So I actually need a 40mm fan...

aisle9

Are there any that don't sound like jet engines?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Just curious, what for? I agree with @W-L about the Noctua fan, though.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Here's 1213 of them : https://www.digikey.com/short/3ntjw2

Filtered by price and dimension (40mm by 40mm, remove filter if you want other sizes) ... you have 5v fans, 12v fans, 24v fans .. from around 3000 rpm and around 14dB all the way to 25000 rpm and painful 64dB.

The prices are for buying 10 of them, but you can buy 1 if you want only at slightly higher price - i set the results this way so the  table wouldn't be "polluted" with fans that have minimum order quantities in the hundreds (you get cheaper prices for such quantities so those fans would show up first making everything confusing).

Pick the amount of airflow you want, filter out voltages you don't want (maybe you don't want 5v fans) , maybe pick the type of bearing (for example ball bearing will be slightly noisier but more reliable long term), and also don't ignore 24v fans .. most of them can run from 12v+ but at lower speed (could be worth checking datasheets to see the noise level versus voltage on such fans, it can often be better than straight 12v fans noise)

29 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Just curious, what for? I agree with @W-L about the Noctua fan, though.

I built a sleeper i7/1050 Ti rig inside of an old HP slimline case. There's a thread in the build logs section. It has no case fans and could use one, but I don't want to ruin the look by putting a 92mm fan on the opening where it would, you know, make sense to put a fan. That limits me to a 40mm fan elsewhere. 

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

In that case you should also consider if it would be more convenient to use blower like fans (like you see in laptops) ... check the pictures in the link : https://www.digikey.com/short/3ntjvq

I have never met a blower fan that doesn't sound like a DC-9 doing a powerback out of the gate. 

32 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

I built a sleeper i7/1050 Ti rig inside of an old HP slimline case. There's a thread in the build logs section. It has no case fans and could use one, but I don't want to ruin the look by putting a 92mm fan on the opening where it would, you know, make sense to put a fan. That limits me to a 40mm fan elsewhere. 

A 40mm fan isn't going to help much. What are your current temps?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

A 40mm fan isn't going to help much. What are your current temps?

The CPU is golden. It's the GPU that has me mildly concerned. It's an MSI GTX 1050 Ti low-profile. I cranked up Furmark and Prime95 together for about ten minutes just to see what would happen. The CPU never broke 65 (it's a 6700T). The GPU leveled off right around 80C, and that's the temperature I'd like to bring down a hair if I can.

Just now, aisle9 said:

The CPU is golden. It's the GPU that has me mildly concerned. It's an MSI GTX 1050 Ti low-profile. I cranked up Furmark and Prime95 together for about ten minutes just to see what would happen. The CPU never broke 65 (it's a 6700T). The GPU leveled off right around 80C, and that's the temperature I'd like to bring down a hair if I can.

Furmark is about as heavy as it gets and 80c isn't that high especially given the lack of case airflow. Your temps are perfectly fine already.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Furmark is about as heavy as it gets and 80c isn't that high especially given the lack of case airflow. Your temps are perfectly fine already.

But...but...but...what else would I possibly tweak inside the case then?! :(

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

..Replace everything with noctuas?

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

..Replace everything with noctuas?

Actually, that Rosewill cooler does a remarkable job of keeping things extremely cool without making much noise at all. Almost all of the system noise is coming from the tiny little exhaust fan on the PSU. I'm impressed enough that I'm considering grabbing a couple more just to have around.

15 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

As said if t's going into a PC a larger fan or modifying the airflow, mainly intake into that system may be something to do. For example if you had the room adding an intake on the bottom of that case may help.