Ryzen Overclocking and Simultaneous Multithreading Info

Techstorm970
1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

A slightly more technical explanation of what that even means wouldn't hurt :P 

Probably...:P

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

who are these experts everyone talks about all the time.

everytime you watch some late night show discussion they alos always invite these people where the on screen title only says "expert". i always feel like they like hearing themselves talk a little bit too much.

i for one will believe it if it actually out and people stop benefitting from the hype.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

On 2/20/2017 at 1:02 AM, MageTank said:

I consider myself to be a competent overclocker, and the 4690k sitting behind me was only able to hit 4.4ghz. It's voltwage wall happened at 1.25v, and even at 1.3v, couldn't hit 4.5. This is with a PH-TC14PE strapped to it. It's not limited by thermals either, it simply falls unstable after 4.4. If you'd like to count the 4690k's and get the exact average, by all means, I won't stop you, lol: http://www.overclock.net/t/1490324/the-intel-devils-canyon-owners-club

Seems like you lost the silicon lottery. Haswell specifically had a wide range of max frequencies. I for example could hit 4.8GHz on my 4770k without touching the voltage. Come to think of it, might be because Intel changes their binning procedure to get more 'desirable' chips for those top mainstream SKUs.

20 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

A slightly more technical explanation of what that even means wouldn't hurt :P 

Probably means it has more dedicated resources for each thread. This could also be a downside if not done right, because if not used by the other thread, it might be sitting there doing nothing.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

1 hour ago, Tomsen said:

Seems like you lost the silicon lottery. Haswell specifically had a wide range of max frequencies. I for example could hit 4.8GHz on my 4770k without touching the voltage. Come to think of it, might be because Intel changes their binning procedure to get more 'desirable' chips for those top mainstream SKUs.

Are you sure you didn't leave it on auto or something?  That sounds impossible O.o

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Tomsen said:

Probably means it has more dedicated resources for each thread. This could also be a downside if not done right, because if not used by the other thread, it might be sitting there doing nothing.

my 4770k is a turd. I cant go higher then 4.4Ghz because I can't keep it cool even with my custom loop. I am sure I need to delid it to even try to keep it cool. I am no longer going to buy a Z chipset CPU again. it will be X99 or ryzen

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

10 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are you sure you didn't leave it on auto or something?  That sounds impossible O.o

Yeah, I just forgot. I set it to 1.215v

It has being a couple of years since I did that tho, I'm actually interested to see if it still holds up.

Please avoid feeding the argumentative narcissistic academic monkey.

"the last 20 percent – going from demo to production-worthy algorithm – is both hard and is time-consuming. The last 20 percent is what separates the men from the boys" - Mobileye CEO

16 minutes ago, Tomsen said:

Yeah, I just forgot. I set it to 1.215v

It has being a couple of years since I did that tho, I'm actually interested to see if it still holds up.

That's still incredible and definitely atypical :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's still incredible and definitely atypical :D 

Yeah...I had my 4770k set to 1.318 to get 4.6ghz and that was on a custom loop with a triple rad......

1 minute ago, Rune said:

Yeah...I had my 4770k set to 1.218 to get 4.6ghz and that was on a custom loop with a triple rad......

Then there's mine that can do 4.0 GHz but not 4.1 at 1.22 v

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then there's mine that can do 4.0 GHz but not 4.1 at 1.22 v

You quoted me before I could edit. Meant 1.318 xD