xXBlackIceXx
1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Wow, for a 15 year old you are doing something right. They should have talked to you when LTT made those "Laptop or Bust" videos.

I think their just nervous. My 18 YEAR OLD SISTER  just made her first 400$..... working for her boyfriends parents ?

1 hour ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

Anyone wanna rob a bank with me?

I can just imagine the questioning after you get caught

"so, why did you do it?  Trying to get rich quick, or just out of options?"
"oh, no, I have lots of money, my parents just won't let me spend it.  Funny story, it's actually stored in this very bank!"

xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

There's so many of this "my parents do not let me X" threads on the forums it makes me feel 90 years old. If you're an old fart like me, also a bad idea to look at the crowd pictures from the meeting closely.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Haha, it's not so bad. Your build was a little on the expensive side anyway. Keep working at them, this late in the year I'd usually advise you wait until Boxing Day to build anyway. You'll save many hundreds of dollars.

16 hours ago, rn8686 said:

Status update? Also why not just try talking to them about it? It is important to save, but no point in having money if you cant use it. Also depending how old you are you may be able to access anyway depending where you live, here when you are 14 you can legally take over your account.

It's one thing to "legally take it over", it's quite another to disobey one's parents while living under the same roof.

16 hours ago, TheBeastPC said:

I dont think it's fair for you because you have saved all that money all by yourself to buy the thing that you have always wanted and then your parents force you to put that money in your savings account. I suppose than again saving is important for the long term. RIP. 

That's one of the things kids don't understand. It's a parents job to guide you and show you things that you might not otherwise learn. This is one of those lessons. Though some are doomed to always be idiots with their money, and they'll be doomed to struggle through life as a result.

15 hours ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

Coffe lake, i may be 15 and never had a PC in my life, but ive definitely heard of ryzen. Yes need to appolagise

....Apologize* :ph34r:

5 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

There are multiple things:
-snip-

The point is, if your family is very wealthy, maybe they'll pay for all of that stuff - but if they do, you won't learn the respect and value of money.

For most people, their parents won't (can't afford to) pay for those things.

I would talk to your mother. Have a nice, calm, adult conversation with her. Don't get mad, yell, raise your voice, or get upset. Be calm, and rational. Offer a compromise. How much would she like you to spend, so that you can also still buy and build a PC? Offer to buy cheaper parts (Eg: drop that 1080 TI for your first ever build, replace it with an AMD RX 580 or a GTX 1070. Replace the 500GB SSD with a smaller SSD. Replace the 3TB HDD with a 2TB HDD).

My next question is: How did you save up this money? Was it predominantly money that your parents gave you? Or did you earn it via a paid job?

I've dated a few girls who had no idea what a dollar was worth, but they also come from entirely different worlds. Something you also have to consider. They might not know the value of a dollar to someone considerably less well off...but they don't really need to.

I also know people that had everything bought for them and they absolutely understand the value of a dollar. It really comes down to the individual.

Totally agree with your suggestion though.

4 hours ago, JayKay3000 said:

But the kids an idiot. His parents are putting his money into a savings account to teach him a future life lesson that's lost on him now. Doing it in the hopes that when he does get a job he doesn't blow his first pay on something material and having nothing left to pay bills. When he grows up he'll realize that he have just made a bunch of money that week or month and it would be nice to spend it on a holiday or something fun, but in the end he's got to pay for your living expenses and other things that are more boring than just spending the whole lot on something fun or putting that money towards a house because maybe this kid will be raising a family and the last thing on his mind will be what epic pc he can build.

But all this is lost on him now and in 10 years time he'll have forgotten he wrote his complaint and laugh at his young self if it still exists on the Internet.

There's no reason to be a dick. Frankly, I think the first paycheck of any job should be blown on something material in celebration. He's 15. He likely has no bills. You're making it seem like him buying something now will result in that behavior for the rest of his life. I mean, I get what his parents are trying to do, but at the same time if he saves even more then he should be entitled to spend some the way he wants.

You know what's ridiculous? You're talking about how a 15 year old needs to worry about house payments and raising a family. That's the last thing a 15 year old should worry about.

4 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

Know what's awesome?  Being an adult! :D  I can stay up all night playing video games and then fry up an entire pound of bacon just because I decide to!

Can confirm.

I once went around and bought 15 packs of maple bacon to see which one was best. Winner was the twin pack from Costco. Thick, but not too thick, smokey flavor and not too sweet. You're welcome. xD

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

As a fellow bacon lover, if you haven't tried this yet, it's amazing:

Get a large baking sheet, line w/ tin foil. Take an oven safe wire cooling/baking rack (Like where you let cookies cool), place on top of baking sheet. Place bacon in a single layer on the rack (you can have them touching, just don't overlap), and bake at like, 350F for around 15-25 minutes.

I did this with CostCo extra thick sliced maple bacon, and damn it was so good. You can cook an entire pound at a time, whereas frying bacon takes forever (Unless you're like my dad, who takes a frozen package, puts the entire thing in the frying pan, and adds some water, and puts a lid on... don't be like my dad).

Can also confirm this is the best way to make bacon. You also found the best kind, I believe. Was it the one that comes in a twin pack? Also who the fuck freezes bacon?! Blasphemy.

3 hours ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

A general rule that I have when I am about to spend a good bit of money is if I can afford to buy two of said item. It not only insures me that I am able to buy it again in case it fails, but it also gives me some leeway for other expenses. Just my two cents on the matter. (Hehe, money pun.)

Note: This does not apply for bigger purchases like rent, car payment and mortagage.

Don't trust in warranties? I'd almost say it's much more important to have multiple mortgage/rent/car payments in the bank before going down those paths. ;) I think it's generally recommended to have 6 months of each saved.

3 hours ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

Damn lucky. Im not even an adult yet and i already have to do one of those. Everyday i have to cook for my family...

Consider that a blessing. Seems horrible now, but it'll pay back later in life. There's nothing sexier to a woman than a man that can cook. Except perhaps Ryan Gosling/Reynolds.

2 hours ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

Holy shit your build is dope. But i made about 4 grand in 2 months and they put it in savings ill make about the same for tge next 3 years so ill have about 12 grand. By then my wages will be higher and ill probably be making 5-6 grand per month. If i take 1 year to think about college/work. 48 Grand going into college. I think thats plenty - the 24 grand for college would be  24 grand. Or if i got a scholarship you get what im saying

6k per month? After taxes? What magical job do you plan to have at the age of 20 that gives you that kind of income?

Student loans my friend. Basically borrowing "free" money, the interest rates are stupid low on them. Just make sure you pick something viable to go into.

2 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Why thank you, I actually sold it today to someone I know from work just today to make funds for a new one ^^

Any ways, I do understand how it feels, when I got my first job I just wasted all the money and even so it made no difference in my life really, I think that if you have the means to afford it you should be able to "waste" it so I deeply agree with your view, however I don't think it is worth buying an argue, keep saving until next year at least, when we have Volta and 10nm Intel processors then you'll be able to make a dope build yourself ^^

cheers!

Oooo new built hype?!

I kind of agree with this. When you live at home, it's great to save, but it's also great to spend money since your bills are basically nil. However one has to take into account his parents mindsets, and they might stress over money. *Shrug*

2 hours ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

I think their just nervous. My 18 YEAR OLD SISTER  just made her first 400$..... working for her boyfriends parents ?

No need to laugh, a jobs a job. Money's money, regardless of where it comes from.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Just now, dizmo said:

It's one thing to "legally take it over", it's quite another to disobey one's parents while living under the same roof.

True, though OP would still have a legal right to it and living with them doesnt mean they control you (Especially if underage). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, rn8686 said:

True, though OP would still have a legal right to it and living with them doesnt mean they control you (Especially if underage). 

Uhhh. Yeah, it kind of does. They're responsible for your well being, and as a result have a great deal of say in what you can and can't do. That's kind of how parenting works.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

9 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Speaking for Ontario, Canada, where the OP seems to live, the parents have the legal right to ground their child and basically withdraw all luxuries outside of the minimum standard of the law.

So you're right, legally speaking he has the right to spend his wages as he see's fit. (At least on small items.  He can't buy anything like a house or whatever else would qualify as an 'asset'.) ...Legally speaking his parents can decide that they aren't paying for his internet connection, refuse entry to any ISP to install a new internet connection (Yeah, you have basically zero tenant's rights when you live with your parents), banish all snacks and cancel Christmas indefinitely.

So it's a decision that one should weigh rather carefully.  Especially when the kid is only able to save money to such a degree because they don't pay rent, groceries, communications services, electricity, gas, transportation, or basically have any bills what so ever.

20 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Can confirm.

I once went around and bought 15 packs of maple bacon to see which one was best. Winner was the twin pack from Costco. Thick, but not too thick, smokey flavor and not too sweet. You're welcome. xD

Can also confirm this is the best way to make bacon. You also found the best kind, I believe. Was it the one that comes in a twin pack? Also who the fuck freezes bacon?! Blasphemy.

Yep it was the twin pack - soooo much bacon. I fried the first half - took like 8 rounds on the frying pan.

But the 2nd half I baked, because I had heard about it, but had never tried it before. So glad I did.

Also, freezing bacon isn't a terribly bad thing to do. It's usually almost (or just as) good after you thaw it out.

But my dad... he never thawed it out. He'd literally chuck a pound of still frozen bacon into a frying pan. I had never tasted good bacon (outside of the occasional diner) until I learned how to cook it myself.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

44 minutes ago, dizmo said:

There's no reason to be a dick. Frankly, I think the first paycheck of any job should be blown on something material in celebration. He's 15. He likely has no bills. You're making it seem like him buying something now will result in that behavior for the rest of his life. I mean, I get what his parents are trying to do, but at the same time if he saves even more then he should be entitled to spend some the way he wants.

You know what's ridiculous? You're talking about how a 15 year old needs to worry about house payments and raising a family. That's the last thing a 15 year old should worry about.

This is the best response, also OP's parents are not being fair, his earned money, he can do with it what he wants. Parents are not all-knowing fonts of endless and infallible wisdom, contrary to non-skeptical belief. They are flawed human beings, like everyone else.

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Don't trust in warranties?

I think it's generally recommended to have 6 months of each saved.

It's not that I don't trust warranties, it's that I feel safer knowing that I can buy two of the same item if a reason presents itself.

Yup, that is the adult part of that rule. I just didn't include it since it didn't apply to OP.

52 minutes ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

It's not that I don't trust warranties, it's that I feel safer knowing that I can buy two of the same item if a reason presents itself.

Yup, that is the adult part of that rule. I just didn't include it since it didn't apply to OP.

Fun fact, according to a survey by BankRate.com, less than half of Americans have sufficient savings to cover a surprise $500 expense. D:

...Well, 'fun' if your idea of fun is a sour feeling in your gut when you read something...

14 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Fun fact, according to a survey by BankRate.com, less than half of Americans have sufficient savings to cover a surprise $500 expense. D:

well that's what happens when you make a minimum wage law that gives companies the legal right to pay you well under the standard cost of living.

thank god i live in Australia.

As to the OP.

While it may suck, while you live with your parents you have to live by their rules. it may seem unfair now, but having good saving/spending habits while you're young will greatly help you in the future instead of spending everything you have on wants.

Also what is preventing you from accessing the funds? I work in a Bank and if the funds are in your name (an account where you are the only "Titled" member) you have every legal right to them, your parents cannot restrict you from withdrawing them unless it's a joint account with them requiring two signatures to make withdrawals.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

13 minutes ago, Sierra Fox said:

Also what is preventing you from accessing the funds? I work in a Bank and if the funds are in your name (an account where you are the only "Titled" member) you have every legal right to them, your parents cannot restrict you from withdrawing them unless it's a joint account with them requiring two signatures to make withdrawals.

It'd be a challenge to bring the purchased computer into the home undetected. :P

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It'd be a challenge to bring the purchased computer into the home undetected. :P

Wont get detected if you don't buy the computer

09-roll-safe.w710.h473.jpg

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

I think it would be a good idea for OP to discuss the issue with his parents, and work on coming up with a reasonable percentage of his earnings that he can spend.

Total deprivation of his own money doesn't teach as strong of a lesson as resentment will.

That being said, they're right in helping him to save a good chunk of it. Given that OP's 15, he's going to want to drive soon.

Compare the opportunites opened by a PC and a car....You should probably save every bit you can for that car.

4 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I can just imagine the questioning after you get caught

"so, why did you do it?  Trying to get rich quick, or just out of options?"
"oh, no, I have lots of money, my parents just won't let me spend it.  Funny story, it's actually stored in this very bank!"

xD 

Yessssssss

3 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, it's not so bad. Your build was a little on the expensive side anyway. Keep working at them, this late in the year I'd usually advise you wait until Boxing Day to build anyway. You'll save many hundreds of dollars.

That's one of the things kids don't understand. It's a parents job to guide you and show you things that you might not otherwise learn. This is one of those lessons. Though some are doomed to always be idiots with their money, and they'll be doomed to struggle through life as a result.

....Apologize* :ph34r:

I've dated a few girls who had no idea what a dollar was worth, but they also come from entirely different worlds. Something you also have to consider. They might not know the value of a dollar to someone considerably less well off...but they don't really need to.

I also know people that had everything bought for them and they absolutely understand the value of a dollar. It really comes down to the individual.

Totally agree with your suggestion though.

Can confirm.

Don't trust in warranties? I'd almost say it's much more important to have multiple mortgage/rent/car payments in the bank before going down those paths. ;) I think it's generally recommended to have 6 months of each saved.

Consider that a blessing. Seems horrible now, but it'll pay back later in life. There's nothing sexier to a woman than a man that can cook. Except perhaps Ryan Gosling/Reynolds.

6k per month? After taxes? What magical job do you plan to have at the age of 20 that gives you that kind of income?

Student loans my friend. Basically borrowing "free" money, the interest rates are stupid low on them. Just make sure you pick something viable to go into.

Oooo new built hype?!

I kind of agree with this. When you live at home, it's great to save, but it's also great to spend money since your bills are basically nil. However one has to take into account his parents mindsets, and they might stress over money. *Shrug*

No need to laugh, a jobs a job. Money's money, regardless of where it comes from.

Sorry for the spelling error. And i meant 5-6k every two months at the age of 18. Although. If i do become the soccer player i hope to be i could make 500-600k per year 

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

Especially since my dad is my employers best friend... so the checks go through my dad 

53 minutes ago, LyondellBasell said:

I think it would be a good idea for OP to discuss the issue with his parents, and work on coming up with a reasonable percentage of his earnings that he can spend.

Total deprivation of his own money doesn't teach as strong of a lesson as resentment will.

That being said, they're right in helping him to save a good chunk of it. Given that OP's 15, he's going to want to drive soon.

Compare the opportunites opened by a PC and a car....You should probably save every bit you can for that car.

Already have a truck waiting for me in the driveway.

You should be thanking them.  Most kids think in the present and what they need/want now instead of in the future.  This leads to spending money on things you don't need and when it comes time to start paying bills (i.e. car insurance) you don't have very much because you spent it on stupid shit (excuse my French).

Just now, lilbman said:

You should be thanking them.  Most kids think in the present and what they need/want now instead of in the future.  This leads to spending money on things you don't need and when it comes time to start paying bills (i.e. car insurance) you don't have very much because you spent it on stupid shit (excuse my French).

Nice build. I dont have to worry about bills for another 4 years atleast.

17 minutes ago, xXBlackIceXx said:

Already have a truck waiting for me in the driveway.

Nice! As one of the other posters pointed out a ways up, even if you've got that covered there are still plenty of things to save for. 

Talk to the rents and enjoy being free of responsibilities while you can ha