What for graduation present?

spwath

My parents are getting my a graduation present, but they don't know what to get me.

Me neither.

They said around $100.

Thoughts?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

A gift card to a gaming store or Bestbuy.

$100 is so small though. I was thinking $1000 I know exactly what you need and require.

18 minutes ago, Teejo said:

Yeah i agree a giftcard

Plus a pack of Trojan Condoms, graduation after all.

Jr High is the time.

12 hours ago, spwath said:

My parents are getting my a graduation present, but they don't know what to get me.

Me neither.

They said around $100.

Thoughts?

I would just take the $100

Or ask them to buy a $100 investment (5-year GIC or something) for you, so that in 5 years, you'll have more than $100.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

money, or to invest it in something safe that will make more $ because interest (so you'll have $110 i guess after a decade) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

9 minutes ago, themctipers said:

money, or to invest it in something safe that will make more $ because interest (so you'll have $110 i guess after a decade) 

You could get $110 after 5 years with a 2% interest rate. More if the rates increase between now and then.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Or ask them to buy a $100 investment (5-year GIC or something) for you, so that in 5 years, you'll have more than $100.

that's so boring though... 

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 minutes ago, spwath said:

that's so boring though... 

Meh... your life. You do you.

Just take the money. Buying gift cards is like changing universally accepted currency into fairy dust. It could very well be that. Just take the money, and if you want the best of both worlds, splurge on something with the 50-70 bucks and save the rest in a "Pending Splurge" bucket.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

Money. Evey single grad party I went to all you get is money and at mine all I got was money. Even from parents. But I was 500 from my mom and 500 from my dad (divorced parents) 

100 seems low lol that's how much my aunts and grandma's gave meand my family (but not me) is no where near rich. 

Smoking weed at the red light like its legal

6 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

You could get $110 after 5 years with a 2% interest rate. More if the rates increase between now and then.

Or he can get the 100 go to a grage sale buy stuff for cheap sell them and have over 200 easily.

Re selling is very profitable I make 30k a month (profit) doing it.

9 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I would just take the $100

$103 at the end of 5 years, doesnt even break inflation. There should be some bank that can accept a measly 100.

41 minutes ago, yathis said:

$103 at the end of 5 years, doesnt even break inflation. There should be some bank that can accept a measly 100.

Depends on the interest rate. Just shucking it into a savings account (high interest or TSFA) won't net you very much, but investing in a bond or certificate can earn much higher interest rates (though not guaranteed).

1 hour ago, dalekphalm said:

Depends on the interest rate. Just shucking it into a savings account (high interest or TSFA) won't net you very much, but investing in a bond or certificate can earn much higher interest rates (though not guaranteed).

No interest rate will break inflation. Any econ teacher will say to spend money and not save it becase that $100 can buy let's say 3 things now but next year because of inflation you'll have $101 but you can only buy two things now becase the price. 

23 hours ago, spwath said:

Me neither.

They said around $100.

Thoughts?

Ask for one of those prepaid visa gift cards

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Buy from Amazon a lot? get a amazon gift card.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

screw cheap tech stuff for 100 or some half assed gift card. Go splurge on a restaurant and enjoy the night out!

23 hours ago, spwath said:

Me neither.

They said around $100.

Thoughts?

Take the cash if you can, then put it towards college (Assuming you're going to college, otherwise, who knows.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

4 hours ago, HunterSkater429 said:

Money. Evey single grad party I went to all you get is money and at mine all I got was money. Even from parents. But I was 500 from my mom and 500 from my dad (divorced parents) 

100 seems low lol that's how much my aunts and grandma's gave meand my family (but not me) is no where near rich. 

Well they got me a laptop too and are paying for my tuition, so....

1 minute ago, TheKDub said:

Take the cash if you can, then put it towards college (Assuming you're going to college, otherwise, who knows.)

My parents are paying for my college.

11 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

GIC

GIC's are fine for helping your money keep up with inflation in the short run. But for something that's going to stay saved up for 5 years or more, it's recommended to invest in something with a low/moderate risk, a mutual fund. The tricky thing is to find an institution with lower than average management fees since banks tend to drive those up.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

airpods. be like me

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

Just now, Goodman2265 said:

airpods. be like me

No. I have my sennheiser HD650's and my Fostex TH-X00's

Just now, spwath said:

No. I have my sennheiser HD650's and my Fostex TH-X00's

something light weight

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3