Why is the EVGA B series roasted so much?

thenastyjbenny

So I bought the EVGA 700B to power my rig, but I see everyone on the forums in this section (Cases and PSUs) roasting it. One person said "why does this even exist". However, I'm not a PSU nerd if you will, so I don't know what's wrong with a 80+ bronze certified 700 watts of power. I didn't have a huge budget at the time so It's what I had to settle for.

Could someone educate me?

Thanks.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

So I bought the EVGA 700B to power my rig, but I see everyone on the forums in this section (Cases and PSUs) roasting it. One person said "why does this even exist". However, I'm not a PSU nerd if you will, so I don't know what's wrong with a 80+ bronze certified 700 watts of power. I didn't have a huge budget at the time so It's what I had to settle for.

Thanks.

Nothing is wrong with it (although it is overkill for most single-GPU systems). It just doesn't look that nice, and could perform better. It is perfectly adequate for budget systems, though.

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

1 minute ago, tarfeef101 said:

Nothing is wrong with it (although it is overkill for most single-GPU systems). It just doesn't look that nice, and could perform better. It is perfectly adequate for budget systems, though.

Well i'm looking to upgrade to a R9 Fury so yeah. That thing is a power monster.

Thanks for the input.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

• EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
  •  

yup that's my power supply, it worked very well for me its just they are not the highest quality power supply.

also my system is an monster. 

Because PSU snobs who think that units which aren't top of the line will set your computer on fire. It's just like audiophiles and their placebo quality.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Thanks.

The 700B makes literally zero sense. The 450B is the only PSU that should be considered from the lineup. It's built as well as the 600 and 700B (which is to say "ok") but is at a price point that makes sense and a wattage output that makes sense. No system that requires 700W should ever be powered by a 700B, it's a mediocre PSU and has a sleeve-bearing fan and does not make sense whatsoever. The 750B2 is a much better PSU for the job.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I don't think it's a terrible PSU, I just don't think it's a good "700 watt" PSU. If you need a 700 watt PSU I wouldn't cheap out on it - 80+ Gold would be better.

Just now, AlwaysFSX said:

Because PSU snobs who think that units which aren't top of the line will set your computer on fire. It's just like audiophiles and their placebo quality.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me stop you right there. My Headphone Optimized Transducer increases the audio quality of my Audeze LCD-4 tenfold.

To make it short:

if your system uses 700W, you probably should buy a PSU better suited for the job.

Also, the value is pretty terrible, you can get a 750B2 for not much more and it performs much better and is also semi-modular.

With the evga B3 around the corner, they will feature great performance, excellent build quality (OEM is superflower), full-modularity at a surprisingly low price.

Oh, and it has a sleeve-bearing fan, classic!

Cause 700B is not that big of a difference in price compared to the 750B2 but the B2 is MUCH better quality wise. 

"Rawr XD"