC Aftermarket) versions had nice gains, I'm not disappointed, I ended up paying around $585AUD for that,..call that $300 all said and done minus the GTX970, $300 which is less than I got my GTX970 for originally... so that's a win for me,.. more performance, similar power (180w) when loaded.
I run mine with 2100Mhz Core clocks (Goes down to 2050Mhz) and 4666Mhz (Micron) Memory over 4000Mhz stock.
160-200w Ranges usually, 170-180w avg.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I'd probably just go with a 1070 now. 

Edit: Actually check 1080 pricing. They're usually only about 10% more money, but they perform about 25% better. Not sure how it is in Brazil - just something to think about. 

8 hours ago, RadiatingLight said:

Um how could Vega 56 go up in price when it's not even released yet? It's not out until the 28th.

Vega may not beat a 1080Ti, but it's not trash. Power consumption is always an AMD Achilles heal. Since he is with a 290 setup, I don't think power consumption will be an issue as it will be less than a 290 using a Vega 56. 

Back to Pico's question

So if you want to stay with an AMD eco system, the Vega 56 is a good buy as long as prices don't spike like they did with the Vega 64. And my advice is to jump on it on day one of release if you can before prices may spike. Limited stock and miners cleaning up stock is the issue lately. I know you want to get a third party cooler edition, but the fan on my Vega 64 isn't that bad. No where near a jet sound when I game compared to the 290 OEM fan. Sounds like you are willing to wait for an aftermarket cooler. If you are running in 1080p, the 290 is still a good gaming card that can tide you over. Although if mining is a big craze where you are, you probably can get the best selling price for your 290 at the moment. Well a month ago it went through the roof for used 290's.

Remember, Vega 56 just came out with beta drivers that don't show the complete performance of the GPU. Nvidia's already ringed out the best performance of the 1070 since its one year old and Nvidia usually has the best driver performance from the get go. AMD improves over time hense the fine wine tag line. So even though 1070 is just barely worse in performance, where is it going to stand in 6 months? Plus Vega has tech that hasn't been explored yet. 

As for price, Nvidia will be jumping in cost as well since GDDR memory is going up in price as well. I already noticed the rise in cost of the 1080ti since I was debating a Vega64 or going back to Nvidia. So either mining or rising parts for cards is not good for either a Nvidia and AMD consumer.

So the answer to your question is just get either card that will make you happy if you have no desire to stay in a particular manufacture eco system. No choice is a bad one as it's your money and decision. Just remember you still own a capable card if you are running in 1080p. And since you've owned the card for 3 years, Vega could possibly have that longevity as well. Either card you decide however, If you are indeed running in 1080p, you might want to considrer upgrading to a 1440p to stretch these newer cards legs. Freesync for AMD or GSync for Nvidia is a good option as well.

9 hours ago, Pico said:

I have a 3 years old Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC. I was waiting for AMD Vega GPUs, but now I don't know if I should still wait to buy a Vega 56 or buy a GTX 1070 now.

My wish was to buy a custom air cooled Vega 56, but I don't know when it will become available. Also one problem is I'm from Brazil, when (and if) Vega 56 becomes available here, the prices will be probably inflated. It could take a few months to know if Vega 56 will be available at least at same price of a GTX 1070 here.

The average price of a GTX 1070 of a good brand (EVGA, Asus, Gigabyte or MSI) in Brazil now is in between 630 and 700 USD. I've found one Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming for 600 USD and I'm thinking of buying it.

What should I do? Wait until the end of year to decide to buy a Vega 56 or buy the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming now?

If you have a freesync monitor you might wanna get Vega of not then just get a 1070

PC Specs:

CPU: i9 10850k

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z490-A

Ram: 32GB DDR4 4000MHz

GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10G 

Case: Cooler Master: MasterCase H500P

Storage: 4TB NVME SSD, 8TB HDD, 500gb SSD

PSU: Corsair AX1600i

Monitor: ACER X34P 34" and LG 34" 34UC88-B Curved LED Monitor (stacked)

CPU Cooler: Cougar Helor 360

Peripherals:

Keyboard: CORSAIR K95 RGB PLATINUM

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate

Speakers: Sound BlasterX Katana V2

Operating System:

Windows 11 (64 Bit)

if you get a 1070 cheap, then go for it. mining blown the price sky high over msrp (379$) and kept 1080/ti at a high level as well.
and still people complain over amd pricing (yes i know the 4xx-5xx)

if you can wait 8days you might catch a vega 56 at launch msrp 399$ (+tax outside us) its a good deal.