2GB Vram is still fine for todays games.

UglyDuckiling

As long as you are not doing silly set ups like GTX 770 3-way SLi 2GB Vram models where GPU power is too much for the on board video memory, where the excess power cannot be used because of Vram limitations.

So i have 2 PC's, a server type PC which uses a xeon and a GTX 670 2GB (ASUS reference)

I tested some games on it, the limitation is the GPU core even overclocked, i never found agame the 670 could not handle, unless using stupid settings, where GPU muscle just is not there.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Medium textures, all the other stuff turned up, was smooth in DX12 at 36FPS, lowest from the benchmark was 28 minimum but in game never saw lower than 31.

DOOM 2016 ran like shit...

Well it gives around 80FPS average in the first level (Vulkan API gives lower performance oddly) using OpenGL.

Well later on, even on lowest details we were dropping to 17FPS and lower.

Reducing resolution to 720P fixed that.

Video ram at all times was not a problem, at least was reporting always under 2GB Vram usage.

1 part later in that game something weird was happening, 480P and lowest settings got us 48FPS, so if we cranked it to 1080P it's now 38FPS, we put everything on Ultra and it dropped only 2 FPS.

So with that in mind, bumped resolution to 3200x1800, and we dropped to 28FPS.

????????????????

Clearly Vram is not the limit, DOOM has some bad optimization going on, GTX 670 was pegged at 100% usage at 480P on lowest settings... that is piss poor.

But yeah never Vram limited.

Not tried much else on it since i game on my main computer mostly, but i did try it.. 2GB is fine, GPU's just cannot push the eye candy anyway, Vram is not a limitation, GPU is.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

1 minute ago, UglyDuckiling said:

As long as you are not doing silly set ups like GTX 770 3-way SLi 2GB Vram models where GPU power is too much for the on board video memory, where the excess power cannot be used because of Vram limitations.

So i have 2 PC's, a server type PC which uses a xeon and a GTX 670 2GB (ASUS reference)

I tested some games on it, the limitation is the GPU core even overclocked, i never found agame the 670 could not handle, unless using stupid settings, where GPU muscle just is not there.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Medium textures, all the other stuff turned up, was smooth in DX12 at 36FPS, lowest from the benchmark was 28 minimum but in game never saw lower than 31.

DOOM 2016 ran like shit...

Well it gives around 80FPS average in the first level (Vulkan API gives lower performance oddly) using OpenGL.

Well later on, even on lowest details we were dropping to 17FPS and lower.

Reducing resolution to 720P fixed that.

Video ram at all times was not a problem, at least was reporting always under 2GB Vram usage.

1 part later in that game something weird was happening, 480P and lowest settings got us 48FPS, so if we cranked it to 1080P it's now 38FPS, we put evberything on Ultra and it dropped only 2 FPS.

So with that in mind, bumped resolution to 3200x1800, and we dropped to 28FPS.

????????????????

Clearly Vram is not the limit, DOOM has some bad optimization going on, GTX 670 was pegged at 100% usage at 480P on lowest settings... that is piss poor.

But yeah never Vram limited.

Not tried much else on it since i game on my main computer mostly, but i did try it.. 2GB is fine, GPU's just cannot push the eye candy anyway, Vram is not a limitation, GPU is.

excuse me? doom is one of the best optimized games of all time. you mustve been doing something wrong or your card is too old.
but yeah 2gb is enough unless you wanna max shit out

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

"smooth"

"36fps"

lol

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

"smooth"

"36fps"

lol

Means no stuttering, it's almost like people have no brains.

Ryzen 1700 @ 4.1ghz - 16GB 2400mhz Ripjaws V - ASUS ROG Crosshair VI - RX 580 Strix Crossfire.

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

excuse me? doom is one of the best optimized games of all time. you mustve been doing something wrong or your card is too old.
but yeah 2gb is enough unless you wanna max shit out

Only optimized when exceeding the requirements.

1 minute ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Means no stuttering, it's almost like people have no brains.

It's almost as if you're a console gamer that thinks 36fps is smooth......

Image result for thinking emoji png

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, UglyDuckiling said:

Only optimized when exceeding the requirements.

my rx 480 4gb does not meet the requirements for nightmare quality, maxed aa and the rest ultra yet with vulcan i can do it. 

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

Just now, Enderman said:

It's almost as if you're a console gamer that thinks 36fps is smooth......

Are you really going to keep going? that FPS can be smooth, it's not 60 FPS smooth, but it had no stuttering, that's the point.

Just now, Nickathom said:

my rx 480 4gb does not meet the requirements for nightmare quality, maxed aa and the rest ultra yet with vulcan i can do it. 

You also exceed requirements.

You also exceed requirements.

i do NOT exceed requirements for nightmare quality

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

For nightmare quality

Nightmare quality is not a separate entity, you exceed requirements.

Brains.

2 minutes ago, UglyDuckiling said:

Are you really going to keep going? that FPS can be smooth, it's not 60 FPS smooth, but it had no stuttering, that's the point.

So at what fps does it translate from "smooth" to "stuttering"?

I don't think you understand that something can not be smooth while also not stuttering.

Spoiler

Nightmare quality is not a separate entity, you exceed requirements.

Brains.

it says it needs 5 gbs of vram (it wouldnt even let me use those settings without a cheat) and the devs LITERALLY stated that they recommend a 1070 for it

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

it says it needs 5 gbs of vram (it wouldnt even let me use those settings without a cheat) and the devs LITERALLY stated that they recommend a 1070 for it

Recommended spec says 4GB GPU's, you happen to run it just fine on an RX 480 which is faster than either recommended GPU's with 4 GB VRam.

Not hard to understand why you run it fine?

LOL>?>>>???

Recommended spec says 4GB GPU's, you happen to run it just fine ion an RX 480 which is faster than either recommended GPU's with 4 GB VRam.

Not hard to understand why you run it fine?

LOL>?>>>???

jesus christ youre thick
it would not let me use nightmare quality becuase i have 4 gbs of vram

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

jesus christ youre thick
it would not let me use nightmare quality becuase i have 4 gbs of vram

You said you ran it fine on nightmare, so you lied, then called me thick?

Are you from Canada? i meet a lot of special fries from Canada.

8 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Up until a few months ago, I used to play on a Radeon 7770 Ghz edition with 1 GB of GDDR5 memory.

I could play EVERYTHING on 1920x1200 but with quality settings on medium-low. The new DOOM was almost unplayable though, used to get maybe 4-8 fps on Vulkan .. had to play it in something like 1280x600.

Upgraded to RX 470 with 4 GB of memory and fps jumped to 100+fps in DOOM.

Yeah, I would say you could still play at 1080p with just 2 GB of GDDR5 but you'd really have to lower the graphical settings. I'm not a fan of ultra/hyper quality settings because most of the time you won't notice much difference between HIGH and ULTRA settings on a cheap TN monitor.

Also, future games will be more and more optimized to play on consoles as well, where the games have 8 GB of memory (though shared with the cpu memory), so often games will go up to 3-5 GB of video memory on very high quality settings.

You said you ran it fine on nightmare, so you lied, then called me thick?

Are you from Canada? i meet a lot of special fries from Canada.

im seriously questioning your mental health
i said in a previous post that i used a cheat to unlock nightmare quality 
and i am canadian. linus is too

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

im seriously questioning your mental health
i said in a previous post that i used a cheat to unlock nightmare quality 
and i am canadian. linus is too

Linus is fine, you are not Linus.

You never said you used anything, you said under Vulkan Nightmare runs fine.

Remember i'm thick, but i know how to inform my audience with truth, interesting.

8 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

Linus is fine, you are not Linus.

You never said you used anything, you said under Vulkan Nightmare runs fine.

Remember i'm thick, but i know how to inform my audience with truth, interesting.

lmao

13700k, 3070, 32GB@3200

lmao

I skimmed past that post because before hand i wrote you off as a pretentious idiot.

Just saying. Being honest with you.

Hope you are not too sensitive.