VA vs TN vs IPS

shift8

So I have used several TN and IPS panels but not any VA. I dont care much about the horizontal viewing angle of TN, but I cannot stand the top to bottom color shift, which colors having a darker shade at the top of the screen and a lighter shade at the bottom. But I also dont like the ips glow of ips panels, with at least one corner always having a washed out sheen in dark section. 

So my question on VA panels is the following. I dont care about the horizontal viewing angle, but will there still be color shade shift from top to bottom? Aside from this, how do them compare to IPS panels for color reproduction and IPS glow. Especially if the VA panel was QLED. 

Essentially I want a display with no color shift from top to bottom, but with IPS color quality and no IPS glow. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Ive seen that before, it doesnt quite tell me what I want to know. Thanks though

VA is a wanabe ips panel with the refresh rate of a tn. Its colors arent that good and its blacks are usually crap. IPS is still probably better. Not every ips panel has ips glow.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

I have owned 4 different IPS panels so far, made by different companies. I have not seen one yet that did not have IPS glow. Two 1440p panels, a ultrawide, and a 4k. How do I get one without it? 

VA doesn't suffer from those color shifts and has higher contrast compared to TN and even IPS (or some IPS panels) ... but may have slightly worse color reproduction compared to IPS (but still way better than TN)

From what I read, VA doesn't have that IPS glow or is less pronounced but how pronounced it is will probably vary from panel to panel.

Also note that there's some hybrids between VA and IPS like AHVA and Samsung's PLS (though they claim it's more like a variation of IPS)

Here's a though... why don't you go to a place like wallmart or some other big retail store to see monitors in person and see out of the VA panels out there, which exhibits that glow?

I admit I had no personal experience with VA panels, I only worked with TN and IPS panels and my two "workhorse" monitors are 24" TN panels (planning to replace them with a single 40-42" 4K monitor) .

ps. This article is quite good at explaining the pros and cons of each technology : http://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1890-panel-comparison-tn-ips-pls-va-crt