What graphics card should I get?

Neo1234

Hello guys!

Unfortunately my trusty old GTX 670 just broke down, leaving my computer without that sweet performance needed for gaming. As my computer is 4 years old at the moment, I assumed that I needed to upgrade and renew the entire rig to make it functional again. After discussing this with some "techies" and looking around online, it seems that this is not the case at all! Currently I am running a watercooled i5 3470 @ 3.2 ghz, 8 gigs of ram (1600 mhz I think), a no-name MSI mobo and a 500w powersupply. I was recommended a GTX 1060 as a new card and according to the internet it should be a pretty solid choice without all too much bottleneck. I am not planning to do any heavier gaming than Overwatch at the moment, but would love to at least be able to play the current games at medium (or better ofc) settings at 60 fps. It would also be very nice if the card was rather future proof, so I don't have to buy a new card the next time I need to upgrade the rest of the system.

So what I need now are some tips. Is this the right way to go? Am I better of purchasing a 900-series card, or maybe an AMD one? Am I better off waiting for the next lineup of GPU's altogether? 

Also, I am a bit confused as to the different 1060 models... What are the differences between the 6b or the 3gb model, that would be relevant in my case?

I am also thinking about upgrading to 16gb of ram, as I notice that my ram is usually quite heavily taxed. How do you guys think that would pair with me getting a new card? Significant difference or nah?

I am gaming at 1080p btw in case that makes a major difference for some reason...

Cheers!

the gtx 1060 3gb, is a cut down version of the 6gb, so it performs slower, also, the best Price/performance Ratio would be the RX 480, antyhing basically, gtx 1060 or rx 480/470 will perfectly game at 60fps 1080 ANY GAME, unless you can find a GTX 980 for 200 usd, i'd stay away from the 900 series, since the 1060 and rx 480 will outperform the gtx 970 or R9 390 in 95% of the scenarios

Main PC:| CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 4.1, MOBO: Asus B350 PRIME , RAM: LPX Vengance 2400 16gb kit, GPU: 980Ti Poseidon Platinum 6gb
                PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold Evolution 1200w , CASE: HAF 932  HDDs:240gb EX900 HP NVME 6TB (2x3 Seagate Barracuda)
                COOLING: ThermalTake Contac Silent 12
Laptop:MSI GL62 7RD  CPU: Core i5 7300HQ, RAM: 16GB 2400mhz, :GPU GTX 1050 2GB: HDDs: 256gb adata NVME + 1TB HDD

love all brands, will go for whats cheaper for my needs

Unless there are specific games you play in which the 1060 outperforms the 480, the 480 is generally better.  Another option is a Sapphire Nitro Fury.  It's just about the best price-to-performance card out there at the moment.  The only concern is that you may be stressing your PSU a bit with that card.  I'll check how much power my system draws on average when I get home, but my system is a-okay, and I have a 650 watt PSU.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

2 minutes ago, N3v3r3nding_N3wb said:

Another option is a Sapphire Nitro Fury.  It's just about the best price-to-performance card out there at the moment.  The only concern is that you may be stressing your PSU a bit with that card.  I'll check how much power my system draws on average when I get home, but my system is a-okay, and I have a 650 watt PSU.

Yeah, scratch that.  I misread and thought that you had a 600 watt PSU.  There's no way a 500 watt PSU will support that.

Royal Rumble: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/N3v3r3nding_N3wb/saved/#view=NR9ycf

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." -- Adolf Hitler

"I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught." -- Winston Churchill

"We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -- Martin Luther King Jr.

12 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

used GTX 980 ti

On a 500W PSU? 980 Ti reference model recommends 600W or more. Not to mention what a aftermarket model might require. Yes obviously total power draw would be less than 500W but if its a cheap PSU then it might be a bad idea. 

Get the RX 480, OP. Or upgrade PSU and get something a bit more powerful.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

1 minute ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Assuming it isn't a shitty 500w PSU, he will be fine. Just look at anandtechs real-world testing for system power consumption of the 980 ti:

Image result for gtx 980 ti power consumption

I think it would be cutting it close considering load power draw of a 3470 is near 100W. He'd be hitting 500W nearly bang on. Not to mention the watercooler also drawing power as well as other parts in the computer.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Wow guys thanks for the quick replies! 

It seems you are leaning towards a rx 480. Where I live (Sweden), the 1060 3gb model and the rx 480 4gb models are priced fairly similar and in the benchmarks I have seen the 1060 outeperforms the 480 almost always. Am I still better off getting a 480, considering the pricepoint? I should also have mentioned I am looking at the 250 dollar priceclass!

Cheers!

Which psu do you have?

Because I got a crappy 500w psu that won't be able to play games with my gtx 1060.

If you want a card that will also support new games (idk for how much long) so go with rx 480 (and that also about 10% better than the 1060 - so I was told).

About the ram, I assume you have DDR3. You could add more even though 8gb is enough for gaming, but I'd just upgrade to DDR4.

Edit:

If you are leaning to rx 480 i'd go for 8gb. But thats my opinion, since it won't hurt to have more vram for the future

8 minutes ago, Neo1234 said:

Wow guys thanks for the quick replies! 

It seems you are leaning towards a rx 480. Where I live (Sweden), the 1060 3gb model and the rx 480 4gb models are priced fairly similar and in the benchmarks I have seen the 1060 outeperforms the 480 almost always. Am I still better off getting a 480, considering the pricepoint? I should also have mentioned I am looking at the 250 dollar priceclass!

Cheers!

the benchmarks are most likely for the 1060 6GB. not the less powerful 3GB model.

plus, AMD has refined their drivers and the RX 480 is really good now.

get the RX 480 4GB. it's perfect for 1080p gaming at ultra settings.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Al right! Last question: do you think my 500 watt psu could run a 480x? I have a Silverpower SP SS500. 

Thanks for the help!

49 minutes ago, Neo1234 said:

Al right! Last question: do you think my 500 watt psu could run a 480x? I have a Silverpower SP SS500. 

Thanks for the help!

There are a few decent PSU consumption calculators out there. I use Corsair's;

http://www.coolermaster.com/power-supply-calculator/

I've taken a reading off my system when up and running and always found this to be accurate.

5950 - 3090 - 32gb - Aorus FV43U - Steam Deck - Fuji xPro 3 - Olympus OM1 n