amd Fx8320 vs ryzen whatever

Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,

Clockspeed isn't everything. Ryzen is a new architecture that is much better in terms of the IPC (instructions per clock) and therefore, all Ryzen CPUs preform better than basically all FX CPUs. 

HI, so I own amd fx8320 oc@4ghz, and seriously don't know why are the other new glorified processors so important, if they're promoted at relatively similar speeds?

How else is it better then? I know these are probably noobish questions, but still worth answering too...

MB: ASrock X570 Taichi

CPU:Ryzen 7 5800x

cpu cooler: Arctic liquid freezer II 420

RAM: 2x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600 DIMM CL16

GPU: GTX1070 strix

SSD: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC
SSD: 1000GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3 3D-NAND TLC
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB

case: Fractal meshify S2, 8x 140mm pwm fans (3 front, 2 down, 2 up, 1 back)

Psu: Be Quiet Straight power 11 650W

display: iiyama 27 144hz red eagle freesync

it isn't just clockspeed, it's instructions per clock and SMT that affect performance. 

so for example the 8350 is 40% slower in IPC according to AyyMD

idk

Just now, JerryBond said:

HI, so I own amd fx8320 oc@4ghz, and seriously don't know why are the other new glorified processors so important, if they're promoted at relatively similar speeds?

How else is it better then? I know these are probably noobish questions, but still worth answering too...

4ghz is just a number is doesn't mean anything by itself.  If you go by that alone an intel pentium 4 from the early/mid 2000s would be as fast and a new cpu.  What matters is the improvments that come with a newer architecture through the form of IPC (Instructions Per Clock).

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

they sayed that zen target was 40% improvement but the archived 52%

24 minutes ago, JerryBond said:

52% ipc increase over fx.

So basically (very basically because it doesn't work exactly like this) a

• fx 8 core @6.08ghz, would be equivalent to a ryzen at 4ghz.

It's all about how the silicon works together.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

19 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

52% ipc increase over fx.

So basically (very basically because it doesn't work exactly like this) a

• fx 8 core @6.08ghz, would be equivalent to a ryzen at 4ghz.

It's all about how the silicon works together.

An FX 9590 at 4.4GHz was slower clock for clock than my i5 4440......and the IPC of the FX series decreases the higher the clock speed is.

Edit: Its actually 5.4GHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

43 minutes ago, JerryBond said:

A Xeon X5450, which is 5 years older is faster (single threaded) clock for clock than the 8320. And the Xeon X5450 at 4.4GHz is about the equivalent of Ryzen at around 3.3GHz, which means that an FX 8320 (4 modules 8 cores) needs to be at around 5.4GHz to at least come close to a Ryzen 5 1400-and that's only if the program is designed to run on the FX 8320.
Otherwise the FX 8320 gets utterly destroyed by all of the Ryzen lineup, still gets destroyed by all non dual core i7, barely matches most uad core i5 in the majority of tasks and really only competes with i3.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Having just this week moved from 8320 @ 4.2GHz to Ryzen 7 1700 maybe I can give you some practical figures to help you out. I still plan on overclocking the Ryzen before making a dedicated post about it somewhere, but for this context OC'd 8320 vs. stock Ryzen should do fine.

Stock 1700 beats 8320 @ 4.2 by 103% (average) in CPU focused benchmarks (Geekbench, Cinebench, Novabench, PassMark CPU score). Overall I got 43% improvement (with overall benchmarks), but that includes anomalies from -1% (Shadow of Mordor) to a mere 5% improvement (Novabench HW score) and everything mostly unrelated between.

When it comes to regular gaming, the difference hasn't been very noticeable. I got +34% performance in BioShock Infinite, but overall score in Gears of War 4 didn't change at 1440p, since it's heavily bound by my GTX 1070 (CPU scores grew 27%). The 1700 vastly outshines 8320 in anything VR related: I had various issues playing with SteamVR, but with the 1700 all those issues are completely gone (maybe thanks to better optimization, I didn't experience performance issues with Oculus' own software even with 8320).

In practical terms, despite of what people will tell you, 8320 is still very competent processor in anything that takes advantage of it's cores (and more programs do that than people stuck in their presumptions would have you believe). What Ryzen does is greatly increase the IPC.

It also doesn't seem like anyone has pointed it out yet, but Ryzen introduces AMD's version of hyper threading, which further helps with anything that can utilise multiple cores.

If you are considering the Ryzen 7 1700 and have any particular scenario in mind, I would be more than happy to benchmark it for you. (I have 16 GB of RAM, GTX 1070 and an SSD).

7 hours ago, Ethocreeper said:

they sayed that zen target was 40% improvement but the archived 52%

It was 40% over Excavator, which was already faster than the last FX (Piledriver).

3 hours ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

It was 40% over Excavator, which was already faster than the last FX (Piledriver).

52% over excavator

there goal was 40&

24 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

thereir goal was 40&%

Their goal was 40% over Excavator.

Spoiler

Road-to-Zen_Architecture-Brief-10.png

30 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Their goal was 40% over Excavator.

Reveal hidden contents

Road-to-Zen_Architecture-Brief-10.png

OK and they managed to he 52 %

10 hours ago, Droidbot said:

it isn't just clockspeed, it's instructions per clock and SMT that affect performance. 

Gotta be careful with wording, percentages aren't reversible. Ryzen was targeted at 40% higher IPC than Excavator, that's not the same as Excavator being 40% lower than Ryzen.