Does anyone know what processor this is?

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

To make it easy to understand, short version: 

That card is like a computer on a pci-e slot. You plug it in your computer and there's a very simplified Linux starting and using all those processors and you can connect to the card like you would connect to another computer using TeamViewer or Remote Desktop Connection only in just text mode.

You can transfer specially made programs into the card and run them on the card and then transfer the results to your computer like you would download files from another computer to your computer.

The programs have to be build from scratch in such a way as to account for the limitations of the tiny Linux operating system built inside the card, and the programs must be written in a special way to use all the cores and all the threads that the card can use, but the downside is the limited amount of memory so often your programs have to be specially written in such a way as to take small chunks of "work", do them , send the results and clear the memory, download another chunk of work into the card and process it and so on...

It may be useful for applications that can have the work split in lots of very very tiny jobs, like for example an 8K image that you have to render with raytracing or some other very accurate methods and which can split the image in 32 x 32 pixel squares and do those independently. Each thread would use little memory and build the whole image.

Could be useful for physics stuff like computing where you may find oil, or doing math on earthquake data or whatever, again stuff that can be split in lots of tiny chunks...,

It would be difficult to use with video encoding for example, because most codecs work with larger slices of each frame, like let's say 80-100 slices of 1920x16 pixels for 1920x1080 pictures, and video codecs also have to keep track of up to 10-16 whole pictures which use a lot of memory. maybe more than what this card has.

So a cousin of mine gave me this processor as a gift after I told him I built a gaming/editing pc but  I am clueless to what it is, I believe its a server processor. He says it has 61 cores which seems ridiculous. 

Id like to know if I can use it for video editing and rendering and if it can even be used on my pc. My specs: i5 6600k, gtx 970, asus z170-e and windows 10 home 64 bit. I thought intel stopped making slot bassed processors after the pentium 2.

IMG_0657.JPG

IMG_0658.JPG

IMG_0659.JPG

IMG_0660.JPG

its an phi accelerator unit for deep learning
how the fuck did you get one?!

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
+ 7200RPM Seagate 1 Terabyte HDD
  • PSU
    seasonic 750 prime platinum Active PFC F3
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
    Cherry MX Board 6.0 ISOANSI + Vector/Tai keycaps+ Landing pads + O-rings
  • Mouse
    BenQ Zowie EC2-A White Edition
  • Sound
    Edirol Roland UA-25EX + Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 x64 (Enterprise) SP1, OpenSUSE, Remnux

can you take a pic of the pcb on the back?
would help alot
there are alot of phi pcie cards

3x 128GB Samsung PM961 M.2 (2x Kryom PCI-E M.2 by Aqua Computer) on windows os raid and 1x PM961 as os Host on the motherboard m.2 slot
+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
    Noctua NH-D15S (original fan replaced by an Noctua 140mm industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM + Steel 140mm fan guard)
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

or just find the reference number or model number on the pcb , and type it into intel ark

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Just now, NrKj105 said:

its an phi accelerator unit for deep learning
how the fuck did you get one?!

He just gave it to me, he works with cloud computing servers. Could I just slot it into my pc and have it ready to go?

3 minutes ago, antoipod said:

Id like to know if I can use it for video editing and rendering

not exactly, you will need to have specialized equipment to take advantage if it. 

Just now, antoipod said:

He just gave it to me, he works with cloud computing servers. Could I just slot it into my pc and have it ready to go?

You can't really use it as a CPU :D

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

wait

puget systems made a guide how to use it in windows

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/hpc/Intel-Xeon-Phi-with-Windows-510/

come to think of it
now i want one too ! :D

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

27 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

can you take a pic of the pcb on the back?
would help alot
there are alot of phi pcie cards

Here:

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

Regular people like us really won't have any use for this, find out from your cousin if he will feel bad with you selling it and sell it and put the money in the bank, i doubt you will need it.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

5 minutes ago, antoipod said:

No, lol, you need a special server motherboard for it to work, and you need specially coded programs to run on it.

Basically, it's a useless brick to you.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor G86604-300 Knights Corner 16GB 61 core 1.238/1.333GHz

$625.00

HOLY CRAP DUDE ! Your bro is amazing !

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

56 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, lol, you need a special server motherboard for it to work, and you need specially coded programs to run on it.

Basically, it's a useless brick to you.

nothing is impossible , puget made a guide check it up please before saying its just a brick

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

4 minutes ago, antoipod said:

So can it run on my system or do I need a server board and a xeon cpu?

Its a Co-processor that goes into a PCI-Express X16 slot.

It's job is to number crunch; it cannot be used as a CPU, and it does not output and video / audio.

Basically, kind of like a compute GPU (e.g. nVidia Tesla card) if you will...

Spoiler

NVIDIA-Tesla-P100-PCI-Express_1.jpg

97392_tesla1_169bb0b8-1ef0-4bd2-b8f9-e7c

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

i would consider buying this because AutoCAD uses alot of cpu horsepower, i think videoediting is the same compilance within structuring the need for creation
i doubt that APP is only blocked to GPU rendering, im pretty sure you can use it , it would make your cousin happy to see you fidel around with it and not just selling it for money,

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

"Soooo I just built a gaming and media editing desktop PC"

"YOU DID? WOW THATS GREAT, I HAVE THIS SUPERCOMPUTER COMPONENT WORTH OVER $600 PLEASE HAVE IT"

Asus X99-A w/ BIOS 3402 | Intel i7 5820k OC @4.4GHz 1.28V w/ Noctua NH-U14S | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 OC @2666MHz 12-14-14-28 | Asus Geforce GTX970 STRIX OC | EVGA 750 G2 750W | Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB | Windows 10 64-bit | Be-Quiet Silent Base 800 w/ Silent Wings | 2x Dell U2414H OC @72Hz w/ Display Port

Don't forget to invest in an Intel Tuning Plan if you're going to overvolt your K/X CPU

Just now, NrKj105 said:

i would consider buying this because AutoCAD uses alot of cpu horsepower, i think videoediting is the same compilance within structuring the need for creation
i doubt that APP is only blocked to GPU rendering, im pretty sure you can use it , it would make your cousin happy to see you fidel around with it and not just selling it for money,

You need a program specifically coded to use the Xeon Phi. So basically, there's like, 6 programs that can use it, all proprietary. @antoipod Literally, you cannot use it for anything other than a showpiece.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

4 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

nothing is impossible , puget made a guide check it up please before saying its just a brick

Literally the first sentence:

"just because you can do something, doesn’t mean that you should do it"

Basically no, he can't use it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, TheRandomness said:

You need a program specifically coded to use the Xeon Phi. So basically, there's like, 6 programs that can use it, all proprietary. @antoipod Literally, you cannot use it for anything other than a showpiece.

On that note, a pretty damned cool show piece.

You know just put it in and try( check wattage first)

I'd say it's it's unlikely to break anything and if it's not really helping sell it there's probaly a braindead person outhere who thinks you can use it as a CPU

My life

2 minutes ago, NrKj105 said:

You don't understand how a xeon phi works, do you...

You CANNOT use it for those things at all.

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

but you can always try to find a way ! thats the cool part of pc components ! :D
maybe this could revolutionize video editing ! i mean these amount of cores and teraflops of computing power could be used for something else than "numbercrunching"

+ 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
  • PSU
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System