Go with Intel or wait for Ryzen?

Currently I'm rocking a solid i5-3440 on an old ASUS board. I'm looking at upgrading it to match my GTX 1070 but I'm not sure whether I should jump right now onto the i5-7600K with Z170 motherboard, or wait for AMD Ryzen and go with that. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but definitely interested in what your thoughts are for upgrades.

Wait for AMD's offering if in no hurry like you say. I know these are exciting times for the (desktop) PC and patience will be tested for a lot of us.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I don't really have too much of a budget constraint, but hopefully Ryzen hits Australia reasonably quickly.

Rayzen and vega, that's going to be my next rig. Then I'll play everything at 4k

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

joking aside, you can wait forever, or wait until the moment you need a new part, and buy whatever is available at the time. there will always be a new part at the horizon to wait for.

I'm not joking and you're thinking of the wrong kind of jetpack. i think it was intel that showed off somewhere a backpack with a laptop for VR without cords. thats what I'm waiting for, jetpacks

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

13 minutes ago, Tragic Carl said:

Currently I'm rocking a solid i5-3440 on an old ASUS board. I'm looking at upgrading it to match my GTX 1070 but I'm not sure whether I should jump right now onto the i5-7600K with Z170 motherboard, or wait for AMD Ryzen and go with that. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but definitely interested in what your thoughts are for upgrades.

If you're not in any rush, wait. Kaby Lake isn't going to be any more or less shit in a few months, and Skylake is what it is at this point.

2 minutes ago, Jamtoad said:

Rayzen and vega, that's going to be my next rig. Then I'll play everything at 4k

68307506.jpg

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I'm not joking and you're thinking of the wrong kind of jetpack. i think it was intel that showed off somewhere a backpack with a laptop for VR without cords. thats what I'm waiting for, jetpacks

Didn't either Gigabyte or ASUS show one of those off at CES? A VR backpack that doubles as a desktop gaming PC when you're not wearing it?

1 minute ago, aisle9 said:

If you're not in any rush, wait. Kaby Lake isn't going to be any more or less shit in a few months, and Skylake is what it is at this point.

I know it's the right thing to do, but man the anticipation is killing me. I so want to get my hands on something that isn't a 3rd gen processor and a stock CPU cooler.

15 minutes ago, Tragic Carl said:

Your processor seems fine. Whatever you choose I would just wait for sales either way. :D

Didn't either Gigabyte or ASUS show one of those off at CES? A VR backpack that doubles as a desktop gaming PC when you're not wearing it?

They did, I think Luke did a video with it. It looked pretty neat, but I'm not sure how viable it really will be for normal use.

yeah i can't remember companies involved but i find articles through google with "VR jetpack"

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, Tragic Carl said:

I know it's the right thing to do, but man the anticipation is killing me. I so want to get my hands on something that isn't a 3rd gen processor and a stock CPU cooler.

1hbe64.jpg

7 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

68307506.jpg

Going off what was seen at CES is fair

Lol Reread it

1 minute ago, Jamtoad said:

Going off what was seen at CES, I have seen zero third party benchmarks.

The phrase "VR for the masses" has caused me to throw any non-consumer benchmarks made on cherry-picked AMD silicon into the bullshyte bin.

11 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Your processor seems fine. Whatever you choose I would just wait for sales either way. :D

Sales in Australia? Noooo

6 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

The phrase "VR for the masses" has caused me to throw any non-consumer benchmarks made on cherry-picked AMD silicon into the bullshyte bin.

Marketing lol the same reason they use paint as milk in commercials.

1 hour ago, Tragic Carl said:

Sales in Australia? Noooo

Oh? mwave doesn't have decent deals? D:

23 minutes ago, MaxBunny said:

Oh? mwave doesn't have decent deals? D:

True, I hadn't checked their deals out. The bundle deals look pretty cool. I guess I'll keep a look out for a deal on the Kaby Lake CPU and Z270 Motherboard.