And so it has begun!

mrzoltowski

Hey community!

So inspired by LinustTechTips (only found the channel 6 weeks ago) I have decided to get off my lazy ass and build myself a new PC.

I have been using a crappy Lenovo Razer Blade that I upgraded to as much as I could, new MSI Aero Nvidia GTX 1080, New 850W PSU, 2 x 1TB Samsung 850 Evo, 2 x 2TB WD Black
The thing ran hot as hell when I tried to render anything, or encode video. 89C!!! Mind you the old case was poorly ventilated and had a tiny little fan at the back.

So I decided to start with a case to get my juices flowing, I have a huge white angular desk (courtesy of Ikea) and I wanted something nice to complement it. so I opted for the Corsair Carbide Series 400C in White I saw it mentioned by @LinusTech and @Slick. They seem to trust this brand so I decided to go for that one. It wasn't too expensive, it looks great and is super easy to set up, everything ends up looking nice and neat. The two included fans are not too loud and work great. And it compliments my black Oculus Rift nicely.

Internal lighting are cheap £13 ($15 USD?) (for the whole kit!!); 2 x 30cm magnetic LED strips, with a remote control for colour and brightness change, they are built well and work great!  
(here is a link if ure interested https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HXORJZ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bought a new CPU heatsink to replace the ridiculously small and ineffective stock cooler, with Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo 

And boy did the whole thing make a difference, now at full load the CPU barely touches 60C (down from a blazing 89C!)

So now that I have the bug, I am putting away some budget for the rest of the components, I am thinking (from what I seen @LinusTech like, plus Id like to support their sponsors also):

• Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz
  • ASUS Maximus XI Hero
  • 32 GB Corsair (2 x 16 GB) Vengeance LPX DDR4
  • And an integrated water cooler for the CPU, but not quite sure what to get!

All in all I am happy with the progress, I also might splash out on a LG 34UC98-W 34 Curved Ultrawide as the videos made me drool.

Will update on my progress in the near future!

Cheers guys and gals

build_step1.jpg

5 hours ago, Slick said:

Love the setup dude - looks clean :D

holy shit you got a reply from the boss. I wonder why my post never gets reply from Slick

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

holy shit you got a reply from the boss. I wonder why my post never gets reply from Slick

Not only that he replied quicker than you! World record!!!! /s (or is it)

Nice setup! Much better than most people who think they know what they're doing.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

5 hours ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Nice setup! Much better than most people who think they know what they're doing.

I know what I am doing yet my setup looks like a garbage bin

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

It's called the Lafrèniere Lottery; you stand a one-in-a-million chance of winning. :P 

@mrzoltowski Very neat! I am very happy you're replacing that CPU cooler though, because no matter how many fancy red lights you shine on it, a Hyper 212 is and will remain an incredibly ugly thing.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

I know what I am doing yet my setup looks like a garbage bin

My setup looks like trash right now because of future plans. Not cable managing when I am getting a new case soon lol

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

15 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Thanks man, last time I built a PC was 15 years ago (im 34 now) I used to build them for everyone. Then I started my own Creative Agency and never really bothered to as I got lazy, then I found LTT and now I got the PC build Bug! Im so behind with the technology and specs, but @LinusTechs channel has really caught me up to speed. 

@rjfaber91 Yeah, I want a fancy one with RGB!! Any suggestions? 

23 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

I know! I fangirled a bit.  

3 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Thanks man, last time I built a PC was 15 years ago (im 34 now) I used to build them for everyone. Then I started my own Creative Agency and never really bothered to as I got lazy, then I found LTT and now I got the PC build Bug! Im so behind with the technology and specs, but @LinusTechs channel has really caught me up to speed. 

I think there's a few AIOs with RGB lighting on it, but I'm not a massive fan of AIOs myself. As for air coolers, I'm not sure there is an RGB one yet. Having said that, you can't go wrong with a nice plain-black cooler, I think.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Just now, rjfaber91 said:

I think there's a few AIOs with RGB lighting on it, but I'm not a massive fan of AIOs myself. As for air coolers, I'm not sure there is an RGB one yet. Having said that, you can't go wrong with a nice plain-black cooler, I think.

Just had a look at your build log, and can see you clearly know what you are talking about, is the AIO a personal preference thing? Or are they unreliable and are not really that great? (I'm a complete noob)

8 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

As for cooler suggestion.. probably one of the best "RGB" ones that also performs very well has got to be the NZXT Kraken X52.

6 hours ago, mrzoltowski said:

Just had a look at your build log, and can see you clearly know what you are talking about, is the AIO a personal preference thing? Or are they unreliable and are not really that great? (I'm a complete noob)

There have been a few horror stories about leaking tubing and failing pumps with AIOs, but I never got the impression those are anything other than a rarity. No, the reason I don't like AIOs is purely down to aesthetics. Both custom hardline watercooling loops and tower air coolers can look very clean and neat, but AIOs always have those rather unattractive tubes coming out of them and being routed through the case at weird angles. I just don't like the look of that, personally.

3 minutes ago, rjfaber91 said:

There have been a few horror stories about leaking tubing and failing pumps with AIOs, but I never got the impression those are anything other than a rarity. No, the reason I don't like AIOs is purely down to aesthetics. Both custom hardline watercooling loops and tower air coolers can look very clean and neat, but AIOs always have those rather unattractive tubes coming out of them and being routed through the case at weird angles. I just don't like the look of that, personally.

I have always been told electronics and water dont mix! I do like learning new things, and trying out the latest tech. I am still on the fence with that.

Are there any AIR coolers that match AIO cooling in terms of performance?

3 hours ago, mrzoltowski said:

I have always been told electronics and water dont mix! I do like learning new things, and trying out the latest tech. I am still on the fence with that.

Are there any AIR coolers that match AIO cooling in terms of performance?

Absolutely. Large dual-tower air coolers like the Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua NH-D15 and BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro can offer cooling performance in the same range as an AIO. The added advantage that these coolers offer is indeed that there's no chance of leaks or pump failures occuring over time, but a downside is that they are absolutely enormous and so block the view to a lot of components. Don't expect to still be able to look at your DIMMs or motherboard VRMs once you've put one of these coolers on top of it...

Very clean build man! Congrats on the 10 year upgrade!

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB

@rjfaber91 Thanks for the info man! Definitely helpful.

Contacted a Chinese company making transparent LCD panels, guess what I am planning to do!

So i figured I could get a tiny Arduino pc in there running ubuntu and some looping videos and use the transparent LCD on the clear side of the case. 

13 hours ago, Brehohn said:

Very clean build man! Congrats on the 10 year upgrade!

Thanks!, Contacted a Chinese company about a transparent LCD panel. Figured I could get an Arduino in there with some looping animations and stick the LCD on the clear panel in the case. 

24 minutes ago, mrzoltowski said:

Thanks!, Contacted a Chinese company about a transparent LCD panel. Figured I could get an Arduino in there with some looping animations and stick the LCD on the clear panel in the case. 

If I only I understood how to Arduino.

*Insert Name* R̶y̶z̶e̶n̶ Intel Build!  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/748542-insert-name-r̶y̶z̶e̶n̶-intel-build/

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Matte White Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS Z270X Gaming 5 CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K GPU: ASUS STRIX OC GTX 1080 RAM: Corsair Ballistix Sport LT 2400mhz Cooler: Enermax ETS-T40F-BK PSU: Corsair CX750M SSD: PNY CS1311 120GB HDD: Seagate Momentum 2.5" 7200RPM 500GB