USB Killer now for Type C and Lightning Connectors

So it appears that the company that built the USB Killer has a new version and adaptors to let it work on Lightning and Type C ports as well as a more inconspicuous version. The Ars Technica article talks about how the adaptors are an issue since supposed the USB-C and Lightning authentication specs might have prevented the USB Killer from working, however this has apparently been worked around.

In the article

'A spokesperson for USB Killer told Ars that the Lightning adaptor "bypasses the authentication check," without providing any more details. When it comes to USB-C, the spokesperson said, "There are multiple forms of authentication (certificate, hash, etc), some of which can be emulated."' 

Honestly, this is a bad thing and hopefully, as the article mentions, more manufacturers will install opto-isolators on the ports to try and protect from these attacks.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/02/usb-killer-fry-lightning-usb-c-devices/

kek, buy this and lay it on the ground somewhere where there is a lot of people and see the world burn.

muha.jpg

Just to be sure, please don't do this in real life. It's only a joke NEVER do it in real life.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I just use an adapter for my old Belkin mouse. That thing either kills a USB port when plugged in, or causes the device to constantly throw a fit (its a small optical mouse, with a 3.5" floppy disk containing the driver)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

kek, buy this and lay it on the ground somewhere where there is a lot of people and see the world burn.

muha.jpg

I hope you're trying to make yourself look bad...

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

I hope you're trying to make yourself look bad...

maybe I like seeing the world burn, maybe I said it because it needed to be said, who knows. xD 

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

maybe I like seeing the world burn, maybe I said it because it needed to be said, who knows. xD 

Actually i'm pretty sure it's because you're trying to be edgy. Please, just stop.

1 minute ago, potoooooooo said:

Actually i'm pretty sure it's because you're trying to be edgy. Please, just stop.

oh calm down, it's a joke don't take it so hard.

Not trying to be anything, I just have dark humor. 

53 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

Honestly, this is a bad thing and hopefully, as the article mentions, more manufacturers will install opto-isolators on the ports to try and protect from these attacks.

they can't install optocouplers on power pins, only on data ports

and if memory serves, USB Killer introduces negative voltage to those power pins, not the data pins

29 minutes ago, zMeul said:

they can't install optocouplers on power pins, only on data ports

and if memory serves, USB Killer introduces negative voltage to those power pins, not the data pins

My understanding is that the Optocouplers isolates out the power and data from the rest of the system...  Basically, if a USB Killer is plugged into a port that has a optocoupler, it would act like a fuse in a circuit breaker and fry the coupler before any damage is done to the rest of the system...  Not an ideal solution, but still better than complete system failure.

Why is USB Killer allowed to exist? It's so stupid why anybody who allow this product to exist.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

My understanding is that the Optocouplers isolates out the power and data from the rest of the system...  Basically, if a USB Killer is plugged into a port that has a optocoupler, it would act like a fuse in a circuit breaker and fry the coupler before any damage is done to the rest of the system...  Not an ideal solution, but still better than complete system failure.

optocouplers use light, IR, to isolate paths

but optocouplers do not transfer power - basically they can, but not in the amount needed to power (USB) devices

10 hours ago, zMeul said:

optocouplers use light, IR, to isolate paths

but optocouplers do not transfer power - basically they can, but not in the amount needed to power (USB) devices

I agree that they do not transfer power, at least not in any sufficient supply, but they can be used to help protect systems from power surges.  Unfortunately, some combination of opto-isolator and surge protector/fuse is what would be required to defeat the kind of malicious attacks that occur from a device like USB Killer.  The biggest downside though is that to protect the data transmission channels, you are going to end up increasing latency and limiting data transmission speeds.  From what I've seen on the commercially available side, opto-isolators are primarily working at around USB 2.0 data transmission speeds.  To add into this though, there is no reason that this kind of tech should be limited to the USB ports on your devices.  I can imagine that if this works over USB, then there is no reason that someone cannot get this to work on a PoE Port.  

10 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why is USB Killer allowed to exist? It's so stupid why anybody who allow this product to exist.

While I disagree with the use of this device in a malicious environment, it is a good thing to know that this kind of attack is possible so that manufacturers and consumers can defend against them.  As for non-malicious uses, this would be good for an industrial use of product testing or for a personal use if you have a personal device that you want to brick to prevent any future use...  

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I'm tempted to do this at the office, but I'd feel bad for the people in IT.

19 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Just to be sure, please don't do this in real life. It's only a joke NEVER do it in real life.

I'm totally not going to do it.

11 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

The same reason you're allowed to have your wrong opinion about the Apple Touchbar.

7 hours ago, WMGroomAK said:

I agree that they do not transfer power, at least not in any sufficient supply, but they can be used to help protect systems from power surges.  Unfortunately, some combination of opto-isolator and surge protector/fuse is what would be required to defeat the kind of malicious attacks that occur from a device like USB Killer.  The biggest downside though is that to protect the data transmission channels, you are going to end up increasing latency and limiting data transmission speeds.  From what I've seen on the commercially available side, opto-isolators are primarily working at around USB 2.0 data transmission speeds.  To add into this though, there is no reason that this kind of tech should be limited to the USB ports on your devices.  I can imagine that if this works over USB, then there is no reason that someone cannot get this to work on a PoE Port.  

While I disagree with the use of this device in a malicious environment, it is a good thing to know that this kind of attack is possible so that manufacturers and consumers can defend against them.  As for non-malicious uses, this would be good for an industrial use of product testing or for a personal use if you have a personal device that you want to brick to prevent any future use...  

Whats the point of the later? It only kills the motherboard not the harddrive or ssd

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |