Sketchiest DIY Heatsink EVER

At least he made sure that the test bench was within three feet of where he was working. Can't beg for more motherboards if you don't fry the first one

This was only slightly educational, so to speak. But from an entertainment point of view, it was the best in a while.

"Super youtuber, 10/10, would watch again" :P 

Handmade CPU cooler... 

At least you can sell it on etsy for a good price? 

9 hours ago, Factory OC said:

I just don't focus on them anymore, just watch the content.

Yea me too, I'm going to watch it as a fan either way, but I don't know how the obnoxious thumbnails get more views.  The click-bait titles have been proven to get more people interested in the video, and some where ironically funny. AT least the video description is fine. 

I really would have liked to see maze structured aluminum 3D printed heatsing thing, but oh well, hacksaw it is I guess :D

i wasn't really shocked by the performance of this thing, what really amazed me was that Linus didn't get bored of sawing that block.

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Why not do a video like 'Best CPU Air Cooler 2017' instead? This just seems like a waste of time.

The thumbnails have been getting worse, and now the titles are starting to go also. I just really hope that you guys don't go out of your way to create the new thumbnails.

I keep watching because I'm usually very interested in the content of the video. And the old thumbnails/titles used to give me  rough idea of what the video was about, but now, with this video, I don't get such a good idea. For example, initially, I couldn't tell what this this video would be exactly about. Based off title, I assumed maybe it was a bargain bin heat sink or something like that, one that was so cheap you couldn't tell if it was real aluminium or something like that. Then I saw the thumbnail and thought "Oh no, why does Linus have a hacksaw? Must be a DIY video.". 

TL;DR: Would it have been so problematic to title the video something relevant like "DIY Heat Sink" or something like that?

On 3/19/2017 at 0:47 PM, nicklmg said:

Buy CPU cooler on Amazon: http://geni.us/j6k84gX

Can you make your own heatsink? Hell yeah! Should you? Let's find out...

What is the link to buy the block of Aluminium as I want to try to make my own heatsink?

It would be even more helpful if the link is for the same sized block.

Thanks

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, this is my version of the same project... Turned out a little better than LTT's one !!!

I used a Radial Arm Saw and a vise to obtain this result in about 30 minutes... A table saw would do the same job.

The Saw's table I used has been modified for metal work (T-slotted framing) but the same can be obtained with a regular sawing table and a good "Triple-chip Grind" carbide tips blade.

If the shape seems odd for a CPU, that is because it is not used for a cpu... It is going to cool a prototype electronic power supply at my job...(R&D)

Have a nice one.

IMG_20170712_112504.jpg

IMG_20170712_103523.jpg

If it has been done before, I can do it...

If it has never been done, just leave me some time to find a way!