The future of floatplane

Linus Media Group is investing substantial amounts into Floatplane.

The rundown:

• www.linusmediagroup.com is advertising a job vacancy for "Software Engineer" and it states it's for "Floatplane Media", which leads me to believe they they're primary job will be focusing on floatplane.
  • The average wage for Software Engineer in Canada is USD$51,850 (£41,272), which means they're probably investing this & more for the equipment required for whoever they hire.
  • The email which they ask you to apply to is "info@floatplaneclub.com", which means that Floatplane has it's own dedicated domain and web server. (Check it out, it's currently just a test page, though. http://floatplaneclub.com/)
  • This means they're either hosting it themselves (THE REASON FOR PETABYTE PROJECT!?!?!?!:?) or having someone else do it, a substantial cost nevertheless.

My beliefs:

Floatplane will not only be used my LinusMediaGroup, but will be a replacement for Vessel (for everyone)

I say this because of the "about" section in the job application.

"So, in the short-term, our goal is very simple. We'll build a platform for online video makers to deliver their content DIRECTLY to their audiences without the restrictions imposed by traditional online social media services. In the long term, however, Floatplane Media's more general mission is to develop really cool tools to reduce online creators' dependence on a single social platform and give them more time and resources to CREATE, while enriching the experience for their loyal communities with stable, elegant apps. It's win-win, so even if it doesn't soar it probably won't sink."

This means that Floatplane will become its own company, allowing many other content creators to use it. 

TLDR;

Floatplane will become it's own website not only for Linus, but for other content creators. And they're investing heavily too it.

I also have a feeling this is the purpose of petabyte project, but that's just a hunch.

Thanks for reading. Post thoughts below ↓ 

edit: Sauces:

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/job-vacancies/

http://floatplaneclub.com/

Edited by _Rapid
added sources

Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.6GHz

CPU Cooler: EK Water Loop - Pastel White Fluid

Video/Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan (+220 core, +225 mem, manual)

PSU: Corsair RM750i Modular PSU - with Silverstone white extensions

RAM: 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum (8GB x 2) @ 3000MHz

Peripherals:

• AOC 29" 1080p Monitor (2x)
  • ASUS ROG Cerberus Headset
  • Corsair K90 Keyboard
  • Corsair RGB Strafe Mouse

http://i.imgur.com/TxY11t7.gif

I was wondering when Linus would evolve his company into more of a literal media group instead of only LTT. LTT isn't going to last forever, but bringing on more YouTube channels and/or websites under his brand will benefit him more than just simply growing LTT itself.

Good decision.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I was wondering when Linus would evolve his company into more of a literal media group instead of only LTT. LTT isn't going to last forever, but bringing on more YouTube channels and/or websites under his brand will benefit him more than just simply growing LTT itself.

Good decision.

I agree. I also think that vessel was missed by many, who will be instantly attracted to this solution. There is a market for floatplane 100%.

Specs

Video/Graphics Card: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Single Fan (+220 core, +225 mem, manual)

Peripherals:

• Corsair K90 Keyboard

9 minutes ago, _Rapid said:

Linus Media Group is investing substantial amounts into Floatplane.

The rundown:

• www.linusmediagroup.com is advertising a job vacancy for "Software Engineer" and it states it's for "Floatplane Media", which leads me to believe they they're primary job will be focusing on floatplane.
  • The average wage for Software Engineer in Canada is USD$51,850 (£41,272), which means they're probably investing this & more for the equipment required for whoever they hire.
  • The email which they ask you to apply to is "info@floatplaneclub.com", which means that Floatplane has it's own dedicated domain and web server. (Check it out, it's currently just a test page, though. http://floatplaneclub.com/)
  • This means they're either hosting it themselves (THE REASON FOR PETABYTE PROJECT!?!?!?!:?) or having someone else do it, a substantial cost nevertheless.

My beliefs:

Floatplane will not only be used my LinusMediaGroup, but will be a replacement for Vessel (for everyone)

I say this because of the "about" section in the job application.

"So, in the short-term, our goal is very simple. We'll build a platform for online video makers to deliver their content DIRECTLY to their audiences without the restrictions imposed by traditional online social media services. In the long term, however, Floatplane Media's more general mission is to develop really cool tools to reduce online creators' dependence on a single social platform and give them more time and resources to CREATE, while enriching the experience for their loyal communities with stable, elegant apps. It's win-win, so even if it doesn't soar it probably won't sink."

This means that Floatplane will become its own company, allowing many other content creators to use it. 

TLDR;

Floatplane will become it's own website not only for Linus, but for other content creators. And they're investing heavily too it.

I also have a feeling this is the purpose of petabyte project, but that's just a hunch.

Thanks for reading. Post thoughts below ↓ 

edit: Sauces:

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/job-vacancies/

http://floatplaneclub.com/

That's nice, hope they don't ask creators a hefty fee

I think they've already stated that petabyte project is literally just because they're out of archive storage for the channels, don't think they would lie about that. And I think they've actually talked about expanding Floatplane into something that others could use before on WAN show, though I may be mistaken. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

Not to mention I doubt, or I hope they wouldn't, use on-site storage for such a platform.

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I think they've already stated that petabyte project is literally just because they're out of archive storage for the channels, don't think they would lie about that. And I think they've actually talked about expanding Floatplane into something that others could use before on WAN show, though I may be mistaken. 

I don't seem to remember it on wanshow but I don't watch week in week out so I can't say anything about that. I think that petabyte could be used for both, as it is a whole petabyte of storage it doesn't all need to be used for the same thing.

Specs

Peripherals:

• Corsair K90 Keyboard

Just now, AUniqueName said:

Not to mention I doubt, or I hope they wouldn't, use on-site storage for such a platform.

Yeah. The test page says it's powered by CentOS and I believe Petabyte or one of their other servers was on CentOS, but probably just a coincidence. 

Can't wait for the 3 part series on creating it, the 3 part series for a power-out where the UPS decides to not work and a 3 part series for when a RAID card fails but they keep all the data. That is, if floatplane gets hosted on one of their own servers.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Can't wait for the 3 part series on creating it, the 3 part series for a power-out where the UPS decides to not work and a 3 part series for when a RAID card fails but they keep all the data. That is, if floatplane gets hosted on one of their own servers.

"Floatplane Status: Major service wide outage - our engineers are working to fix the problem. 

Update: Outage was caused by someone stepping on a power squid, sorry about that."

3 minutes ago, AUniqueName said:

"Floatplane Status: Major service wide outage - our engineers are working to fix the problem. 

Update: Outage was caused by someone stepping on a power squid, sorry about that."

blamedennis.exe

10 hours ago, Kloaked said:

Good decision.

A similar situation is when Adam Montoya (SeaNanners) created his own MCN called JETPAK back in 2014.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

3 minutes ago, Nicholatian said:

inb4 it gets bought out by Verizon and shitcanned

We know that Linus is all about dem benjamins so there is a pretty good chance for that xD

1 minute ago, Nicholatian said:

Also, that average wage for a Software Engineer is appalling considering the qualifications required. Following the quarter-rent rule I would have enough to rent a low-end studio apartment in the Research Triangle… good luck supporting a family on that kind of pay.

This

10 hours ago, _Rapid said:

The average wage for Software Engineer in Canada is USD$51,850

I am sure Linus is not spending that kind of money on a new hire.

Probably put up with a less skilled worker for half that.

3 minutes ago, yathis said:

I am sure Linus is not spending that kind of money on a new hire.

Probably put up with a less skilled worker for half that.

This too.

LMG seems to pull in people in school or right out of school or pull them from school.

Just now, Eric The Tech Guru said:

This too.

LMG seems to pull in people in school or right out of school or pull them from school.

Yes no old farts, or middle aged 40+

How olds Linus? 32ish

Who is the next oldest dude in the Linus lineup?

Could very well be age discrimination, with lots of people out of work.

Just now, yathis said:

Yes no old farts, or middle aged 40+

How olds Linus? 32ish

Who is the next oldest dude in the Linus lineup?

Could very well be age discrimination, with lots of people out of work.

Linus is 30, the company is really young and makes sense mostly to younger people.

Having YouTube as a job isn't something a lot of older people would apply to, especially if they're targeting people who will work for less to gain experience.

10 hours ago, _Rapid said:

My beliefs:

Linus has already talked about this quite a few times in the past.

-KuJoe

• 2 weeks later...

Petabyte project is local storage to store their shoots. Basically their hearts and soul of LMG

While Floatplaneclub.com hosted on separate hosting solutions.

It is going through cloudflare, perhaps for CDN and anti-DDOS attack

but searching through crimeflare, we will get 2 IPs :

• 2017-03-11: floatplaneclub.com 192.99.29.169 CANADA
  • 2017-03-08: floatplaneclub.com 184.168.221.63 UNITED STATES

which, when you do whois turns out Canada IP belongs to OVH hosting and US IP belongs to Go-Daddy

So, Yes, LMG Invest heavily on replacing vessel, by creating THEIR own vessel, because YOLO right :) And because they can, and I think they can have more financial benefit from this, in case YouTube decided to ditch everybody someday.

and No, Project Petabyte won't be used for hosting future Float Plane Club or Vessel replacer

floatplaneclub.png

fpc-godaddy.png

fpc-ovh.png

• 1 year later...
1 minute ago, imkvinayan said:

I think they are going for a parallel thing to YouTube

This is a year old topic...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.