Switch might need a smartphone app for matchmaking services and VoIP. What?

Master Disaster

Honestly how is this any different than any other console that you take with you out of the house?

The phone messaging stuff sounds the same as Sony's PlayStation, PS Messages, and Communities apps.

The whole mobile tethering thing seems like what you have right now with the 3DS.

8 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Well then maybe they should ditch the stupid effort to make gold out of poo and make an actual console with real hardware that can handle its job on its own without the need to proxy essential system tasks to other hardware.

Or maybe they should continue doing what they believe is the best, as long as they get enough customers. If you compare the Switch to PS4 and Xbone, it is lacking in power yes. But for that size? And the portability aspect? It's amazing

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

5 minutes ago, aerandir92 said:

Or maybe they should continue doing what they believe is the best, as long as they get enough customers. If you compare the Switch to PS4 and Xbone, it is lacking in power yes. But for that size? And the portability aspect? It's amazing

Yeah, because the N64, GameCube and Wii U really worked out well for them.

Nintendo still haven't learnt the lessons of the past.

N64 was the most powerful console of its generation but they decided to cling onto cartridges which were more expensive and had less capacity. That failed so they moved onto proprietary CDs which were smaller in size and more prone to scratches than regular discs. The Wii was sheer luck, nothing more then the Wii U was trying to cling onto the success of the Wii long after it died and turned into a clusterfuck.

The simple fact is they don't have enough customers hence why they dropped the Wii U so quickly and Switch is doing nothing to help them out. Its less powerful than its rivals for the same price, has far less games on it which dont look as nice and its gimmick is portability as long as you keep it tethered to another device.

As someone else said earlier, old Japanese men decisions. Out of touch and frankly baffling.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

It makes sense... while not conventional, if you think about it, you can chat with your friends, setup a match while not having the Switch, or getting it out from your bag or whatever you put it.

In addition:

• You can have the Switch to connect to your phone mobile network for online play. No need for an LTE version.
  • You don't need to set it up like this even, if you are on the bus or whatever, just to chat you can use your phone. And you can go "Hey guys I'll be home in 5min, let's play when I get there!".

and possibly more, like check stats, setup a tournament, while on your way home, etc

It only opens doors.

So it is actually very smart on that end. I was too scratching my head, but it clicked during this silly interview.

So yea, I switch my mind. Stupid puns aside, but seriously

10 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

No no no!  Let me explain since I own a Vita.

At home, you need wifi or a LAN cable.  However, on the go, you need the phone.  The vita had a SIM slot for this, so it's not an original idea.  Heck, even the Nokia NGage did this while on the go.  It's just if you want to play MP on the go.

So if I'm not docked and have access to WiFi, this requirement makes sense? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

[removed]

Allowing people to chat through a smartphone app is one thing. To make the Switch require it while not docked is another. Now, you must manage two devices when it comes to battery life in order to play multiplayer instead of just the Switch, and what about data limits?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

For what the Switch is, this design works wonders, though as always it isn't perfect! People who are mad about it were just hoping that the Switch would be like the Xbox One or PS4.

Hopefully the Switch doesn't rely solely on the App for all online interactivity.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Allowing people to chat through a smartphone app is one thing. To make the Switch require it while not docked is another. Now, you must manage two devices when it comes to battery life in order to play multiplayer instead of just the Switch, and what about data limits?

I am sorry, but don't buy a phone with 30min of battery life. As for data limit, if you are playing a multiplayer game, you would be on WiFi. And if you wanted to play though your phone (Mobile hotspot), then you would know that you have plan and data bandwidth to be allow online gaming with or without voice chat.

17 hours ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

It makes sense

It really, really does not: Nobody was even expecting or would even be able to play on 4G without ass raping their data plan for the month or getting throttled out of it immediately by the carriers.

-------

Current Rig

-------

3 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

It really, really does not: Nobody was even expecting or would even be able to play on 4G without ass raping their data plan for the month or getting throttled out of it immediately by the carriers.

As oppose of what? Getting a Switch with LTE network, where you need to buy its own plan and... oh wait same problem.

When you are at home, you have WiFi. Your phone and the Switch will connect to it.

14 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

It probably has a wifi/3G[or whatever] like the original fat vita.

WiFi only. There is no slot for a SIM card.

(USB Ethernet can be used with the dock station... maybe even through the USB Type-C connector to.. I mean, I don't see why not You need an adapter, if you use the official Nintendo USB Ethernet adapter.. don't know if others will work.. depends on the OS/drivers of the system)

30 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

As oppose of what?

Wifi: Hotspots and docked play only. Why is there such a big fucking problem with playing offline games while on the move? If they can't come up with an elegant solution to make it happen then why bother?

-------

Current Rig

-------

31 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Wifi: Hotspots and docked play only. Why is there such a big fucking problem with playing offline games while on the move? If they can't come up with an elegant solution to make it happen then why bother?

I am confused...

You don't need to be online to play single player

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I am confused...

I don't believe that you are, but for the sake of everyone: I am saying that a janky, crappy implementation of online play that requires a completely separate external device to function that's 1) Not included and 2) Not even sold by Nintendo themselves is quite fucking pointless and stupid just for the sake of ONE feature (playing online on mobile data) that most people can't afford to use anyway and probably wouldn't miss since they still have access to the device on single player mode for those very brief moments where they might be unable to just access wifi somewhere (be it at home or at a non-moving location)

-------

Current Rig

-------

As stupid as it is if have to be tethered to your phone at all times (which doesn't appear to be the case) it's not exactly impossible for it to work. Not everyone are muricans. In the civilized world we have affordable plans with enough data to play on a Switch daily and overage charges are illegal. Besides, gaming does not use that much data. Video streaming requires more.

1 minute ago, Trixanity said:

As stupid as it is if have to be tethered to your phone at all times (which doesn't appear to be the case) it's not exactly impossible for it to work. Not everyone are muricans. In the civilized world we have affordable plans with enough data to play on a Switch daily and overage charges are illegal. Besides, gaming does not use that much data. Video streaming requires more.

The problem I see with it is that not everyone has a smart phone, particularly when you start looking at people under 15, under 10, etc. which surely is a decent portion of the intended audience for this thing...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

The problem I see with it is that not everyone has a smart phone, particularly when you start looking at people under 15, under 10, etc. which surely is a decent portion of the intended audience for this thing...

I'd say a lot of those who can afford this over 10 have smartphones in this day and age. The rest can probably get by with single player games when out and about. Isn't there age restrictions on online play too?

1 hour ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Isn't that good, and the point?

You are not going to have kids start insulting or hearing insults online, and they'll need their parents phones to play online, allowing parents to supervise them. The online saltiness is one of the big reasons why Nintendo was reluctant to bring voice chat.

Nintendo is a toy company at its roots. And they goal is to make family friendly entertainment devices for all ages. See it as the Walt-Disney of video gaming, and it is an image they want to have and keep. That doesn't mean that they don't do or publish more mature content at times, but they don't want parents complaining that the online experience made their kids learns words that the parents didn't want them to hear, if you know what I mean.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, huilun02 said:

For the 900th time,

Old Japanese men

Old Japanese men getting wet over the idea of using old fashioned ideas and technology.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),