Fios GB internet = Scam?!

Billiam267

Before I get burned at the cross i know that there are some clause *** to the term GB in their advertising but i wanted to let my fellow US customers know what im going thru, i recently had signed up with verizon for their GB internet service and it ran great for the first few weeks was running over their rental router about 200-250 mb average, but now I'm finding myself with slower speed than before I had their 100/100 service, after resetting my router im lucky to break 80 mb download speeds on either the google test or ookla, but when i use the verizon test im at 948 mb.. what gives? 

Heres three from the last 20 minutes, I see they are using different servers.. Im in philadelphia, the fios server is in virgina thats not even close, I dont think im anywhere near their speed and its fake advertising IMO

fios.JPG

google.JPG

ookla.JPG

5 minutes ago, Billiam267 said:

Heres three from the last 20 minutes, I see they are using different servers.. Im in philadelphia, the fios server is in virgina thats not even close, I dont think im anywhere near their speed and its fake advertising IMO

fios.JPG

google.JPG

ookla.JPG

Is this using Ethernet? If so contact them about it

Have you tried from different devices? Are you hardwired into the router or are you using WiFi? 

Have you contacted your ISP to see if they can sort it out?

I get the same results on three different devices over wifi using iphone my phone , ipad and my laptop.. ill be calling them monday cause they still owe me money from another account I had, I wanted to get some more knowledgeable opinions before i talk with them 

The advertised speed, from every US ISP, is the direct connection to their servers. Speeds to other web servers can, and often will, be lower. This is true of speed tests as well.

Just now, Billiam267 said:

wifi using iphone my phone , ipad and my laptop

There's a big part of the problem. Wifi connections almost never run at the speed that an ISP serves, and if it does, it's becuase the ISP's connection is slow.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Wifi doesn't run at gigabit speeds, your probably in a conjested wifi channel have a fiddle with the routers settings.

Something I always suggest when troubleshooting internet speed issues is to check the router your ISP gave you. For the longest time my speeds were lower than advertised. Then, after having the people come out to my house 4 times, I asked if I could get a new router/modem. The issue ended up being that the supplied router they gave me was an out of date piece of garbage. I now happily have full gigabit speeds up and down when connected to Ethernet! :D

I don't know if this will help you at all, but that's my experience with ISP speed issues.

ISP speed tests are usually on very short paths on equipment hosted by them with prioritized traffic. Internet speed tests have to go through their internet exchanges with higher tier network providers and/or traverse other providers.

Basically what this shows is their network is un-congested but the bandwidth they are paying for to other exchanges is, or they are bandwidth shaping traffic leaving their network to keep bandwidth costs down.

The speeds you pay for are speeds inside of the ISP's network. Once you leave their network they have zero control over the speeds of other networks. If you pay for 1Gbps but you connect to a website that's on a 10Mbps port then there is no possible way for your ISP to give you 1Gbps to that website. Their test server is within their network so that's the best you're going to get, anything outside of their network is hit or miss and completely out of their control. You can do a traceroute to see how the routing is and if you're really lucky you can use a VPN to improve the routing to specific networks (at the expense of others) but the speeds you are seeing are what you should expect unless your ISP decides to peer with more upstream providers for better routing and performance.

-KuJoe

Just for kicks, please run a few speed tests on various sites using the area around Ashburn, VA (DC Metro area). I'm betting that all the FIOS user traffic from the Philadelphia area doesn't get onto "the internet" until it gets to Ashburn, which is where one of the largest internet exchanges is (our company has a few servers there). Reston and Ashburn are next to each other and are almost the same town.

Also, please run a speedtest at http://www.dslreports.com/speedtests - they do multiple streams (up to 32) against multiple servers, versus most speedtests are only against a single server with a single stream. This test helps determine whether you are getting what you pay for in general but trying to put as many loads as possible through your connection.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

these are the tests from the site last asked, from Brwainer, the first is over wifi, the second is ethernet running to the switch on the modem which was actually slower than the wifi, but the "grades" were better which is confusing.. 

dsl1.JPG

dsl2.JPG

3 minutes ago, Billiam267 said:

these are the tests from the site last asked, from Brwainer, the first is over wifi, the second is ethernet running to the switch on the modem

dsl1.JPG

dsl2.JPG

Check that the router reports that the ethernet to the ONT is running at 1000Mb/gigabit. This looks like that has dropped to 100Mb. If you log into the router you can check the link speed of the individual ports.

1 minute ago, Billiam267 said:

where would i see this? 

Do you have the G1100 "Quantum Gateway" router, or a different model?

EDIT: Actually, I just realized my idea was a bad one. If this was a link speed issue, then you wouldn't be able to get over 100Mb on Verizon's internal test.

Just now, brwainer said:

Do you have the G1100 "Quantum Gateway" router, or a different model?

yes, loginto the site on the side? 

yes, loginto the site on the side? 

Sorry, please read the edit I just made to my prior post.

Here is another consideration, is the switch or router you have gigabit or 100 Mbps.

If it is 100 Mbps, then that is your bottleneck.

Just now, droidrzrlover said:

Here is another consideration, is the switch or router you have gigabit or 100 Mbps

That is basically what I was thinking just now, or rather if he did have a Gigabit router but the ethernet link had dropped to 100Mb, but if either of those were the case then he couldn't get the 900+Mb results he is seeing on the Verizon speedtest.

i have gotten speeds over wifi up to 250 mpbs on thirdparty sites in the past, but in the past week it has noticeably dropped 

i have gotten speeds over wifi up to 250 mpbs on thirdparty sites in the past, but in the past week it has noticeably dropped 

Can you post a screenshot of your interface on your PC?

Sort of like this:

interface.PNG

1 minute ago, Billiam267 said:

I still think we might see something interesting if you go back to Ookla (speedtest.net) and choose a server that is near Ashburn/Reston, VA, since that is where the Verizon server supposedly is.

Just now, brwainer said:

I still think we might see something interesting if you go back to Ookla (speedtest.net) and choose a server that is near Ashburn/Reston, VA, since that is where the Verizon server supposedly is.

I can agree.