I9 7960X benchmarks released on LN2

Lays
47 minutes ago, jasonc_01 said:

I don't see how a 7960x is on the "bleeding edge" of anything. Skylake x is not a magical unicorn processor that is a revelation to computing, not by a long shot. Whereas threadripper is a revelation in terms of price disruption. 

The performance increases is pretty in line with where ryzen is against Broadwell E.  

I agree. 

Ryzen is a major revelation in several aspects, mostly due to CCX design:

1) Yields, easy to manufacture, leads into->

2) Cost, relatively cheap, high margins still lower cost for consumer

3) Scalability, more cores neither mean less clock speed nor less efficiency, nor worse temps

4) Power consumption, efficiency, temperature

And they achieve all of the above on an objectively worse process node than Intel. That puts the whole thing on another level. It really speaks for how good the design is in these aspects. Now they need to focus on Single core performance with some kind of next level XFR so they can achieve something similar to what Intel have done with Skylake-X and their Single core Turbo. Which admittedly is one of the things Intel have done right with this architecture, although the process enabling higher frequencies is a big part in that.

Imagine if both Intel and AMD would both source their chips from TSMC for example... Oh boy.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

I agree. 

3) Scalability, more cores neither mean less clock speed nor less efficiency, nor worse temps

And they achieve all of the above on an objectively worse process node than Intel has. That puts the whole thing on another level. It really speak for how good the design is in these aspects. Now they need to focus on Single core performance with some kind of next level XFR so they can achieve something similar to what Intel have done with Skylake-X and their Single core Turbo. Which admittedly is one of the things Intel have done right with this architecture, although the process enabling higher frequencies is a big part in that.

Imagine if both Intel and AMD would both source their chips from TSMC for example... Oh boy.

I think what everyone continues to miss is that making the single core performance better is the expensive part.  Stronger cores are harder to make than more cores.  

Be careful what you ask for as you may see those great savings disappear.  

2 minutes ago, Vode said:

I agree. 

And they achieve all of the above on an objectively worse process node than Intel. That puts the whole thing on another level. It really speaks for how good the design is in these aspects. Now they need to focus on Single core performance with some kind of next level XFR so they can achieve something similar to what Intel have done with Skylake-X and their Single core Turbo. Which admittedly is one of the things Intel have done right with this architecture, although the process enabling higher frequencies is a big part in that.

It is nice it is a great foundation. we could see a 5-10% clock improvement when zen+ lands, and then another 5-10% IPC + 5-10% clock bump when zen2 lands. which by then the single core performance gap should shrink even more.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

It is nice it is a great foundation. we could see a 5-10% clock improvement when zen+ lands, and then another 5-10% IPC + 5-10% clock bump when zen2 lands. which by then the single core performance gap should shrink even more.

The shrink would of course require that Intel didn't improve IPC either.  5 to 10% increases could and should be expected from both.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

I think what everyone continues to miss is that making the single core performance better is the expensive part.  Stronger cores are harder to make than more cores.  

Well it depends how you look at it. 

From a RND maybe ST performance needs more research and development, but from a manufacturing standpoint more cores mean bigger dies which translates into worse yields, higher cost for the manufacturer and less margin.

This is one aspect Ryzen almost completely negated with the CCX design. 

Factoring in how much semiconductor companies have to invest in manufacturing dies and how much money they make with selling chips it certainly can't be much less significant than the RND for ST performance.

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

What I find funny is the power consumption argument. I see many people hoping Zen 2 raises clock speeds, yet in order for Zen to get near parity with Intel, you're looking at 4.5+ clock speed. By doing that, the AMD fanboy argument of power consumption goes completely out the window. It always gives me a good chuckle to see that mentioned.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Man this just gets me even more excited since these 10-15% in ST performance will almost 100% scale with well optimised MT workloads! No throttling, no bad temps, power consumption that scales in an almost linear fashion. 

How can people not get excited behind the technology behind Ryzen as a whole? LOL :P

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The shrink would of course require that Intel didn't improve IPC either.  5 to 10% increases could and should be expected from both.

I thought Intel improvements has been more around 4% IPC in the past few generations. 

I expect AMD to have bigger improvements, but not to the point we're they pass Intel.

Just now, VagabondWraith said:

What I find funny is the power consumption argument. I see many people hoping Zen 2 raises clock speeds, yet in order for Zen to get near parity with Intel, you're looking at 4.5+ clock speed. By doing that, the AMD fanboy argument of power consumption goes completely out the window. It always gives me a good chuckle to see that mentioned.

Speaking from a purely performance standpoint, Intel will remain the strongest processor core for core and clock for clock for some time to come.  It will also remain the more expensive option.  That's just how shit works. 

I don't see any real problem with people hoping that AMD does better as I want it to happen myself.  The only problem I have is when we start theorizing what could happen in the future or just flat out exaggerating the current.  Leave that shit for the future and the real experts. 

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I thought Intel improvements has been more around 4% IPC in the past few generations. 

I expect AMD to have bigger improvements, but not to the point we're they pass Intel.

How do you seriously expect it when you have absolutely no track record of their improvements to go on?  How long did it take them to simply catch up?

There is absolutely no indication that their IPC improvements will ramp at any rate better or worse than Intel so you are purely speculating at best.  

15 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

AMD wouldn't do that. We'd see Zen+ at the same 95W TDP. Just don't expect 4.5Ghz. More like 4.2Ghz and maybe 4.4Ghz on 7nm. 

People are getting excited about core amount vs. power consumption in HEDT, where Ryzen smokes anything Intel currently has because it scales so well. The 1800X compares to the 7700k which has half the cores, it's ridiculous. And the 7700ks efficiency goes out the window as well when overclocking. Intel can achieve higher clock speeds before the efficiency takes a dive, currently about 600Mhz+. 

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, Vode said:

AMD wouldn't do that. We'd see Zen+ at the same 95W TDP. Just don't expect 4.5Ghz. More like 4.2Ghz and maybe 4.4Ghz on 7nm. 

People are getting excited about core amount vs. power consumption in HEDT, where Ryzen smokes anything Intel currently has because it scales so well. The 1800X compared to the 7700k which has half the cores, it's ridiculous. And the 7700ks efficiency goes out the window as well when overclocking. Intel can achieve higher clock speeds before the efficiency takes a dive, currently about 500Mhz+. 

Your ability to know what AMD and Zen+ can and will do is impressive.  

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Thanks bro. ;)

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

IBM is going to have a 5.5 ghz, 24 core, 8 way multithreaded CPU that's overclockable and will kick Intel and AMD out.

hardly..

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

IBM is going to have a 5.5 ghz, 24 core, 8 way multithreaded CPU that's overclockable and will kick Intel and AMD out.

hardly..

This is LTT bud. You can make up whatever you want here. :)

16 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

How do you seriously expect it when you have absolutely no track record of their improvements to go on?  How long did it take them to simply catch up?

There is absolutely no indication that their IPC improvements will ramp at any rate better or worse than Intel so you are purely speculating at best.  

Ya it is mostly speculation.

The catch up was to abandoning the existing designs and start over.

I just figure AMD has more room to grow then Intel IPC wise which in turn usually would make it easier in the beginning.

Also I figure the move to more cores on Intel side would also allow AMD to catch up in single threaded performance.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

This is LTT bud. You can make up whatever you want here. :)

Hey if IBM wants to make a hop back in the consumer PC space (hell, even the just the prosumer/high-end enthusiast) I would be more than ok with it. 

2 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Hey if IBM wants to make a hop back in the consumer PC space (hell, even the just the prosumer/high-end enthusiast) I would be more than ok with it. 

I think Qualcoom is more likely than IBM by nowadays.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

lol what does IBM even do these days? Looking at their website trying to figure out what half of the stuff even means. :D

AMD R9 Fury X

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Logitech K830

Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Vode said:

lol what does IBM even do these days? Looking at their website trying to figure out what half of the stuff even means. :D

IBM Watson, they are investing hardcore on self learning bots and all aside of course mainframes as always.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Vode said:

Well they have power 9 out right now that is highly scalable both up and out. If you are in the database industry IBM is a pretty large deal, especially since they are the only one still making big iron. I deal with both POWER and x86 almost daily and I prefer dealing with power when it comes highly scalable workloads. Also the ease of use with NVlink and being the first ones with a release of PCIe 4.0 is a little significant.