What qualifies as a 'custom' computer?

Before making a post complaining about 'wrong section' it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

What qualifies as a 'custom' computer? I have some examples I'd like to discuss. This has been bothering me for while now.

Example one - "The case swap"

Taking an ordinary PC out of its OEM case and putting it in a new case. Is this now a custom PC, or is it just 'Dell Inspiron 545 in a Core 1000"?

Example two: the 'tweakening'

An ordinary PC, but with a few aftermarket parts. Swap the processor, add more RAM and maybe an aftermarket video card - is it still the same PC just upgraded, or is it now custom?

Example three: "Nothing left untouched"

This pretty much qualifies as 'replace everything but the motherboard'. Aftermarket RAM, PSU, GPU, CPU, and maybe some spray paint on the case. Only parts left untouched are the MB and the case (maybe). Is it custom now?

Example 4 - The Frankenstein Monster

Finally, after replacing all your parts in your OEM PC you find that the case is a bit tight. You've replaced everything but the motherboard, including the case fans and the CPU heat sink! You transfer your OEM motherboard into a new case so things are a bit roomier. But oh no! Did you trade your "Dell Optiplex" business case for PCMR status? Or is the Optiplex 7010 SFF motherboard keeping you from ascension?

Example 5 - the 'Refurb Demon'

You found an older PC in a dumpster, a Dell Precision workstation, but it looks like it's missing quite a bit. You think you have enough money to fix it up. You buy all of the 'original' parts, but alas, they are still 'replacement' parts from Amazon and not truly the originals. You've found the service tag and the work you've done has upgraded the machine considerably from its default configuration, however all of the parts are still OEM certified, be they from other models or another product line. Have you ascended to godhood, or are you still a lame consumer?

These are all questionable. I didn't include things like:

Custom PC in OEM case

Prebuilt custom PCs

Perfect OEM refurbished (100% original configuration from replacement parts)

What are your guys' thoughts? What defines a custom PC? Is it the RGB and water cooling or is it the feels of an aftermarket case?

Imo a custom pc is a pc that has something different than the OEM version.

If you have a pc and did something to it that isn't something it came with from the factory, it's a custom one :P

I draw the line there because you added something, you customized it to your needs and as soon as you do that, it's a custom one.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

IMHO it's the user's customisation to the machine. 

if I have a prebuilt and I've thrown in an LP 1050Ti and called it a day, it's still 'custom' - it's 'customised' by the end user.

idk

ex1: not really but its still custom

ex2, 3, 4, 5: yes

thats is. a case swap is on the line but seeing as its not an OEM system entirely and you had to assemble it yourself its a custom PC too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

To me, "custom" is doing something that you can't just buy off the shelf. Anyone can put PC parts in a case, doesn't really make it custom to me. I'd say a watercooling loop is custom as you have to actually arrange things to fit what you want, rather than just plugging things in to already determined slots. Things like custom mounting plates, mid-plates, custom sleeved cables (again, not ones you can just buy off the shelf) are what makes a "custom" PC to me. 

Hmm... I just think of these things as 'Dell Inspiron with a GTX 460", not a "Custom PC". One or two things doesn't seem to be enough to warrant the custom label to me, which is why I asked for a broader perspective.

Like on a forum if someone asked for a spec I'd just say 'Oh, I have a Dell Inspiron 545 but i put a GTX 460 in it."

Even if it has a line drawn on it with a Sharpe it's custom. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Wow you're really overthinking this... also many OEM motherboards are garbage and thus it's one of if not the first thing I'd replace if the CPU is going anyway.

IMO, its a custom build when it's not an OEM design.. thats to say the power & motherboard need to be replaced.. Case doesn't matter and a cpu is a cpu as is ram and storage, the OEM's do the same thing as you as far as those parts are concerned. It just so happens that most OEM boards have massively cut down features vs an off the shelf part and really shitty PSU's, hence they are what I consider to be core of an OEM build vs a custom build..

In taking an OEM build and adding to it / replacing parts... again, as the motherboards are often custom designs for their builds, I'd say it's XXXX model with / in etc

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

I don't think I've even heard the term "custom PC" uttered at all in recent memory.

Is this an actual concern?

Making something "custom" in any case means that you've made some change to the item beyond what the "off the shelf" version of it could be.

No matter how much or how little of a change it is.

Did you build your PC yourself, assembling it from all the individual components? Yes, it's custom.

Did you buy an off the shelf DELL and through a new graphics card at it? It's custom too.

Did you transplant that DELL into another (prettier) case? That's custom too.

I wouldn't over think this too much.

---

That's a bit of a philosophical question; kind of like asking "what's moral?".

None of the examples is wrong; it all just depends on who answers.

Personally, I'd call a PC "custom" if it was

a. built to spec on order by a professional

b. built by end-user. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Anything that has been changed by the user from the original specs.

Got 8gb and you change to 16gb, it's a custom build.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Some of these sound like simple upgrades. Like when I add 4GB of ram to my grandmas laptop, I just simply upgraded her and did really make her a custom PC. She still has a shit install of HP Windows 7 with 15+ 100% useless apps. So to me she doesn't have a custom PC now, she still has one of the worst pieces of machinery in the family. lmao

But i do understand it was still "Customized"

To me, custom is anything that would cause you to load / re-load your own operating system. If its pre-built and you put a stick of ram in it.... it still has all the downfalls of an OEM computer. And even a reinstall of OEM versions is a nightmare with all their customization. Its not quite as bad as it used to be, or when you by business grade hardware, they tend to lighten up on the bloatware.

If you upgrade the storage, cpu, chipset, etc. and have to reinstall OS and load your own drivers with no bloatware or useless power managers, battery doctors, smart safe lock useless things, more software, useless software, etc....

THEN its custom. You know what you put in it, and what you installed on it.

And as @RAM555789 said. If it voids the warranty, its also probably custom xD