Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
_Rapid

The future of floatplane

Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP

Linus Media Group is investing substantial amounts into Floatplane.

The rundown:

• www.linusmediagroup.com is advertising a job vacancy for "Software Engineer" and it states it's for "Floatplane Media", which leads me to believe they they're primary job will be focusing on floatplane.
  • The average wage for Software Engineer in Canada is USD$51,850 (£41,272), which means they're probably investing this & more for the equipment required for whoever they hire.
  • The email which they ask you to apply to is "info@floatplaneclub.com", which means that Floatplane has it's own dedicated domain and web server. (Check it out, it's currently just a test page, though. http://floatplaneclub.com/)
  • This means they're either hosting it themselves (THE REASON FOR PETABYTE PROJECT!?!?!?!:?) or having someone else do it, a substantial cost nevertheless.

My beliefs:

Floatplane will not only be used my LinusMediaGroup, but will be a replacement for Vessel (for everyone)

I say this because of the "about" section in the job application.

"So, in the short-term, our goal is very simple. We'll build a platform for online video makers to deliver their content DIRECTLY to their audiences without the restrictions imposed by traditional online social media services. In the long term, however, Floatplane Media's more general mission is to develop really cool tools to reduce online creators' dependence on a single social platform and give them more time and resources to CREATE, while enriching the experience for their loyal communities with stable, elegant apps. It's win-win, so even if it doesn't soar it probably won't sink."

This means that Floatplane will become its own company, allowing many other content creators to use it. 

TLDR;

Floatplane will become it's own website not only for Linus, but for other content creators. And they're investing heavily too it.

I also have a feeling this is the purpose of petabyte project, but that's just a hunch.

Thanks for reading. Post thoughts below ↓ 

edit: Sauces:

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/job-vacancies/

http://floatplaneclub.com/

Edited by _Rapid
added sources

Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz

CPU Cooler: EK Water Loop - Pastel White Fluid

Video/Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan (+220 core, +225 mem, manual)

PSU: Corsair RM750i Modular PSU - with Silverstone white extensions

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (8GB x 2) @ 3000MHz

Peripherals:

• AOC 29" 1080p Monitor (2x)
  • ASUS ROG Cerberus Headset
  • Corsair K90 Keyboard
  • Corsair RGB Strafe Mouse

http://i.imgur.com/TxY11t7.gif

I was wondering when Linus would evolve his company into more of a literal media group instead of only LTT. LTT isn't going to last forever, but bringing on more YouTube channels and/or websites under his brand will benefit him more than just simply growing LTT itself.

Good decision.

Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Kloaked said:

I was wondering when Linus would evolve his company into more of a literal media group instead of only LTT. LTT isn't going to last forever, but bringing on more YouTube channels and/or websites under his brand will benefit him more than just simply growing LTT itself.

Good decision.

I agree. I also think that vessel was missed by many, who will be instantly attracted to this solution. There is a market for floatplane 100%.

Specs

Video/Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan (+220 core, +225 mem, manual)

Peripherals:

• Corsair K90 Keyboard

9 minutes ago, _Rapid said:

Linus Media Group is investing substantial amounts into Floatplane.

The rundown:

• www.linusmediagroup.com is advertising a job vacancy for "Software Engineer" and it states it's for "Floatplane Media", which leads me to believe they they're primary job will be focusing on floatplane.
  • The average wage for Software Engineer in Canada is USD$51,850 (£41,272), which means they're probably investing this & more for the equipment required for whoever they hire.
  • The email which they ask you to apply to is "info@floatplaneclub.com", which means that Floatplane has it's own dedicated domain and web server. (Check it out, it's currently just a test page, though. http://floatplaneclub.com/)
  • This means they're either hosting it themselves (THE REASON FOR PETABYTE PROJECT!?!?!?!:?) or having someone else do it, a substantial cost nevertheless.

My beliefs:

Floatplane will not only be used my LinusMediaGroup, but will be a replacement for Vessel (for everyone)

I say this because of the "about" section in the job application.

"So, in the short-term, our goal is very simple. We'll build a platform for online video makers to deliver their content DIRECTLY to their audiences without the restrictions imposed by traditional online social media services. In the long term, however, Floatplane Media's more general mission is to develop really cool tools to reduce online creators' dependence on a single social platform and give them more time and resources to CREATE, while enriching the experience for their loyal communities with stable, elegant apps. It's win-win, so even if it doesn't soar it probably won't sink."

This means that Floatplane will become its own company, allowing many other content creators to use it. 

TLDR;

Floatplane will become it's own website not only for Linus, but for other content creators. And they're investing heavily too it.

I also have a feeling this is the purpose of petabyte project, but that's just a hunch.

Thanks for reading. Post thoughts below ↓ 

edit: Sauces:

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/job-vacancies/

http://floatplaneclub.com/

That's nice, hope they don't ask creators a hefty fee

I NEEDED WINDOWS 10 64-BIT SO BADLYxD

The awesome build

Ram: DDR400 2.5 GB   GPU: It's big, that's all I know   Case: A red box   Motherboard: My mother hates me   HDD: I don't have one, I threw it against the wall and it broke, so it is a softdrive   CPU: Intel Pentium 3, Quake get's rekt   OS: Microshaft Winblows XP

Here comes a beast of a laptop, the TravelMate 5742, it's so bad (get the reference )

Ram : 4 GB DDR3 SDRAM  (1066Mhz)     CPU :  Intel Core i5 480M / 2.66 GHz (It turbo's up to 2.93 GHz)     GPU :  Intel HD Graphics     HDD : 500GB (5400 rpm) OS : Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit (Build 1607)

I think they've already stated that petabyte project is literally just because they're out of archive storage for the channels, don't think they would lie about that. And I think they've actually talked about expanding Floatplane into something that others could use before on WAN show, though I may be mistaken. 

Main System: i7-4790K (Stock) w/ Cryorig H5 | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | 240GB Sandisk Ultra II, 1TB WD Blue HDD | EVGA 650 P2 | Corsair Vengeance C70

Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-M40X

Mic: Blue Snowball

Keyboard: Magicforce 68 (MX Browns)

Mouse: Logitech G402

Monitors: LG 24MP58VQ, Dell E2414H, Dell E177FP

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L755D | A6-3420M | 8GB DDR3 | SSD Plus 240GB (something something SATA II bottleneck) | 10/10 Super HD 1366x768 TN Display

Home Server/NAS/Burst Mining machine: i5-4460 | 12GB DDR3 | Some Asus H81 board | Seasonic SS-350ET | 7TB of random drives

Not to mention I doubt, or I hope they wouldn't, use on-site storage for such a platform.

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I think they've already stated that petabyte project is literally just because they're out of archive storage for the channels, don't think they would lie about that. And I think they've actually talked about expanding Floatplane into something that others could use before on WAN show, though I may be mistaken. 

I don't seem to remember it on wanshow but I don't watch week in week out so I can't say anything about that. I think that petabyte could be used for both, as it is a whole petabyte of storage it doesn't all need to be used for the same thing.

Specs

Peripherals:

• Corsair K90 Keyboard

Just now, AUniqueName said:

Not to mention I doubt, or I hope they wouldn't, use on-site storage for such a platform.

Yeah. The test page says it's powered by CentOS and I believe Petabyte or one of their other servers was on CentOS, but probably just a coincidence. 

Main System: i7-4790K (Stock) w/ Cryorig H5 | EVGA GTX 1060 6GB | ASRock Z97 Extreme4 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | 240GB Sandisk Ultra II, 1TB WD Blue HDD | EVGA 650 P2 | Corsair Vengeance C70

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L755D | A6-3420M | 8GB DDR3 | SSD Plus 240GB (something something SATA II bottleneck) | 10/10 Super HD 1366x768 TN Display

Home Server/NAS/Burst Mining machine: i5-4460 | 12GB DDR3 | Some Asus H81 board | Seasonic SS-350ET | 7TB of random drives

Can't wait for the 3 part series on creating it, the 3 part series for a power-out where the UPS decides to not work and a 3 part series for when a RAID card fails but they keep all the data. That is, if floatplane gets hosted on one of their own servers.

Spoiler

Remember to quote me or tag me to get my attention in a post!

Spoiler

Yukuru (Main rig): R5 2400G | Noctua L9a | VTX R9 Nano 4GB | 2x8GB G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-2800 (@2400MHz) | ASRock A300M-STX | 128GB Plextor M6s + 2TB Seagate FireCuda 2TB 5400RPM SSHD | Delta 120W Power brick (Thanks @iamdarkyoshi) | Custom Case (Build log| MSX

Spoiler

Blast From the Past (Disassembled and decommissioned as of the 7th of December, 2016, you will be missed): Asus A8Js | C2D T7200 @ 2GHz | Nvidia Go 7700 512MB DDR2 | 2x1GB DDR2-667 Kingston RAM | Hitachi TravelStar 5K160 160GB 5400 HDD | Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13.3 inch late 2013 model i7-4558U (2C/4T @ 3.3GHz Turbo) Intel Iris 5100 graphics (1200MHz boosts) 8GB DDR3-1600 Soldered on 2560 x 1600 display (Looks very nice) Win7 Pro

Spoiler

Box (Brother's Rig): R5 1500X | Stock AMD Cooler | ASRock B450 Pro4 | Asus HD 7970 3GB Matrix Platinum | 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 | Crucial BX200 240GB | Aerocool Strike-X 500W | Win7 Home Premium

Spoiler

Spiky Box (Sister's Rig): G3258 | Cooler Master Seidon 120V V2 | Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark I | Sapphire R9 290X 4GB Vapor-X | 2x4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3-1600 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Corsair CX600 | Aerocool Xpredator X3 Red/Gold edition (My old case) | MSX 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Whitelist | PSU Tier List F@H stats | Mining Ethereum

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Can't wait for the 3 part series on creating it, the 3 part series for a power-out where the UPS decides to not work and a 3 part series for when a RAID card fails but they keep all the data. That is, if floatplane gets hosted on one of their own servers.

"Floatplane Status: Major service wide outage - our engineers are working to fix the problem. 

Update: Outage was caused by someone stepping on a power squid, sorry about that."

3 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

"Floatplane Status: Major service wide outage - our engineers are working to fix the problem. 

Update: Outage was caused by someone stepping on a power squid, sorry about that."

blamedennis.exe

10 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Good decision.

A similar situation is when Adam Montoya (SeaNanners) created his own MCN called JETPAK back in 2014.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA P2 650W

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 2x1TB 2x8TB Western Digital HDDs

inb4 it gets bought out by Verizon and shitcanned

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (CPUMark ~16,018)  RAM: 4× 16GiB G.Skill Trident Z DIMMs, CL16 @ 3200MHz  Motherboard: AORUS X399 Extreme GPU: XFX RX 580 + Zotac GeForce 1050 Ti + XFX RX 560 4GB Storage: 2× 1TB Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVMe SSDs + 4× 6TB Seagate IronWolf Pro HDDs  PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium modular ATX unit ∫ OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64, Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB, & BunsenLabs Helium (Debian derivative)

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q IPS LCD + 43” 2160p 16:9 LG 43UD79-B IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64 + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒ACTIVE】AMENEMHET (Lenovo ThinkPad X240)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U (CPUMark ~3,741) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 256GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in TN LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒BROKEN】SENUSRET II (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U (CPUMark ~5,132) RAM: 16GiB soldered DDR4 RAM Storage: Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Display: 14” 1440p 16:9 built-in OLED multitouch LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【RETIRED】SENUSRET (Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

【RETIRED】WASET (Sony VAIO)

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

Also, that average wage for a Software Engineer is appalling considering the qualifications required. Following the quarter-rent rule I would have enough to rent a low-end studio apartment in the Research Triangle… good luck supporting a family on that kind of pay.

The one and only CPU Buyer’s Guide??owl??The LGBT CommunityPower user of Arch Linux

〜 Some day, we’ll all be free 〜 Some day, we’ll live as one family in sweet harmony 〜

【㆒ACTIVE】HETEPSENUSRET

CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1900X (CPUMark ~16,018)  RAM: 4× 16GiB G.Skill Trident Z DIMMs, CL16 @ 3200MHz  Motherboard: AORUS X399 Extreme GPU: XFX RX 580 + Zotac GeForce 1050 Ti + XFX RX 560 4GB Storage: 2× 1TB Plextor M8Pe PCIe NVMe SSDs + 4× 6TB Seagate IronWolf Pro HDDs  PSU: SeaSonic PRIME 1000W 80+ Titanium modular ATX unit ∫ OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64, Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB, & BunsenLabs Helium (Debian derivative)

【RETIRED】HENEN–NESW

CPU: Intel Core i3–6100 (CPUMark ~5,474)  RAM: 1× 16GiB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 DIMMs, CL12 @ 2400MHz  Motherboard: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming mainboard  Storage: Intel 535 Series 240GB SATA III SSD  PSU: SeaSonic 400W 80+ Platinum fanless modular ATX unit  Display: 27” 1440p 16:9 ASUS PB278Q IPS LCD + 43” 2160p 16:9 LG 43UD79-B IPS LCD  Keyboard: Qisan Magicforce 68-key backlit keyboard + Cherry MX Brown switches Mouse: Microsoft IntelliMouse Classic OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64 + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒ACTIVE】AMENEMHET (Lenovo ThinkPad X240)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4300U (CPUMark ~3,741) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 256GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in TN LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【㆒BROKEN】SENUSRET II (Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-7300U (CPUMark ~5,132) RAM: 16GiB soldered DDR4 RAM Storage: Samsung 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD Display: 14” 1440p 16:9 built-in OLED multitouch LCD OS: Arch Linux + Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB

【RETIRED】SENUSRET (Lenovo ThinkPad S1 Yoga)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4200U (CPUMark ~3,267) RAM: 8GiB soldered DDR3L RAM Storage: Unknown 128GB SATA III SSD Display: 12.5” 1080p 16:9 built-in IPS multitouch LCD OS: RemixOS (Android for PC), version 3.0.207

【RETIRED】TYRE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 (CPUMark ~2,826)  Motherboard: Gateway/Acer OEM, µATX-compatible proprietary forme factor RAM: 4× 2GiB Green-PCB Generic DDR2 DIMMs  Storage: 500GB WD Green replacement HDD OS: Microsoft Windows Vista SP2

【RETIRED】WASET (Sony VAIO)

CPU: Intel Core i5–2450M (CPUMark ~3,404)  RAM: 2× 4GiB Green-PCB Samsung DDR3 SODIMMs  Storage: Intel 520 Series “Cherryville” 120GB SSD + WD Black 2.5” 750GB HDD  Display: 14” 768p 16:9 built-in TN LCD  OS: Crunchbang-like Arch Linux x86-64

3 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

inb4 it gets bought out by Verizon and shitcanned

We know that Linus is all about dem benjamins so there is a pretty good chance for that xD

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

Also, that average wage for a Software Engineer is appalling considering the qualifications required. Following the quarter-rent rule I would have enough to rent a low-end studio apartment in the Research Triangle… good luck supporting a family on that kind of pay.

This

10 hours ago, _Rapid said:

The average wage for Software Engineer in Canada is USD$51,850

I am sure Linus is not spending that kind of money on a new hire.

Probably put up with a less skilled worker for half that.

3 minutes ago, yathis said:

I am sure Linus is not spending that kind of money on a new hire.

Probably put up with a less skilled worker for half that.

This too.

LMG seems to pull in people in school or right out of school or pull them from school.

Just now, Eric The Tech Guru said:

This too.

LMG seems to pull in people in school or right out of school or pull them from school.

Yes no old farts, or middle aged 40+

How olds Linus? 32ish

Who is the next oldest dude in the Linus lineup?

Could very well be age discrimination, with lots of people out of work.

Just now, yathis said:

Yes no old farts, or middle aged 40+

How olds Linus? 32ish

Who is the next oldest dude in the Linus lineup?

Could very well be age discrimination, with lots of people out of work.

Linus is 30, the company is really young and makes sense mostly to younger people.

Having YouTube as a job isn't something a lot of older people would apply to, especially if they're targeting people who will work for less to gain experience.

10 hours ago, _Rapid said:

My beliefs:

Linus has already talked about this quite a few times in the past.

All aboard the Floatplane!

Gaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Flare X 32GB (16GBx2) | NVIDIA GTX 1080 8GB FE | Fractal Design Node 202 | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD

Streaming PC: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 | AMD Wraith Stealth | ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac | G.Skill Aegis X 8GB (4GBx2) | ASRock Phantom Gaming Radeon RX 550 | Fractal Design Node 202 | Mushkin Enhanced Source 500GB M.2 SSD

Daily Driver: ODroid H2 | Intel Celeron J4105 | G.SKILL Ripjaws 16GB (8GBx2) | HardKernel Type 2 Case | Intel SSD 600p 128GB NVMe SSD

Petabyte project is local storage to store their shoots. Basically their hearts and soul of LMG

While Floatplaneclub.com hosted on separate hosting solutions.

It is going through cloudflare, perhaps for CDN and anti-DDOS attack

but searching through crimeflare, we will get 2 IPs :

• 2017-03-11: floatplaneclub.com 192.99.29.169 CANADA
  • 2017-03-08: floatplaneclub.com 184.168.221.63 UNITED STATES

which, when you do whois turns out Canada IP belongs to OVH hosting and US IP belongs to Go-Daddy

So, Yes, LMG Invest heavily on replacing vessel, by creating THEIR own vessel, because YOLO right :) And because they can, and I think they can have more financial benefit from this, in case YouTube decided to ditch everybody someday.

and No, Project Petabyte won't be used for hosting future Float Plane Club or Vessel replacer

floatplaneclub.png

fpc-godaddy.png

fpc-ovh.png