So overclocking monitors.....

arbellason55

Well my gtx 1070 is kinda sad pushing games at 1920X1080 @ 60hz so I was wondering how would one overclock their monitor in a safe way. My monitor is this one https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS228H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO . Any suggestions?

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

Let me guess, you are hoping to overclock it to like 100hz. I'm sorry to say, because I am in the same boat, but you would be lucky to get it to 67hz and you will be risking bugs like screen tearing or frame drops. 

Buy a better monitor?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd settle for 61 hz, just looking for something higher than 60 :p.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

Just now, Enderman said:

Buy a better monitor?

Well I don't really feel like selling a kidney this early on, college has gladly taken my money from me.

System

1 minute ago, arbellason55 said:

searching monitor overclocking will bring up a host of videos on youtube.

23 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

That's going to make NO difference whatsoever. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That's going to make NO difference whatsoever. 

It's not so much as getting a higher refresh rate but more of a I can get a higher refresh rate thing.

System

2 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

It's not so much as getting a higher refresh rate but more of a I can get a higher refresh rate thing.

Even if you do get 1Hz higher, you won't notice it. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Even if you do get 1Hz higher, you won't notice it. 

I am already well aware of that.

System

Basic rundown: use nvidia control panel to make custom resolutions. (I used AMD because I have an rx 470 but I am like 85 percent certain this will work in the nvidia control panel).   In the "custom resolutions) customization menu, ignore all the extra timings and whatnot, just look for refresh rate.  Make a resolution for each refresh rate bump, going up 5hz at a time. (One for 65, one for 70, one for 75, etc.)   Then in windows advanced display settings, disable the checkbox that says "hide settings this display doesn't support" (or something like that).  After that, you should see your custom resolutions available to choose.  Start bumping up one at a time. If the display goes blank and comes back on within a few seconds, you know it works. If it does not come on for several seconds, do not fret, you've just passed your limit. The display will come back to previous settings within 15 seconds.   From there you should be able to deduce your limit, and voila!  I managed to bump my old monitor up from 60hz to 77hz a couple weeks ago, and my research prior to the endeavor showed it's basically harmless. No reports of panels being fried have seen the light of day.   The only thing is that color accuracy can be thrown off the higher you go, so if you're a picture freak that may be an issue for you.    Good luck!

Also worth noting that you may be more successful using dual link DVI or DisplayPort. 

9 hours ago, Darron D said:

Basic rundown: use nvidia control panel to make custom resolutions. (I used AMD because I have an rx 470 but I am like 85 percent certain this will work in the nvidia control panel).   In the "custom resolutions) customization menu, ignore all the extra timings and whatnot, just look for refresh rate.  Make a resolution for each refresh rate bump, going up 5hz at a time. (One for 65, one for 70, one for 75, etc.)   Then in windows advanced display settings, disable the checkbox that says "hide settings this display doesn't support" (or something like that).  After that, you should see your custom resolutions available to choose.  Start bumping up one at a time. If the display goes blank and comes back on within a few seconds, you know it works. If it does not come on for several seconds, do not fret, you've just passed your limit. The display will come back to previous settings within 15 seconds.   From there you should be able to deduce your limit, and voila!  I managed to bump my old monitor up from 60hz to 77hz a couple weeks ago, and my research prior to the endeavor showed it's basically harmless. No reports of panels being fried have seen the light of day.   The only thing is that color accuracy can be thrown off the higher you go, so if you're a picture freak that may be an issue for you.    Good luck!

Thanks for the guide, I'm not too concerned about my monitor's longevity as I've got a few dead pixels which Asus will not cover as I need 5 for it be covered with the warranty. 

9 hours ago, Darron D said:

Also worth noting that you may be more successful using dual link DVI or DisplayPort. 

I use dvi so hopefully it'll work. I'll post what I was able to push it to tonight.

System