Optus THREATENS to shut off Cable users in NBN-Ready Area's.

SammoFS
2 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

I know a number of people on Telstra with FTTN and get 100/40 speeds. If you are getting 44/16 on 100/40 plan with FTTP it's probably your modem or your wifi.

Wired or wireless, across 3 different modems and routers, including 2 Telstra Modems and a Netgear R6200 which worked at 100/40 in a previous town.

The NBN is Horribly inconsistent regardless or technology due to limitations of certain pieces of hardware in the switches, but i know the fibre isn't the limitation.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

Have had 100/40 FTTP for the last 18months (soon to be 200/200 wooop wooop) and its always been 98/38 very happy... I did have some small issues with packet loss during peak times but the ISP fixed that for me after some investigation. Maybe you guys should complain and get the ISP's to look into the issue and if they can't then get in touch with the TIO for resolution and to get out of a contract and go to an ISP who is has sufficient CVC bandwidth provisions. 

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

I'm currently on 100/2 Cable from Telstra... it works well. I've got a new build that's got so-called FTTN NBN coming... and this to be shared with 80+ other users?

HELL NO... I'll rather find an alternative to NBN... as this political football is a waste of time...

My profile... HERE

Join the Disqussions... https://disqus.com/home/channel/techinquisition/

32 minutes ago, JaeDee884 said:

The NBN is Horribly inconsistent regardless or technology due to limitations of certain pieces of hardware in the switches, but i know the fibre isn't the limitation.

Wrong the hardware is more than capable of delivering 100/40 in FTTP areas. What your experiencing if you are actually on FTTP is CVC congestion nothing to do with the infrastructure.

1 minute ago, JAKEBAB said:

Wrong the hardware is more than capable of delivering 100/40 in FTTP areas. What your experiencing if you are actually on FTTP is CVC congestion nothing to do with the infrastructure.

Exactly... the equipment is ready to do 1000/1000, CVC is the bottleneck and is the ISP's wrongdoing. Please do your research before complaining about technologies you obviously haven't spent the time to fathom. 

Main Rig |  Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Intel 6700k @ 5ghz | Corsair H110i GTX | 16gb Kingston HyperX 2800mhz DDR4 | Corsair hx1000i | Intel 750 400gb NVME 2.5 SSD | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 8x 4tb Seagate HDD Synology DS1813+ | BenQ XL2720T | Zowie FK1 | Corsair K70 RGB | Sennheiser HD650 | Mayflower 02DAC and Amp combo | Blue Spark Microphone | Fractal Define S | Asus GTX980ti Strix

Wife's Rig | Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe | Intel 3770k @ 4.8ghz | Corsair H100i 4x sp120 Quiet Edition | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400mhz DDR3 | Corsair ax760i | 2x 512gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD | 3x 24" Lenovo 1200p Screens  | Bit Fenix Prodigy 230mm Intake & af140 Exhaust | Gigabyte GTX780

1 hour ago, pyromaniac said:

Exactly... the equipment is ready to do 1000/1000, CVC is the bottleneck and is the ISP's wrongdoing. Please do your research before complaining about technologies you obviously haven't spent the time to fathom. 

Wait were you agreeing with me?

My bad lol.

Yes sorry... i meant the other peeps need to research :P

6 hours ago, pyromaniac said:

That's true. (*cough* MyRepublic Gigatown *Cough*)

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

On 3/12/2017 at 9:40 PM, PerfectTemplar said:

However for the price Optus charge for their cable services people can pay for an uninterrupted 100/40 connection through the NBN which is better for the environment as it uses way less power and it's more cost effective to run. 

@kiska3

Yes uses way less power with a bunch of power hungry active cooled nodes lmao!!! Also your comment on not going with dodo will fix congestion is complete bs! What will fix congestion temporarily is going with some obscure isp for a few months until more people sign up. 

Edit: Forgot to add $1b/year to Telstra for copper maintenance is much more cost effective also.

/s

13 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Yes uses way less power with a bunch of power hungry active cooled nodes lmao!!! Also your comment on not going with dodo will fix congestion is complete bs! What will fix congestion temporarily is going with some obscure isp for a few months until more people sign up. 

Edit: Forgot to add $1b/year to Telstra for copper maintenance is much more cost effective also.

/s

So, it appears you don't understand the situation. The people being affected by this are people with access to FTTP. So this is actually not relevant to the coalition's botched NBN.

Also, yeah even FTTN which is super expensive is cheaper to maintain per connection than Optus HFC. Which is why NBN is going to replace ALL of the Optus HFC (That isn't replaced with FTTP yet) with FTTC.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

1 hour ago, PerfectTemplar said:

So, it appears you don't understand the situation. The people being affected by this are people with access to FTTP. So this is actually not relevant to the coalition's botched NBN.

Also, yeah even FTTN which is super expensive is cheaper to maintain per connection than Optus HFC. Which is why NBN is going to replace ALL of the Optus HFC (That isn't replaced with FTTP yet) with FTTC.

Oi. We don't know if it's gonna be ALL of Optus HFC. It still says I'm getting HFC. I know Caroline Springs (VIC) is getting FTTC

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

1 hour ago, Rika Shiguma said:

Oi. We don't know if it's gonna be ALL of Optus HFC. It still says I'm getting HFC. I know Caroline Springs (VIC) is getting FTTC

NBN already have said ALL of Optus HFC is going to be replaced with FTTC. However, the map doesn't reflect that yet and FTTC has only been confirmed for a few suburbs. What it means is existing Optus HFC suburbs outside of the current early FTTC footprint will be delayed.

Also, this article is talking about existing connections. These people have had access to FTTP for years and are still on the old network which was always scheduled to be shut off.

EDIT: From nbn themselves last year.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/nbn-pushes-fibre-to-the-curb-for-up-to-700000-homes-and-businesses.html

I do follow the nbn and I know what I'm talking about. None of my comments are politically influenced, my person opinion is that ALL connections should be FTTP regardless of cost.

Basically Optus cable in a state where it's unusable for NBN infrastructure. Cannot support basic 100/40 let alone DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit speeds.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

4 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

I don't think you understand because from what i'm reading, it's places that have just gone RFS that are getting cut off as soon as 30 days instead of Optus waiting for the 18month coexistence period to end, so unless the coalition has created new brownsfield fiber contracts since the election (they haven't) it has nothing to do with FTTP.

Basically Optus cable in a state where it's unusable for NBN infrastructure. Cannot support basic 100/40 let alone DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit speeds.

This is what i don't understand here. You said the reason they are replacing Optus HFC is cost to maintain connection when this ^ is the actual answer and you know this so why say it's something else?

55 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

I don't think you understand because from what i'm reading, it's places that have just gone RFS that are getting cut off as soon as 30 days instead of Optus waiting for the 18month coexistence period to end, so unless the coalition has created new brownsfield fiber contracts since the election (they haven't) it has nothing to do with FTTP.

This is what i don't understand here. You said the reason they are replacing Optus HFC is cost to maintain connection when this ^ is the actual answer and you know this so why say it's something else?

Firstly, no. And yes the coalition have created new brownsfield fibre contracts. It's false to say otherwise.

Secondly, the reason NBN don't use Optus HFC is for the reasons stated. The reason for Optus cutting people off is because they are currently supporting an inefficient network.

The difference is between why nbn won't use Optus HFC in their rollout and why Optus want to cut people off existing services.

Firstly, no. And yes the coalition have created new brownsfield fibre contracts. It's false to say otherwise.

Secondly, the reason NBN don't use Optus HFC is for the reasons stated. The reason for Optus cutting people off is because they are currently supporting an inefficient network.

The difference is between why nbn won't use Optus HFC in their rollout and why Optus want to cut people off existing services.

The coalition is known to of broken contracts they said they would honor so forgive me if i ask for proof. Also i don't mean those obscure scenarios where like 2 houses in a street get fiber through a multi port or something while the rest get FTTN no, i mean whole suburb.

If thats what you meant then why did you say in your first post "It's way more expensive for both Optus and NBN to keep that network running." I'd argue it would be far cheaper for NBN to maintain it at the current state (shit state) than to over build it. If it wasn't Optus would have done it along time ago.

Interesting.... normally Optus is the one provider who doesn't disconnected your service... even after you threaten them with an Ombudsman. xD

31 minutes ago, JAKEBAB said:

The coalition is known to of broken contracts they said they would honor so forgive me if i ask for proof. Also i don't mean those obscure scenarios where like 2 houses in a street get fiber through a multi port or something while the rest get FTTN no, i mean whole suburb.

If thats what you meant then why did you say in your first post "It's way more expensive for both Optus and NBN to keep that network running." I'd argue it would be far cheaper for NBN to maintain it at the current state (shit state) than to over build it. If it wasn't Optus would have done it along time ago.

OK, you can find information about brownfields FTTP on www.nbnco.com.au 

You don't have much of an understanding of the state of Optus HFC. It's extremely expensive for them to operate and maintain, Optus would NOT have done it a long time ago because it would have been illegal to do so.

EDIT: Took me 5 seconds to find this.

https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/recent

2KNS-02
Zetland, Kensington
Brownfields FTTP    2117    30 Sep 2016    04 Mar 2017

OK, you can find information about brownfields FTTP on www.nbnco.com.au 

You don't have much of an understanding of the state of Optus HFC. It's extremely expensive for them to operate and maintain, Optus would NOT have done it a long time ago because it would have been illegal to do so.

EDIT: Took me 5 seconds to find this.

https://www.finder.com.au/nbn-tracker/recent

2KNS-02
Zetland, Kensington
Brownfields FTTP    2117    30 Sep 2016    04 Mar 2017

Care to share how it would be illegal pre NBN?

Just because fiber was built at a certain time doesn't meant the contracts were done by the Liberals e.g I only got FTTP 5 months ago thanks to Labor contracts.

d-do i get to complain about speed?

6134822936.png

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, JAKEBAB said:

Care to share how it would be illegal pre NBN?

Just because fiber was built at a certain time doesn't meant the contracts were done by the Liberals e.g I only got FTTP 5 months ago thanks to Labor contracts.

A bunch of ISPs pre 2007 election proposed a rollout of FTTN to replace ADSL, HFC and Wireless technologies currently provided. One of these ISPs included Optus. The proposal must be approved by the ACCC in order for it to be legally allowed, it was rejected. The ACCC back then said that FTTN was not reliable enough to be fair on the consumer so they said Labor's FTTP NBN policy was what they'd protect by rejecting this proposal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Australia#G9_Consortium_2007

Telstra also proposed FTTN before that which is on the same page.

EDIT: Wanted to say also, that all contracts under Labor were cancelled when the Coalition took government. So that FTTP you got 5 months ago was a Coalition contract.

22 minutes ago, PerfectTemplar said:

A bunch of ISPs pre 2007 election proposed a rollout of FTTN to replace ADSL, HFC and Wireless technologies currently provided. One of these ISPs included Optus. The proposal must be approved by the ACCC in order for it to be legally allowed, it was rejected. The ACCC back then said that FTTN was not reliable enough to be fair on the consumer so they said Labor's FTTP NBN policy was what they'd protect by rejecting this proposal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_in_Australia#G9_Consortium_2007

Telstra also proposed FTTN before that which is on the same page.

EDIT: Wanted to say also, that all contracts under Labor were cancelled when the Coalition took government. So that FTTP you got 5 months ago was a Coalition contract.

I'm aware they have to go through the ACCC but that still doesn't make it illegal also nowhere does that wiki say it was due to FTTN not being reliable. As for the Telstra thing that was due to requiring third party access (wholesaling) which isn't a surprise with how greedy Telstra is. Nothing you have provided says it's illegal just they need to negotiate terms like any infrastructure project.

Your wrong Liberals haven't done any FTTP contracts they have a strict no FTTP policy lol.

9 hours ago, PerfectTemplar said:

NBN already have said ALL of Optus HFC is going to be replaced with FTTC. However, the map doesn't reflect that yet and FTTC has only been confirmed for a few suburbs. What it means is existing Optus HFC suburbs outside of the current early FTTC footprint will be delayed.

Also, this article is talking about existing connections. These people have had access to FTTP for years and are still on the old network which was always scheduled to be shut off.

EDIT: From nbn themselves last year.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-information/media-centre/media-releases/nbn-pushes-fibre-to-the-curb-for-up-to-700000-homes-and-businesses.html

I do follow the nbn and I know what I'm talking about. None of my comments are politically influenced, my person opinion is that ALL connections should be FTTP regardless of cost.

I'll be pissed if im moved to fttc. (Which Apparently I WILL.) (According to your "know it all about the nbn" brain). 

"Optus cable in a state where it's unusable for NBN infrastructure" Are you talking about HFC or legit actual "Cable" you choose on their website. Fibre To the Kerb (YES I KNOW ITS FIBER TO THE CURB FOR AMERICANS IM USING THE AUSTRALIAN SPELLING BECAUSE... ykno im aussie.) I guess I wouldn't mind having but.. HFC w/ Docsis 3.1 Up to Gigabit I would prefer that. I'm not trying to fight or anything but.. Bill Morrow and the other fucking Idiot's who think of what to deploy are just MASSIVE IDIOTS.

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)

5 minutes ago, Rika Shiguma said:

I'll be pissed if im moved to fttc. (Which Apparently I WILL.) (According to your "know it all about the nbn" brain). 

"Optus cable in a state where it's unusable for NBN infrastructure" Are you talking about HFC or legit actual "Cable" you choose on their website. Fibre To the Kerb (YES I KNOW ITS FIBER TO THE CURB FOR AMERICANS IM USING THE AUSTRALIAN SPELLING BECAUSE... ykno im aussie.) I guess I wouldn't mind having but.. HFC w/ Docsis 3.1 Up to Gigabit I would prefer that. I'm not trying to fight or anything but.. Bill Morrow and the other fucking Idiot's who think of what to deploy are just MASSIVE IDIOTS.

implying that the Australian Gov. even know what the fuck they're actually doing

implying that our entire political system isn't like shooting shit at a Delta fan

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

implying that the Australian Gov. even know what the fuck they're actually doing

implying that our entire political system isn't like shooting shit at a Delta fan

?????

Ryzen 5 3600

RX 590 8GB 

WD Blue 1TB

(full specs on profile)