EVGA SuperNOVA

Go to solution Solved by bgibbz,
14 minutes ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Some say to get the cheapest one

This is what NOT to do. The psu is the only part in a pc that on failure, can kill multiple parts with it. Definitely invest in a good PSU. Good ones also have long lifespans of about 10 years, so you can use them in multiple builds, especially since the technology hasn't changed much. I would purchase at least a tier 3 from this list - 

I'm having trouble picking a psu. Some say to get the cheapest one and others say to spend +$150. I've picked the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 but I don't know if its any good or if 650W is even enough for a GTX 1070 and i5-7600k. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

{EDIT}

I've decided to go with the SuperNOVA G2 650

Edited by TheBloodedEagle

Depends, the evga NEX(G1) is mediocre, the g2/g3 is excellent.

EVGA's GQ, GS, G2, PS, P2 and T2 units are all very good quality. B2 and BQ are good as well, though on the lower end. 

The G1 and regular B units aren't very good and the W1 and N series are terrible. 

14 minutes ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

Some say to get the cheapest one

This is what NOT to do. The psu is the only part in a pc that on failure, can kill multiple parts with it. Definitely invest in a good PSU. Good ones also have long lifespans of about 10 years, so you can use them in multiple builds, especially since the technology hasn't changed much. I would purchase at least a tier 3 from this list - 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

I would say get a SeaSonic. They are usually extremely high quality and I recommend them.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

8 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Thanks!, really appreciate it!

11 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

EVGA's GQ, GS, G2, PS, P2 and T2 units are all very good quality. B2 and BQ are good as well, though on the lower end. 

The G1 and regular B units aren't very good and the W1 and N series are terrible. 

Thanks

5 minutes ago, JDE said:

I would say get a SeaSonic. They are usually extremely high quality and I recommend them.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, OnfireYH said:

Depends, the evga NEX(G1) is mediocre, the g2/g3 is excellent.

Thanks!

25 minutes ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

I'm having trouble picking a psu. Some say to get the cheapest one and others say to spend +$150. I've picked the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 but I don't know if its any good or if 650W is even enough for a GTX 1070 and i5-7600k. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As others have said, never cheap out on a PSU.

I have had great luck with the SuperNOVA's.

Yes, the 650 should easily be enough for you based upon the 2 items that you listed even with overclocking or 2x SLI (but probably not both)

8 hours ago, TheBloodedEagle said:

{EDIT}

I've decided to go with the SuperNOVA G2 650

A 650G2/GS/G3/GQ would be fine for your system, 550W even.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||