Looking for a nice, lightweight, free antivirus software

Not for personal use you see, for my job.

We used to have Avast free on almost all machines in here, but lately it has been conflicting with some software we normally use, like the SafeSign certificates for Gemalto smart cards and Vasco/Smartnonus smart card readers and their respective drivers.

It doesn't have to be fancy, just a simple software that will prevent malware infested usb sticks from infecting the machines, which is our biggest concern, it doesn't need to have e-mail or web protection.

Is there anything out there that will do this job.

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes (or throw Spybot Search and Destroy into the mix if you wish).

The active protection with these is not available in free version unfortunately, you will have to do manual scans. But they are reliable, especially Malwarebytes is one of the best if not the best.

20 minutes ago, Jskn said:

Malware bytes?

17 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Windows Defender + Malwarebytes (or throw Spybot Search and Destroy into the mix if you wish).

The active protection with these is not available in free version unfortunately, you will have to do manual scans.

7 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Windows Defender does a good enough job if you're not prowling on questionable websites and opening suspect emails.

If you want an extra layer of security, I recommend Malwarebytes.

Following the recommendations, i'm testing the Malwarebytes, it seems good so far!

Project Diesel 5.0: Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming /// CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X  /// CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 /// GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme RTX 2070 /// RAM: 2x 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V @3200mhz /// Chassis: Lian Li Lancool One Digital (black) /// PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750w /// Storage: Inland Premium 1TB NVME + Toshiba X300 4TB

Peripherals: Mice: Cooler Master MM720 /// Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK2 SE (Cherry Silver), Blitzwolf BW-KB1 (Gateron Reds) /// Monitor: Acer XZ320Q 32' (VA, 1080p @240hz) /// AMP: Topping PA3 (Onkyo Integra A-817XD undergoing restoration) /// DAC: Weiliang SU5 /// Speakers: AAT BSF-100 /// Mike: Alctron CS35U /// Headphones: Blon B8, ISK MDH-9000

Living room: TV: Samsung QLED Q7FN 55' 4k /// Amplifier: Denon AVR-X2400H /// Speakers: DALI Zensor 7 /// Consoles: Sony PS4 Pro 1TB, Sony PS3 500gb /// LD/CD/DVD: Pioneer DVL-909 /// Power Supplies: Upsai ACF-2100T + GR Savage CDR2200EX

2 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

Following the recommendations, i'm testing the Malwarebytes, it seems good so far!

It'll catch whatever you throw at it. Just manually scan if you need to that bad on a usb. 

Windows defender works good. Personally I use avast (free version, not trial not premium) and works good too and Its very light weight!

3 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

Windows defender works good. Personally I use avast (free version, not trial not premium) and works good too and Its very light weight!

We were using Avast before, but like i said, it has been messing around with some smart card and smart card readers certificates we've been using.

36 minutes ago, Chevy_Monsenhor said:

We were using Avast before, but like i said, it has been messing around with some smart card and smart card readers certificates we've been using.

Oh, sorry I over read you post and then I totally forgot! My apologies.

Just use Windows Defender, it's easy to be fooled by antivirus websites saying that you need antivirus software, but in reality you really don't.  And antivirus software that is poorly maintained, like many of the free ones can even cause security issues.  Avast and AVG are by far the best and also most popular free antiviruses out there, but they also have issues and are more buggy and offer less protection than the good paid options in my opinion.  Bitdefender is a good antivirus if you want to pay for one, but you don't need it. And so I don't suggest doing so.  

If you want additional protection to Windows Defender, malwarebytes might work, but it's better to implement something like DNS filtering through an external DNS service like OpenDNS provided you have a server in your country, which is most developed countries.    

All anti-virus software is horribly heavy on resources. That's what it has to be like in order to perform the tasks you want it to perform.

Write in C.