I don't understand these problems with my Mac?

Hi everyone,

I"m not much of a Mac person. Way more of a Windows person.

I have a MacBook Pro (2008) running El Capitan.

I get an Optimum Wifi pop up asking me to sign in like 3 times a day. iCloud repeatedly asks me to confirm my password for my email, over and over again.

One problem was the system clock. It was way off and so that seemed to invalidate security certificates for common websites like Google. Updating the system clock seemed to fix it.

Thanks for any help you can give. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Optimum Wifi must be a 3rd party app? It's certainly nothing i recognise...

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

2 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Optimum Wifi must be a 3rd party app? It's certainly nothing i recognise...

It's weird because I use Optimum, but I'm already logged into my preferred Network (SSID). The SSID the Optimum Wifi pop up seems to want is called "optimumwifi"

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

11 minutes ago, berderder said:

It's weird because I use Optimum, but I'm already logged into my preferred Network (SSID). The SSID the Optimum Wifi pop up seems to want is called "optimumwifi"

Optimumwifi is higher prioritiy than whatever wifi you're connected to, so it tries to connect to optimum wifi even if you're connected to another network, which requires a login. 

Open network preferences>advanced and make sure your wifi is listed above optimumwifi. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

9 minutes ago, berderder said:

well i don't know what Optimim is, but it sounds as though it's some sort of 3rd party app that isn't working as designed. I don't see this as a Mac problem.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

well i don't know what Optimim is, but it sounds as though it's some sort of 3rd party app that isn't working as designed. I don't see this as a Mac problem.

Optimum is an ISP, optimumwifi is a free (wifi) service they offer to any optimum user that gives you free access to wifi in certain locations (and that requires a login). The optimum app is just an app that allows you to watch tv on your computer (if you subscribe to optimum/optimum cable).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

Optimum is my Internet Provider. 

1 hour ago, berderder said:

I get an Optimum Wifi pop up asking me to sign in like 3 times a day. iCloud repeatedly asks me to confirm my password for my email, over and over again.

You can just disable iCloud in system preferences. Yes, it is annoying they have enabled these cloud services per default and opting out (while possible) is somewhat hidden.

In case you do want to use iCloud (you are not clear which is the case), have given your password and it doesn't stick / remember it, that sounds like a bug. Check that you have enabled all required options (for remembering the password) in the preferences. I guess that a flaky internet connection might cause the password reprompts....

Edited by Wild Penquin
Removed redundant IIRC

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like the wifi is dropping, which is causing Optimum to prompt you to log into the wifi again. Dropping the wifi would also cause iCloud to stop syncing, which is why its asking you for a password (it does that for whatever reason).

And yes a whole bunch of different things can get messed up if your system clock is off. Make sure thats correct before troubleshooting anything.