Owners of EVGA FTW3 and Gigabyte Aorus Extreme GTX 1080 ti cards is there any sagging and/or coil whine? Also how loud is your card?

Bleedingyamato

After getting some feedback in a previous topic I think I've pretty much narrowed my choices for a 1080 ti if I get one to the EVGA FTW3 or Gigabyte's Aorus Extreme.  

I've been shown a few reviews but what I still would like more info about is what I mentioned in the title.

Is there any?:

1. Coil whine

2. Sagging

and 

3. How loud is the noise both in terms of how loud you perceive (or have measured) the card to be and how your 1080 ti compares to previous cards.

Though since I have a G1 1070 it would be of particular interest to know how these two 1080 ti cards compare to it.  

While I would prefer firsthand info from people who have owned or seen one of these two 1080 ti cards in front of them anyone is free to reply of course if you have relevant info.  I'm not  trying to be a jerk and exclude anyone trying to be helpful.  

Since you already have a 1070, why don't you just add a second one for SLI?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

36 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

While I admit I know almost nothing about SLI I have heard it doesn't work on everything and doesn't always work 100% even on games it does support.

Besides that I have no idea how 1070 SLI would compare to a 1080 ti.

I think I'm more interested in a single card setup.  

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

While I admit I know almost nothing about SLI I have heard it doesn't work on everything and doesn't always work 100% even on games it does support.

Not all games support it, but SLI is not as bad as people make it look like ;)

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Besides that I have no idea how 1070 SLI sould compare to a 1080 ti.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Mine is quiet enough with the stock fan profile and I never noticed any sagging. That was a different cooler design though (ACX 2.0+).

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

27 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Not all games support it, but SLI is not as bad as people make it look like ;)

Sorry.  I didn't mean SLI is terrible.  Just that I'm currently more interested in a single card setup will definitely work on all games.

Is a Titan X pascal the same or a little +/- from a 1080 ti?

Those results are a little confusing.  In some cases the 1070 is better by at least a little, other times they're about the same, and other times the Titan beats the sli.

20 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Mine is quiet enough with the stock fan profile and I never noticed any sagging. That was a different cooler design though (ACX 2.0+).

Different cooler yes but still an EVGA card which I figure offers useful insight about the brand in general.

Is your card a two slot or is it extra thick (2.5-3 slot) like most of the 1080 ti cards seem to be?

Have you noticed any coil whine?

14 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Is a Titan X pascal the same or a little +/- from a 1080 ti?

Pretty much the same :D

Sagging happens with old age, most people go through this.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

i have the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 and its fairly quiet as you can keep the 2nd fan off until the VRMS get to about 70c or so and i have noticed no sagging at all and temps stay below 75c even while overclocking and my fan never goes above 60%. the FTW3 only has a slight clock speed difference and with the limitations of pascal voltage or higher power doesnt really make a difference. id even say save some money and just grab the SC2, only real benefit the FTW3 has over the SC2 is slightly better thermals only like 2-3c difference and slightly lower noise and a 2nd bios

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

1 hour ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Sagging happens with old age, most people go through this.

Are we still talking about GPUs or have you moved on to sagging people?  lol

54 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

i have the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 and its fairly quiet as you can keep the 2nd fan off until the VRMS get to about 70c or so and i have noticed no sagging at all and temps stay below 75c even while overclocking and my fan never goes above 60%. the FTW3 only has a slight clock speed difference and with the limitations of pascal voltage or higher power doesnt really make a difference. id even say save some money and just grab the SC2, only real benefit the FTW3 has over the SC2 is slightly better thermals only like 2-3c difference and slightly lower noise and a 2nd bios

I thought a higher power limit or whatever the Aorus Extreme has/uses does help with something?

Lower noise is what I'm aiming for.  I have a low tolerance for white noise like from overly loud computer fans.  ?

What's the second bios for?

Have you noticed any coil whine from your SC2 1080 ti?

Do you know if the fans on the SC2 are larger or the same size as the fans on the FTW3?

Just now, Bleedingyamato said:

I thought a higher power limit or whatever the Aorus Extreme has/uses does help with something?

Lower noise is what I'm aiming for.  I have a low tolerance for white noise like from overly loud computer fans.  ?

Maybe both.

#LinusHealthTips

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

31 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Do you know if the fans on the SC2 are larger or the same size as the fans on the FTW3?

no my SC2 has no coil whine and i think the FTW3s fans are either the same size or slightly smaller, the secound bios allows you to up the power target even higher. and power limit does help a bit but Pascal is still limited imo it doesnt really mater what AIB you get as long as it runs cool most seem to cap around 2050mhz at most some higher if you get a golden chip but everything still revolves around the silicon lottery and voltages doesnt seem to push the overclock that much farther as all the AIB cards are within 5 fps of each other. though id highly recommend EVGA for there customer support as its one of the best. this time around i would just pick a card you are happy with the aesthetics with and it cools effectively enough for what you as gpu boost 3.0 boosts higher the lower the temp. also to note EVGA should be releasing the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid soon

i7 12700k/Asus Tuf z690/32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHZ/EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra/Samsung 980 Pro 1TB/Asus 2540x1440p 165hz Gsync/Acer 2560x1440p G Sync 144hz

7 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

no my SC2 has no coil whine and i think the FTW3s fans are either the same size or slightly smaller, the secound bios allows you to up the power target even higher. and power limit does help a bit but Pascal is still limited imo it doesnt really mater what AIB you get as long as it runs cool most seem to cap around 2050mhz at most some higher if you get a golden chip but everything still revolves around the silicon lottery and voltages doesnt seem to push the overclock that much farther as all the AIB cards are within 5 fps of each other. though id highly recommend EVGA for there customer support as its one of the best. this time around i would just pick a card you are happy with the aesthetics with and it cools effectively enough for what you as gpu boost 3.0 boosts higher the lower the temp. also to note EVGA should be releasing the EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid soon

That's good your 1080 ti doesn't have coil whine.

I'm pretty sure my G1 1070 does have some coil whine.  Though at least when I was playing Spec Ops: The Line last summer after I got my 1070 I'm pretty sure the coil whine was eliminated by restricting the fps using the Rivatuner add-on for Afterburner to either 120 or 144 I think.  If I remember right the coil whine only happened, with that game at least, when it tried to put out some crazy high FPS numbers especially during cutscenes.  

My problem is I really like Gigabyte's aesthetics more so on my G1 1070 but the Aorus cards aren't bad either.  

But the Aorus Extreme is heavy enough that I've seen reviews that show it sags...

While the FTW3 is thinner and a more standard 2 slot card with no sag I believe even though I'm not 100% loving the shroud on the cooler.

Does your SC2 have a fan stop feature and an indicator light to show when the fans aren't running?

Btw the hybrid has been released already: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713XX64Y/ref=twister_B06Y1J7WCC?th=1

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That's good your 1080 ti doesn't have coil whine.

I'm pretty sure my G1 1070 does have some coil whine.  Though at least when I was playing Spec Ops: The Line last summer after I got my 1070 I'm pretty sure the coil whine was eliminated by restricting the fps using the Rivatuner add-on for Afterburner to either 120 or 144 I think.  If I remember right the coil whine only happened, with that game at least, when it tried to put out some crazy high FPS numbers especially during cutscenes.  

My problem is I really like Gigabyte's aesthetics more so on my G1 1070 but the Aorus cards aren't bad either.  

But the Aorus Extreme is heavy enough that I've seen reviews that show it sags...

While the FTW3 is thinner and a more standard 2 slot card with no sag I believe even though I'm not 100% loving the shroud on the cooler.

Does your SC2 have a fan stop feature and an indicator light to show when the fans aren't running?

Btw the hybrid has been released already: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713XX64Y/ref=twister_B06Y1J7WCC?th=1

no the SC2 does not have a indicator like that, but the fans do stop at idle as long as temps are below a certian point i think its 40 or 50c.       though the EVGA ICX cards do have more thermal sensors allowing you to monitor it more, and the fans move independently of each other which is nice. also they both have 3 lights that change color letting you know at a glance if there too hot and you can change the color of them too, and the SC2 is also fully RGB, though the SC2 doesnt have a LED on the backplate like the FTW3. The SC2 and Ftw3 are both 2 slot cards which will make them easier to Sli with if you ever go that route. as you have seen in reviews they're overengineered with thermal pads everywhere. my SC2 stays at 1890 mhz stock at around 70c tops, with overclock it stays around 1987 mhz at around 73c tops with fans around 60% or so and i have to really pay attention if i want to hear the fans so there not really noticable. 

44 minutes ago, SHADY16 said:

no the SC2 does not have a indicator like that, but the fans do stop at idle as long as temps are below a certian point i think its 40 or 50c.       though the EVGA ICX cards do have more thermal sensors allowing you to monitor it more, and the fans move independently of each other which is nice. also they both have 3 lights that change color letting you know at a glance if there too hot and you can change the color of them too, and the SC2 is also fully RGB, though the SC2 doesnt have a LED on the backplate like the FTW3. The SC2 and Ftw3 are both 2 slot cards which will make them easier to Sli with if you ever go that route. as you have seen in reviews they're overengineered with thermal pads everywhere. my SC2 stays at 1890 mhz stock at around 70c tops, with overclock it stays around 1987 mhz at around 73c tops with fans around 60% or so and i have to really pay attention if i want to hear the fans so there not really noticable. 

Darn...  Having the fan stop light on my 1070 is really nice.  

Is the 1987 with OCing you did or whatever auto stuff GPU boost 3 does?

Idk about mhz for graphics cards but I assume that's a good amount?

1 minute ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Darn...  Having the fan stop light on my 1070 is really nice.  

Is the 1987 with OCing you did or whatever auto stuff GPU boost 3 does?

Idk about mhz for graphics cards but I assume that's a good amount?

the 1987 mhz is what i did. the card gets up to 1890 by itself with gpu boost. i just keep it at stock to keep temps even lower and the extra fps i gain doesnt really make a difference in the games i play. i just highly recommend EVGA as with their customer service they allow you to overclock and even change the cooler etc and they dont void your warranty

3 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Different cooler yes but still an EVGA card which I figure offers useful insight about the brand in general.

Is your card a two slot or is it extra thick (2.5-3 slot) like most of the 1080 ti cards seem to be?

Have you noticed any coil whine?

Exactly 2 slot.

No coil whine.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

2 hours ago, SHADY16 said:

the 1987 mhz is what i did. the card gets up to 1890 by itself with gpu boost. i just keep it at stock to keep temps even lower and the extra fps i gain doesnt really make a difference in the games i play. i just highly recommend EVGA as with their customer service they allow you to overclock and even change the cooler etc and they dont void your warranty

Don't Gigabyte or ASUS allow for overclocking at least without voiding your warranty?

I get it, EVGA seems to be the warranty king.  lol

2 hours ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Exactly 2 slot.

No coil whine.

Very nice.  So between the FTW3 and the Aorus Extreme which do you think would be better?

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Very nice.  So between the FTW3 and the Aorus Extreme which do you think would be better?

I haven't kept track of the 1000 series at all since they don't interest me.

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I haven't kept track of the 1000 series at all since they don't interest me.

Why wouldn't they interest you?

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why wouldn't they interest you?

I have a 980ti, why would I even consider the 1000 series?

6 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Or wait patiently for Volta xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

22 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

I have a 980ti, why would I even consider the 1000 series?

Because it runs cooler I'm pretty sure, I thought it used less power, the 1080 at least (1080 ti too now that there is one) performs better than a 980 ti if you'd want the bump, more VRAM since apparently games are starting to need more than 4GB. 

The benefits are there.  It's mostly a matter of do you want them.  Though I suppose you don't if you're waiting for at least the next generation cards or beyond before upgrading.

In my case my 970 wasn't nearly as nice as your 980 ti and as compared to the 1000 series cards vs what I wanted to be able to use it for.  At the time run Rise of the Tomb Raider at max settings and have at or very close to 60 fps.  

Now I'm hoping to give 4K a try so I need better than my 1070 can manage otherwise I'd stick with it for at least another 1-2 years maybe depending on if some unforeseen high demand game would've forced an upgrade sooner rather than later.  

14 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Or wait patiently for Volta xD

I almost bought a 1080 last summer because I didn't want to wait a month for the 1070 to be available.  

I'm really bad at patience.  ?

4 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I almost bought a 1080 last summer because I didn't want to wait a month for the 1070 to be available.  

I'm really bad at patience.  ?

The best thing would still wait for the GTX 2080 which will be faster and stronger than the 1080ti for cheaper... and the 1070 can run any game any ways... just go easy on graphical quality, myself like @DeadEyePsycho am skipping the Pascal line up now, I do plan on a huge upgrade soon though, a Titan X (Volta) with an Acer x34... sweet sweet 1440p ultrawide at ultra.

Also careful with what you say, a 980ti outperforms a 1070, the only thing the 1070 wins is at less power consumption, and it has 6gb of Vram not 4gb.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)