Had my first beer.

Okjoek
22 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

We're talking about beer here, not dishwater

Shots fired.

16 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Cider is becoming a bit more popular in Ontario. Coolers (usually vodka or rum) are normally the popular alternative to beer. I personally dislike all hard liquor. I find the taste much worse then beer.

I could see myself trying hard cider. I only chose root beer because that and Dr pepper are my favorite soft drink flavors.

@dalekphalm

My argument is loose af because I'm about to nod off but essentially the reason that beer is so "good" is that it contains certain chemicals (e.g: antioxidants) but they can just as easily be had from eating a couple of blueberries. With the food-based option, you don't poison your body essentially; the article praised dark beers but they're usually the ones containing most toxins.

So like yes there's a benefit to drinking beer but drinking it solely for health reasons is a bad idea because planning your diet will bring the same benefits.

Still, I can't be arsed with that and I still drink... but it's not good for me.

2 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Shots fired.

I could see myself trying hard cider. I only chose root beer because that and Dr pepper are my favorite soft drink flavors.

Cider can be extremely delicious. They come in a lot of flavours now, including fruity ones, for people who prefer a sweeter taste, rather than bitter.

2 minutes ago, Mug said:

@dalekphalm

My argument is loose af because I'm about to nod off but essentially the reason that beer is so "good" is that it contains certain chemicals (e.g: antioxidants) but they can just as easily be had from eating a couple of blueberries. With the food-based option, you don't poison your body essentially; the article praised dark beers but they're usually the ones containing most toxins.

So like yes there's a benefit to drinking beer but drinking it solely for health reasons is a bad idea because planning your diet will bring the same benefits.

Still, I can't be arsed with that and I still drink... but it's not good for me.

If you can link some sources that specifically state that all the health benefits from beer can be had from blueberries, that'd be great. You could make the exact same argument about blueberries "They aren't ACTUALLY good for you, it's just the antioxidants!"

I agree that you shouldn't drink alcohol for the sole purpose of health benefits. Drink alcohol because you enjoy the flavour. But if you have a beer once a day, it won't kill you, or make you any less healthy, and in some circumstances, it could improve your health.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

17 hours ago, Okjoek said:

Not sure it's really appropriate, but I just felt like telling someone. Is it strange that I'm 22 and I've waited this long before trying? Wasn't sure if I even wanted to. Some people say there's health benefits and others say there's absolutely nothing good about it. Either way it's some kind of hard root beer flavored stuff at 5.? percent alcohol.

Not exactly feeling very much. I wonder if it's because I'm over 200 lb and ate several slices of pizza while I had it and then proceeded to drink a whole bottle of water, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be feeling something. I don't think I'm going to have it again, the alcohol made the rootbeer taste like crap IMO. I think I might feel a little disoriented, but IDK if it's actually the alcohol...

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet but it sounds like you had hard rootbeer not beer.  If it tasted at all like rootbeer or has the words rootbeer anywere then it wasn't beer.

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

4 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Cider is becoming a bit more popular in Ontario. Coolers (usually vodka or rum) are normally the popular alternative to beer. I personally dislike all hard liquor. I find the taste much worse then beer.

It's worth developing a taste for the hard stuff, only a fraction of the liquid consumed versus beer, and therefore far less of the night spend looking for somewhere to piss. 

34 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

It's worth developing a taste for the hard stuff, only a fraction of the liquid consumed versus beer, and therefore far less of the night spend looking for somewhere to piss. 

Or, you know, don't worry about it since I don't binge drink anymore :P

I am very unlikely to follow your advice. I'll stick to drinking my 1 or 2 coors light :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Alcohol doesn't taste good, but as you grow older your taste buds change and you begin to be able to deal with the more bitter flavors.

Personally, I'm like the majority here. I hated beer. I hated coffee (still do.) I can't do bitter things. I just really don't like them. However, as I've moved on into my late 20s, I can now drink a (golden) beer without feeling like I'm going to throw up. In college if I ever drank a beer I literally felt ill. Now, I'm no stranger to alcohol, but for me it was always liquor in college. I was the one who'd bring a fifth (or two) to the party. Besides, that's what the girls like to drink anyway. ;) That's not a bad hint. If you want to have an easy way to make friends with girls at parties, bring fruity/candy flavored liquor. UV blue (and the other colors) are extremely easy to drink. My favorite was ICE 101. 101 proof peppermint schnapps. It was cheap and gives you kissable fresh breath as you drank it. Virtually tasted like you just popped a bunch of those white lifesavers in your mouth and started chewing. (I'm not even exaggerating, every person I've seen drink that describes it the same way. Try it, it's cheap.) You can get much better flavored liquor than you can beer, and it gets you drunk faster, and that's the point when you're young. 

My first drinking experience was drinking 8 shots of Jagermeister over the course of an hour. That was an awful idea. Luckily I had just eaten so it wasn't too bad.

In fact, if I eat before I drink, it's quite difficult for me to get drunk. (Barring the obvious chugging any alcohol I see.)