Toying With Scammers

Windows7ge

Who here has ever toyed with a Nigerian scammer or similar? Whether it was by e-mail or phone call what did you do to waste their time?

3 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Who here has ever toyed with a Nigerian scammer or similar? Whether it was by e-mail or phone call what did you do to waste their time?

I was called about a virus, and I then made a VM that they could mess around in (got the idea from barnecules), He tried putting syskey on my VM but I have one where I can make save states so i kept putting the VM back to the save state before he could restart the PC, he then kept trying to put syskey on thinking he did it wrong, when i called him out on it he said it was and I quote "It is a wirus protection software, I am putting a security on it so it is not affected by the wiruses on the pc". I then hung up and deleted the VM this went on for like 35 mins

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

6 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I used a Vm and called them up, I acted really scared about how the Viruses will ruin my computer, Its also pretty funny if you use a operating system other than windows, They likely will have no idea to what to do in something like linux.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Duct Cleaning - Send them way out to the outskirts of town, to an address of an empty lot and tell them its a mansion, 8000 sq ft.

You can do that with any house service really.

Its only getting worse now and people are falling for it. I am concerned about my elderly parents, so I am thinking of seriously looking for a PBX phone system for the house. Basically have it exactly like an office where you need to press an extension, say 123-456-7890 EXT 1

But have it so the telemarketers that are calling you have no idea and they hear a couple rings and it goes straight to voice mail without a ring on the telephone. But you'd need something to prompt people you know that press the extra 1 for the extension. So maybe this

Telemarketer calls, the PBX picks up the call instantly and does not allow the house phone to ring. It makes it appear to the caller that it is ringing, then there is an automated voice that states, You have reached so-and-so, then there is a pause for lets say 5 seconds, at this point is where people you know punch in the Extension code which in this case is one, they punch #1 and the house phone rings for a normal duration, if the homeowner is in and picks up the phone everything is normal. If the homeowner is away, the house phone will ring normally for a standard amount of time and pleasantly prompts the caller to leave a message.

Telemarketer calls, the PBX picks up the call instantly and does not allow the house phone to ring. It makes it appear to the caller that it is ringing, then there is an automated voice that states, You have reached so-and-so, then there is a pause for lets say 5 seconds, at this point is where the Telemarketer voice prompts comes in. There were no rings on the house line.

Then there are 2 voice mail boxes, one for people who dont have the Extension code, and one for the people that do have the Extension code.

This is the ultimate in getting rid of the Telemarketer scammers.

However its a little bit of an extra step for the housewives that never worked in an office, or a physical laborer who doesnt know about extensions. But for the office crowd, this is old tech.

Should be easy to implement.

Yeah I was called about a virus as well, I knew right away, but I played along for a minute but then wanted to fuck with them so I swore at them constantly.

I bought a Call Blocker online for the house, but they can spoof the #'s on the display.

Sometimes there is 1234567890

other times there is a 0000000000000

and other odd things pop up

Anything from an area code not here, its a scammer usually.

Private could be 50/50

I got called by some a few days back but didn't have a vm set up but I could have connected them to my linux box. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

6 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

I got called by some a few days back but didn't have a vm set up but I could have connected them to my linux box. 

That is interesting, to fuck with them using Linux instead of MS.

Its too much of a time waster to bother with them I find. I've been tempted, but I hate listening to people who do not speak fluent or half decent english. I absolutely hate it.

4 minutes ago, yathis said:

Its too much of a time waster to bother with them I find. I've been tempted, but I hate listening to people who do not speak fluent or half decent english. I absolutely hate it.

I know but it is half the fun listing to them try and tell you stuff and then you act like a fool and they get pissed 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Yeah I understand it, maybe because you are younger. Me I am older, plus I hate people blah blah blah you know

My favorite was the computer store that said they were going to send a bunch of Anus laptops to some Nigerian scammer, so the scammer agreed to pay the shipping fees and got a bunch of heavy ass rocks and 10 year-old broken laptops with the word ANUS carved into the screens. I can't remember what site I saw this on but I was dying laughing.

4 hours ago, yathis said:

I've had thoughts that using Linux would be funny but something even funnier I think would be if you could remote them into a CLI based operating system be it DOS or Command Line Linux. I know Teamviewer is available on Linux and it's possible to remove the desktop and just run command line but I'm not sure if the teamviewer process would still be running in the background and be capable of executing.

To be honest I don't see why it couldn't.

Can't you honey trap them or something? They are connecting to your system. Can't you send something the other way at the same time nuke there PC? Would be ultimate justice imo

I happened to be walking to past the landline many years ago when a scammer called. Poor quality phone call and caller had very thick Pakistan accent. Very difficult to understand one word of what she was saying but I could barely make out she was one of those virus scammers. I said something like lady I don't know what fuck you're on about and hung up. That weekend at my weekend job my workmate told me his father got ripped $300 or $400 from these people. 

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

I've had thoughts that using Linux would be funny but something even funnier I think would be if you could remote them into a CLI based operating system be it DOS or Command Line Linux. I know Teamviewer is available on Linux and it's possible to remove the desktop and just run command line but I'm not sure if the teamviewer process would still be running in the background and be capable of executing.

To be honest I don't see why it couldn't.

On YouTube someone has done a scammer with hanah Montana linux

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

8 hours ago, NLD1st said:

Can't you honey trap them or something? They are connecting to your system. Can't you send something the other way at the same time nuke there PC? Would be ultimate justice imo

Someone, actually a few have done this and published to youtube

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I get phone calls from people claiming to extend the warranty on my cars (won't happen because both of them are over 14 years old and have over 200k mikes on them). And I just keep them on the line wasting their time up u till I reveal they are trying to warranty a truck that is from 1988...

The other stuff I usually get calls about is usually the scam related to credit card debt. The key here is to not reveal how much debt you are in or any personal information. Just again keeping them on the line as long as you can. And the more they get pissed off and stay on the line the less people they can scam.

Very rarely do I get the call about a virus being on my computer or a Microsoft scammer claiming my windows key expired. Either way I usually, again, keep them on the line as long as I can to keep them from scamming others. 

If if you really want to play with them when you get bored you can set up a VM. My favorite thing to use is an anonymous VPN, VM, and fire rtc so there is no chance in hell they can track my actual location. 

14 minutes ago, nismoklutchkicker said:

I get phone calls from people claiming to extend the warranty on my cars (won't happen because both of them are over 14 years old and have over 200k mikes on them). And I just keep them on the line wasting their time up u till I reveal they are trying to warranty a truck that is from 1988...

The other stuff I usually get calls about is usually the scam related to credit card debt. The key here is to not reveal how much debt you are in or any personal information. Just again keeping them on the line as long as you can. And the more they get pissed off and stay on the line the less people they can scam.

Very rarely do I get the call about a virus being on my computer or a Microsoft scammer claiming my windows key expired. Either way I usually, again, keep them on the line as long as I can to keep them from scamming others. 

If if you really want to play with them when you get bored you can set up a VM. My favorite thing to use is an anonymous VPN, VM, and fire rtc so there is no chance in hell they can track my actual location. 

I've been getting the car warranty one a lot recently. They're getting even better now, as they're starting to come up with local numbers.

So annoying

6 minutes ago, linkboy said:

I've been getting the car warranty one a lot recently. They're getting even better now, as they're starting to come up with local numbers.

So annoying

It's still using some sort of VOIP system based out of the region they have your number from. Since I have been screwing with them the number of calls I get has gone down. Not sure if it's been because I have called them out as a scammer or given them names like Ted Turner, Petter Griffin, or Jeb Bush. Either way it's still funny.

2 minutes ago, nismoklutchkicker said:

It's still using some sort of VOIP system based out of the region they have your number from. Since I have been screwing with them the number of calls I get has gone down. Not sure if it's been because I have called them out as a scammer or given them names like Ted Turner, Petter Griffin, or Jeb Bush. Either way it's still funny.

I went and put an app to help block spam calls on my phone and it's helped to block some. It's not perfect, but it helps.

1 hour ago, nismoklutchkicker said:

My Aunt's husband got a call about something being wrong with his computer. I think the scam was virus related but I cannot recall the specifics. What I do know is that he unintelligently let them into his computer. He eventually wised up a bit and booted them from the system before they could really do any harm then contacted his son-in-law who is a techy and was immediately prompted that it was a scam followed by "What did they do to the computer?". I came into the scene a few months later and got told the whole story. All I could do was ask him Why? Why did you listen to them? I'll cut him some slack he's like 60 something and I don't think DOS even existed yet when he was a child.

11 hours ago, linkboy said:

I went and put an app to help block spam calls on my phone and it's helped to block some. It's not perfect, but it helps.

Unfortunately it doesn't always help. I had one on my phone but it never worked as it should. I'm glad it's helping you though. 

9 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

My Aunt's husband got a call about something being wrong with his computer. I think the scam was virus related but I cannot recall the specifics. What I do know is that he unintelligently let them into his computer. He eventually wised up a bit and booted them from the system before they could really do any harm then contacted his son-in-law who is a techy and was immediately prompted that it was a scam followed by "What did they do to the computer?". I came into the scene a few months later and got told the whole story. All I could do was ask him Why? Why did you listen to them? I'll cut him some slack he's like 60 something and I don't think DOS even existed yet when he was a child.

Unfortunately, these are the type of people they prey on. There are a few youtubers who are extremely entertaining to watch them really screw with them. One is HoaxHotel and the other is EachandEverything. They make games out of it too. HoaxHotel doesn't really do much with the computer. He just keeps them on the phone screwing with them as long as he can. EachandEverything is the one that really screws with them.

Highly recommend these guys to everyone here if you want a evening of good laughs.

@AdamBGames

@ShadowArk

@yathis

@GDRRiley

@SteveGrabowski0

@SCHISCHKA

@nismoklutchkicker

I'm currently working on an e-mail scam I was sent. This was the initial e-mail:

Scammer:

"I saw your advert on Craigslist regarding the computer repair. I have a computer which I will like you to help me fix up, if you are capable of fixing up the computer. Please get back to me on my email address (jeffblaser355@gmail.com)."

I've been stringing him along the past few days. First he says one computer. The he says it's 6 computers. Now he's telling me they're not even his computers (sub-contracting). I'm going to string him along for as long as possible and when communication is finally lost I'll post the whole story here for anyone who wants to read through it. So far it's not that exciting but I did just give him "my" address of which I set him out to California City. The largest city never built and I gave him a dud phone number off a website.

9 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I just block all scam calls+delete spam emails. 

Although I have yet to ever receive a scam phone call (maybe it's due to my cell phone provider, maybe I'm just lucky. I have no idea) I have done just that for the past number of years when it comes to email scams. Though I've decided to try out playing the game that is messing with scammers. If you think about it. The more you waste their time. The less time they have to scam other people. Plus if you enjoy doing it then you're not wasting your own time. It's a win win.