your opinion on Edge...

i'm just wondering what others think of the browser.

i've been using it for a bit and it's become really good. when it came out it was terrible, but now it's really smooth in my opinion. 

She/Her

I don't use Edge, simply for the fact that I need bookmark syncing across my desktop, my laptop, my phone and my tablet. When Edge integrates bookmark syncing, and it's on Android, then I'd reconsider.

It is a good browser, I might add. Better than Google Chrome, at least :P

PS. I use Opera

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

I prefer it over other browsers. I like how much better it is on resources and performance than other browsers, I also like that I can watch streaming content at higher quality on Edge compared to other browsers.

-KuJoe

It's still shit. Only use it for Netflix 1080p.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

Typical microsoft incompetence, I say.

Granted that it's lightyears ahead of IE, I still think it's pretty poor in comparison to the other options. I'm not personally a fan of the layout and it's demonstrably slower than other mainstream browsers. Also, its customization options are simply awful. You can't even change the home page from in the browser.

I currently use FF but was an avid Opera user for quite some time. I'd recommend those any day over Edge.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

I heard it is good on laptops because of the low power usage.

Specs: Intel Core i7 2600k | Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3 | EVGA 1080 FTW2 Gaming | Kingston HyperX Red 16GB | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Corsair CX600 | 
Lian Li Lancool-II white

Laptop: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M15 (Intel i7, 16GB, RTX 2070) | 2013 MacBook Pro 15 (Intel i7, 16GB, GT750M)

i was really exited about the browser just yesterday when i got an email(which i signed off from, by the way *looks angrily at microsoft*) about a new insider update where they made the pdf docs on edge ACTUALLY FUCKING WORK, which is a pretty nice feature might i add, so i decided to get back on the insider poopdates after doing some backups(last time the piece of shit "stable" insider update bricked my OS). aaaaaand they dont work. FUUUUUU!!!! >:(.   anyways, its a nice browser and certainly a lot better than what it was when it first came out, but i still prefer chrome because of all my plugins and stuff. also i STILL find that some websites scale horribly with edge, and fine with chrome(dont remember which ones tho) so there's that. 

I have Edge as a secondary browser but nothing will ever replace Firefox as my main browser, I have never installed Chrome in any of my machines :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I used it occasionally when a site has some weird incompatibility issue with Mozilla. I liked edge initially, right up until they decided to bring back support for Flash Player. Flash needs to die, and I hoped Microsoft would help make the push for it's finally years...

24 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

I used it occasionally when a site has some weird incompatibility issue with Mozilla. I liked edge initially, right up until they decided to bring back support for Flash Player. Flash needs to die, and I hoped Microsoft would help make the push for it's finally years...

microsoft just wants to make sure that their browser is compatible with everything... chrome incoperates flash too. does that mean it's a bad browser?

She/Her

1 hour ago, Aeternalis said:

Typical microsoft incompetence, I say.

Granted that it's lightyears ahead of IE, I still think it's pretty poor in comparison to the other options. I'm not personally a fan of the layout and it's demonstrably slower than other mainstream browsers. Also, its customization options are simply awful. You can't even change the home page from in the browser.

I currently use FF but was an avid Opera user for quite some time. I'd recommend those any day over Edge.

on my laptop it's actually faster than chrome. and MUCH lighter on ram...

She/Her

50 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

microsoft just wants to make sure that their browser is compatible with everything... chrome incoperates flash too. does that mean it's a bad browser?

Flash is a huge vulnerability. This is where most people get nasties on the internet. Advertisements and such... There needs to be a more secure platform, but there doesn't appear to be a suitable replacement since it would need to be super flexible (be supported on multiple devices and OS types) as well as being easy to transfer from the current setup to a new one. Too much work, so it'll not happen. I had hoped that the power of Microsoft would help push to something else more secure.

In case youre interested. http://www.csoonline.com/article/3158488/security/are-the-adobe-flash-vulnerabilities-leaving-you-feeling-scared.html

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-53/product_id-6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.html

2 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Flash is a huge vulnerability. This is where most people get nasties on the internet. Advertisements and such... There needs to be a more secure platform, but there doesn't appear to be a suitable replacement since it would need to be super flexible (be supported on multiple devices and OS types) as well as being easy to transfer from the current setup to a new one. Too much work, so it'll not happen. I had hoped that the power of Microsoft would help push to something else more secure.

In case youre interested. http://www.csoonline.com/article/3158488/security/are-the-adobe-flash-vulnerabilities-leaving-you-feeling-scared.html

https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-53/product_id-6761/Adobe-Flash-Player.html

okay, but Edge automatically blocks it. so you'd have to manually let it run. 

She/Her

57 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

okay, but Edge automatically blocks it. so you'd have to manually let it run. 

My point is that originally, Edge didn't have a way to allow it. Which was awesome. Because the majority of the people on PC's are not too smart, and get malware, adware, viruses, and trojans injected through malicious code on various sites. Not allowing Flash to work at all is definitely a good cure of those exploits. Yes, you can allow it. I'm not arguing that now.

I'm saying I gave kudos to MS when Edge didn't allow it, because Flash is a cesspool of modern day internet.

7 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

on my laptop it's actually faster than chrome. and MUCH lighter on ram...

I'm not a fan of chrome myself. I will say it's good on ram usage but it's beat out by FF in everything else.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

It's fine. Anything I throw at Firefox or Chrome, Edge will do just fine. It just doesn't have a good plugin ecosystem.

I use Edge mostly for things where I need to log in another account on the same service (and I'd like that login persistent) or it's a slog on Firefox.

11 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

It's fine. Anything I throw at Firefox or Chrome, Edge will do just fine. It just doesn't have a good plugin ecosystem.

I use Edge mostly for things where I need to log in another account on the same service (and I'd like that login persistent) or it's a slog on Firefox.

i see a lot of people using firefox. im my experience, bear in mind that i only use budget low end hardware, firefox has always been really slow. slower than ie even... how is it for you?

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

i see a lot of people using firefox. im my experience, bear in mind that i only use budget low end hardware, firefox has always been really slow. slower than ie even... how is it for you?

Don't ask me that, I run on higher performance software :P

I recall a lightweight version of Firefox called Light and I did use it for a bit when I had a Windows tablet.

You can also try a lightweight browser like Midori if you're looking for something.

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Don't ask me that, I run on higher performance software :P

I recall a lightweight version of Firefox called Light and I did use it for a bit when I had a Windows tablet.

You can also try a lightweight browser like Midori if you're looking for something.

no, i'm not looking for something. i just wondered if firefox was slow for everyone. 

She/Her

CpY-owgUAAAXyyQ.jpg

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Just now, firelighter487 said:

no, i'm not looking for something. i just wondered if firefox was slow for everyone. 

You could try a few things here: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/speed-up-mozilla-firefox/

And there was an add-on I found called Speed Tweaks.

Its a decent browser, but i wont touch it until it has add-on support.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.